38 special p S&W 638 Airlight Conceal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 38 special p S&W 638 Airlight Conceal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 38 special p S&W 638 Airlight Conceal

Does anyone have any thoughts about using a S&W 638 or 642 glass beadAirweight with a shrouded hammer. I was looking to get one for CCW. They are made out of aluminum. I was wondering what the recoil was and if it is managable.

Any thoughts. I liked the laser grip that can be added as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a Model 442, a .38 Special lightweight five shot revolver. I load it with Federal 110 Personal Defense loads. Not really my favorite, I stick it in my pocket for quick trips or keep it in my desk drawer.

This is it, it came with some awful rubber grips which I replaced with rosewood Secret Service Grips from Eagle Grips:

I prefer six rounds and .357, and this is the gun I carry daily, a Model 19 also with Eagle Secret Service grips:

Its all steel and feels much more solid to me.

Bob Wright

Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #3

Those s&w airweights are really nice and light revolvers for ccw carrying

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a PD 329 which is S&W`s .44 mag. lite weight. It is made of Scadium and weights less than alot of .38`s. I assume thier .38 would be alot like thier .44 which I believe is the best lite weight revolver on the market. I have no trouble holding the .44 mag. with rubber grips, but it is a hand full with wooden grips. As for recoil whether or not you can hold it I would have no idea. I shoot handguns up to the .500 S&W and the 329 has a sharper recoil than the 500. I would guess that the lite .38 would have a recoil more like the average .41 mag., which is not that bad. See if you can shoot one before you buy one if possible.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #5

I had a S&W 642 Airweight .38Spl I bought a couple of years ago. It was lightweight and dependable. I had no problem dealing with the moderate recoil. I consider it superior to many lesser guns found at discount prices. You can find Airweight Smiths pretty cheap if you look around. I believe I paid $369 new for mine.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #6

Great,

I am former military and have a ruger 357 mag and a 45 auto so I can handle the recoil but havew never had a small revolver like that and just wondered how much kick it had. Thinking about the body guard model the 642. Goes for around $420 or so.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #7

I couldn't help but notice your screen name is Gatorgrad. If by Gator, you mean the University of Florida, you might not be far from where I bought mine. They have a large supply of S&W Airweight .38Spl's including traditional hammered, hammerless, etc. They all go for $389. It might give you a chance to compare all S&W's models. It's Shoot Straight in Apopka, FL. Oh, and by the way, GO NOLES!!!!! LOL

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #8

I am in Ocala, Apopka is just down the road, they wanted $449 for it around here.

Impact guns wanted $349.00 but would have to get it shipped to FFDL.

Oh by the way Go Gators!

Not many Noles admiting to be fans lately!!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrads View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts about using a S&W 638 or 642 glass beadAirweight with a shrouded hammer. I was looking to get one for CCW. They are made out of aluminum. I was wondering what the recoil was and if it is managable.

Any thoughts. I liked the laser grip that can be added as well.
I really like my 642, recoil is not bad except with some Buffalo Bore +P ammo I shot a few days ago......that stuff was stout

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #10

i was looking at the 638 with a shrouded hammer. I really only thought to shoot 38 +p due to the light weight of the gun. thought 357 would be a little much to handle for that light weight gun.

Well I guess i will try to find a good deal on one.

Anyone know anything about the laser crimson sight grips?

Are they worth the 200 bucks or so. I heard they really help with the small evolvers getting a quick shot off on target.