Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   44. Mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/44-mag-57753/)

SingleLiberty24 02-15-2012 01:45 AM

44. Mag

Am 14 years old and weight 80-90 pounds and I want to shoot a 44. Mag anything I need to know

WhaleNoises 02-15-2012 02:31 AM

This guy was a marine all his life and at the end of the video he said he didn't want to shoot the .44 mag a second time.

JTJ 02-15-2012 03:25 AM

Dont choke it to death. The 44 mag is really not that bad to shoot. It is a heavy gun as is suitable for its power level. I am not a big guy and did not have a problem with the Ruger Red Hawk I owned. A lot of people make it out to be more than it is. My daughter fired it with no problem and has shot her husbands S&W. My 13 year old grandson shot his dads S&W. His only problem was holding it up for more than a few shots at a time.

Tackleberry1 02-15-2012 03:32 AM

Your bi line tells my you've done some wing shooting?

If you can handle a 12 G shotgun, you can handle a .44 Magnum.

And don't worry about what the former Marine said. Everyone knows real men join the Army and choose the Infantry.:)

Tack

NativH 02-15-2012 12:43 PM

The 44 mag and 357 mag are both great rounds and no big deal to handle. Step up to 454 Casull or one of the Linebaugh rounds and you will have a slightly different experience. Just get a nice Ruger, S&W, etc., 44 mag and enjoy yourself.

hardluk1 02-15-2012 05:44 PM

You can allways start with 44 special ammo. Atleast for the firt box full. keep your brass for reloading too. Sa revolvers tend to roll up in the hand. DA revolvers for the most part push back more than up and don't have the roll that a SA style revolver has. Grips can change how they feel to. A soft rubber grips on a DA will make holding on easier too and the 2 main grip makes offer very different designs. Like pachmayr and hogue.

BlueTurf 02-16-2012 12:33 AM

I think you need to be prepared for some serious recoil. I have a .357 Magnum and I always thought it kicked a lot. I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. My .44 mag kicks a lot more than my .357 mag, no comparison. I use full loads in both of these handguns. I am not trying to scare you but on more than one occasion I have seen a .44 mag pistol fly back and strike the shooter in the head because they were not prepared for he recoil.

CubDriver451 02-16-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

This guy was a marine all his life and at the end of the video he said he didn't want to shoot the .44 mag a second time.
Actually, R. Lee Ermey was a a Marine for 11 years before receiving a medical discharge. Although he is a combat verteran, I have never seen any indication that he is an accomplished shooter, let alone one that has experience with heavily recoiling handguns. Judging by the fact that his left hand came completely off of the grip, and the way the gun recoiled, I would guess that he has either never shot truly powerful handguns, or that he was putting on a bit of a show for the camera. Either way, it is not representative of the level of recoil and it's effect on the shooter when proper shooting techniques are employed.

My nephew has been shooting since he was quite young, has been taught how to properly position his body and how to grip the gun to dissipate recoil. He is now 16 years old, and not above average in size, but has shot many heavy recoiling handguns for several years. Get some good instruction and start with milder loads before trying the heavy hitters. Dealing with recoil is learned, and it has little to do with physical size or strength.

JW

pfev1980 02-16-2012 01:01 AM

I think he was just on his toes and not holding the gun tight. It's definitely got a little kick, but I'd imagine his reaction had more to do with being off balance.

primer1 02-16-2012 01:27 AM

A 44's recoil has a lot to do with barrel length. If its one of those 2 inch Alaskan deals use it for a boat anchor. An 8-9 inch barrel shoots pretty nice but you still want to hold on real snug. Specials is a good idea to start. As always, saftey first then enjoy.