38 S&W special otg
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 38 S&W special otg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 38 S&W special otg

Hello everyone, I am new and have questions about my gun I inherited from good old Grandad. It is a 38 S&W special OTG. I checked the O about 100 times it sure looks closed, im pretty positive it's not a (C)tg model. Serial # as follows 298436. Other marking's inside gun behind cylinder as for as I can tell reads the #s 798 .I would any info anyone can provide like model # how old and perhaps what branch of service used gun if any? The gun is old and pitted but other in good shape I am thinking of perhaps taking it to a gunsmith and having it cleaned and re-blued?? any and all information and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

imag0213.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

I re blued a pistol I bought a week or so ago and it turned out pretty good I mean it wasn't no professional job but it turned out ten times better looking. I bought the blueing at wally world for 4 bucks... just make sure you prep your gun... oh yeah welcome to the forums

Last edited by stoppingpower; 01-15-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm thinking an old victory model. And yeah, its probably ctg instead of otg. Having it reblued can actually decrease the value, but if you want to keep it (there would be no question for me) then that would be a fine investment.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Here is a link with some serial number info. I couldn't make much of it so it might not help to much. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/68254-How-to-Identify-Date-a-S-amp-W

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

So. is there an otg model or is the ctg just stand for cartridge and my eyes are decieving me.And if the model states 38 s&w special ctg (cartridge) does that mean i need to get speacial S&W ammo or will it shot the regular Monarch brand 38 special 158 grain bullets I bought to shoot.I am for sure, I will take it to a Gun Smith before I even attempt to shot it.I think that would be wise!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3097 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Have the gun checked before you purchase any ammo.
If it is the .38 Special, then you can buy off the shelf almost anywhere.
If it is the original .38 S&W, you may have to special order.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

OK- first, your chastisement- PIXELS MAN PIXELS! WE NEED PIXELS! That means high definition pics that do not get all fuzzy when we blow the up to look at details! Snarl, Hiss, Snarl!

Now that that is out of the way, that is the caliber marking for the .38 Special CARTRIDGE (CTG). Which was created by Smith & Wesson.

The larger button on the end of the ejector is one clue that you have the revolver made BEFORE the standard Military & Police mode, which became the Model 10. Known as the Hand Ejector, yours is possibly a Model 1905 (made 1905-1940)

Yours should be capable of firing ordinary .38 Special ammo. Stay away from very hot JHP or +p ammo. Not really dangerous if a gun is in good shape, but gun will wear much faster.

Re: Rust- everyone has a pet way of dealing with it. Here is mine- Find a good penetrating oil- to me the best is a product called KROIL, made by Kano Labs. Remove the grips. DO NOT remove any parts from the gun itself. Wet gun with penetrant, wrap in a cloth with a bit more penetrant, put in a big ziplock bag, leave for a few days. Use a COPPER (check that it is copper, not copper plated steel) Chore Boy pot scrubber. Wet the scrubber with oil, gently rub.

You can remove rust. You cannot remove pitting- the steel has gone away, you cannot bring it back.

Reblue- If you want that, find a good smith, pay him for a quality blue job. Will run you ABOUT $150. You can thank me later. PS- he also cannot remove pits- other than by filing down the surface.

PLEASE have a smith check your revolver before shooting ANYTHING in it. And by the way- nice revolver.

Edit- and where ARE my manners? Welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, swing by the intro section, say hello, tell us a bit about yourself.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I received a call from a friend in Idaho. She had just gotten a revolver from her dad's estate. She read the roll markings over the phone and said she had taken it to a couple of gun shops and the young fellas couldn't tell her what CTG stood for. Amazing simply amazing. Her's was a 32 S&W CTG.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Tell your friend she needs to find a better gun shop. And/or have her sign up here.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Dang, near broke my horizontal scrolling feature

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET