Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   38 special thru a .38 special +p chambered gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/38-special-thru-38-special-p-chambered-gun-32599/)

tomrich 10-04-2010 03:00 PM

38 special thru a .38 special +p chambered gun

does anyone know if you can shoot 38 spl. ammo thru a 38 spl. +p chambered gun?

spittinfire 10-04-2010 03:05 PM

Yes you can. The +p only indicates that the round is loaded slightly hotter, typically for self defense rounds. You'll be fine shooting 38s thru a +p gun but don't go the other way. If a gun isn't rated for +p ammo, it shouldn't be used in that gun.

tomrich 10-04-2010 05:03 PM

thanks alot man

LONGHAIR 10-08-2010 02:40 AM

I hear they have +p+ police ammo now. Anybody hear of this ammo, It must be new i guess. I guess the gun would have to be rated also +p+ or maybe a .357 ?

c3shooter 10-08-2010 03:37 AM

Well, +P+ has been around for some time- but here is the rub.

Group called SAAMI sets industry standards for ammo. Just what pressure is a .67 Chipmunk Thrasher supposed to be? They determine that. There are only 4 cartridges that HAVE an official +p rating- 9mm Parbellum, .38 Special, and .45 ACP. ALL .38 Super ammo is +P (same size as the older .38 ACP, but a lot hotter) THERE IS NO OFFICIAL +P+. So, in theory, if your lawyers have not stopped you, you could stuff anything you want in there, and call it a +P+.

There are no degrees of dead (dead, deader, deadest). If I just gotta have more power than what the gun is designed for, get another gun- the right one. Is it going to blow your gun up? Probably not. Is it going to shorten the life of your gun a lot real fast? Oh, yeah.

diggsbakes 10-08-2010 05:59 AM

Like c3 swhootyer stated SAAMI sets the standards for ammo pressures. +p is around 10% higher for .38 special and +p+. Of coutrse it is not meant to be shot continuously in a gun chambered : .38 special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 364931)
get another gun- the right one. Is it going to blow your gun up? Probably not. Is it going to shorten the life of your gun a lot real fast? Oh, yeah.

Always the best option!;)

spittinfire 10-08-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 364931)
Just what pressure is a .67 Chipmunk Thrasher supposed to be?

Have you been having as hard of a time as I have finding ammo for yours?

c3shooter 10-08-2010 11:23 AM

Spit- I finally gave up, and went to the .67 Chipmunk Thrasher Improved. Brass holds up better on reloading, and with the shoulder angle changed, I can get another .000003 grain of IMR in there. I have been having a hard time getting the milsurp 40mm primers, tho. :p

BillM 10-08-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 365042)
Spit- I finally gave up, and went to the .67 Chipmunk Thrasher Improved. Brass holds up better on reloading, and with the shoulder angle changed, I can get another .000003 grain of IMR in there. I have been having a hard time getting the milsurp 40mm primers, tho. :p

Where's your SHTF spirit? Make your own primers!!

Just cut 3/8" off of the negative end of some dead AA battery cases. Fill
it half full of a mixture of equal parts dirt, urine and *******. Warm the
filled primer cups over a fire until they stop giving off purple fumes. Load
them the same as the milsurp ones. Caution---these primers will be slightly
corrosive. Clean your Thrasher within 3 seconds of firing or the barrel may
melt.:p