Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 44 Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Default 44 Mag?

I got my check for my pickup being totalled. Obviously, I have to go out and buy a new 44 mag to go with all the reloading stuff I got at a yard sale. Any Suggestions? I want to get a 4 inch. And stay under a grand.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ruger Redhawk or a S&W Mpdel 29/629. You can't go wrong with either. I think the redhawk can be had in 4 inch, but I'm not certain. If you don't mind used, look for a S&W model 29/629. I prefer the action on the Smith over the Redhawk. Of course, if you run out of ammunition, you can beat a bear senseless with a Redhawk.

You can buy a new S&W 4" Mountain Gun Classic for your price range as well. I don't know if you care about the internal lock or not. The Mountain Gun is a sweet revolver.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got an extra set of 44 dies? I'm trying to feed my 629...pricey!

I'll echo CA357 here but I'm partial to S&W revolvers, especially the older ones. If I were you, I'd be looking for a 29/629, a Black/Redhawk would be a close second. Nothing wrong with the Rugers, I just have a thing for the Smiths and their sweet triggers.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #4

Liked 3714 Times on 1832 Posts
Likes Given: 1010

Default S&W 629 Mountain

Speaking of the 629, here's mine! I call her BEAR MEDICINE because I bought her after a female black w/two cub's cause me to nearly SHAT myself while fishing YAKITAT Alaska years back with my dad.

She's got the internal lock which I'm not fond of but in 6 years I've never had a problem with it. I paid around $700 back in 04. They have increased some but I'm sure you could still get one within your budget. I like the Redhawk too but I looked at just about every 44 Mag on the market before buying the Smith and I don't think anyones DA trigger pull compares to the Smith 29/629.

Good Luck.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Redhawk makes a nice 4" model.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Nothing wrong with the Rugers, I just have a thing for the Smiths and their sweet triggers.
I'm the same way and I think many of shooters are. . . The Smiths have the cosmetic beauty and smoother action in conjunction with a special charm that cannot be explained, but that charm (and beauty ) usually results in a little more "gentle care" taken by the shooter, to say the least.

The Rugers, on the other hand, can be hauled in the truck, through the woods, desert and to the range during inclement weather times and other "rougher" situations with out that guilty nagging feeling that results from using (and wanting to) your tool, but also caring for the preservation and condition of it.

You can't go wrong with either. (but don't go anywhere else ) Both Smith and Ruger make outstanding revolvers and you will know which will currently serve your needs. . . Then as soon as you wreck another pickup. . . get the other one! ! !

Old 04-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I feel inspired to crash!!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, I had a S&W model 29 Mountain Gun "Classic" with the 4" barrel it was a new model with the internal lock. It was fine, but I sold it because of a cash crunch. I also had a model 629. (I can't remember the dash number) It was an older model with a 6.5" factory ported barrel. It was by far one of my favorite revolvers ever and I miss it badly.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go see Jimmy at A Pawn for either. I'm a Ruger fan myself, but that's mostly because of the $$$ issue, I'm a bit of a cheapskate. I'd buy the Ruger, spend $12 on a Wolff spring kit, and spend some time with a fine grit stone.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to run with the Ruger crowd here. The Redhawk .44 mag is the only revolver that ever scared the sh*t outta me when I fired it.