38 s&w
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

38 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 664 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Default 38 s&w

I had an unusual request a month or so ago. A friend of mine has a top break, 5 shot revolver chambered in 38 S&W. Not 38 special, not 357. This cartridges is sometimes called 38 short, or 38 police special. The revolver is in fine shape and has sentimental value, so it gets fired several times a year. The problem is, in one word, ammo.....

Lots of ammo is still hard to find. Some of the rare stuff like this is impossible or priced sky high. My buddy knows I wildcat and form all kinds of different brass, so he came to me for a solution. Could I make him this ammo.

I looked into it and found that it could be done fairly simply. I'm going to go through the process with pics. Hopefully this will get someone else to bring one of these fine guns out of retirement ....

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #2

First step was reloading data. My old NRA Reloading manual has 18 loads for this cartridge from 124 to 160 grains. All are moderate velocity, 650-725 fps and are very low pressure loads. A quick look at the cartridge diagram shows that it is 0.770 long and can be cut down from 38 special/357 mag brass trimmed short. A very simple wildcat....
38 s&w - Revolver Handguns
A bullet was chosen in the 124 grain weight to get the most velocity possible without hotrodding the powder charges. I decided on a 38 Cal Winchester bullet with a large hollowpoint to gain maximum terminal effect. This bullet is half jacketed and designed to expand reliably in the 38 special at 800-950 fps. It turned out to be a pretty good choice for this gun. 3.0 grains of Red Dot is the powder charge, mainly because I already have it sitting on the shelf. Standard CCI. small pistol primers were used...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by dwmiller; 07-29-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 2178 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I have loaded 38 S&W with cut down 38 Specials and soft lead bullets. I used black powder in mine. You cant really get enough black powder in the cartridge to have a pressure problem.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

While that will work (for some guns) there is an issue- the .38 S&W is not the same diameter as the .38 Special case- it is fatter- .386 instead of .379. Expect to see bulged or split cases. It also uses a larger diameter bullet. There IS 38 S&W ammo (and brass) out there. I shoot it, along with .32 S&W Long.

38 S&W cartridge.gif
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #5

Liked 204 Times on 136 Posts

.38 S&W is still manufactured and can be found/ordered online.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3523 Times on 2021 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Casting bullets can go a long way in the reloading process.

Dies are available with the correct diameter.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 691 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

You can still buy the brass brand new...when it's in stock from Starline brass. I would think 500 new brass cases loaded with low pressure charges would last a few years. good luck

Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

Answerers to questions/statements:

Yes, I know about the diameter differences in the cases/bullets. I got around this by cutting down 357 mag cases that had been shot once in a rather generous chambered 357 revolver. The mic at 0.382 with no sizing. They are then fireformed in the revolver to an exact fit with the red dot charge and a plug of hard soap. Ending up at 0.384 at a perfect fit with no splitting They cc test against a fired 38 S&W almost identical. I have 4 unfired rounds, 22 original empties to work against. Nice fit.

The bullets used are upset and sized in my lubrisizer to correct diameter. Along with reshaping the nose to the Lyman devestator hollowpoint profile. This is a 38 cal top punch i already have. Correct diameter die, I have. I hadn't gotten to how this was done yet. Bullet problem solved. ..

I looked at cast bullets. I really like casting my own and would have preferred them. But the molds for 38 S&W diameter 124 grain are all out of stock when I went looking. All my molds are standard, modern 38, and 145 grain and higher. Hence the off the shelf bullets and resizing/reahaping process. Easy/fast because of the timeline involved.

I spent almost a month looking for 38 S&W cases before going this route. They are out of stock or indefinite backorder everywhere I looked. There is a time frame on this project for my friend. Hence moving forward with the wildcatted 38 S&W. The only avalible ammo was +$100 a box of 50, after shipping. No way!

The main purpose of this thread is to show simple cartridge wildcatting for a hard to find caliber. The idea is to trade some ideas on how to work around common reloading problems on obsolete calibers.

Last edited by dwmiller; 07-29-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

A friend of mine recently purchased a 70s vintage H&R break open in .38 S&W.
Initially he was using a few boxes of factory ammo to build up a supply of brass. It's out there. (check Ammoseek or the next gun show.) It's not all that rare, it's just not likely to be seen often on Wal-Mart shelves. And while not 9mm Luger cheap, it's cheaper than a lot of other stuff out there.
He later ordered some cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co.
I believe he uses a light charge of Bullseye with those bullets.
Empty brass? Midwayusa has some in stock.

The stuff is out there, no need to reinvent the wheel.
File Type: jpg 38SandW.jpg (33.1 KB, 71 views)
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-29-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

DW- you are obviously an experienced handloader, and have done an excellent job of making the conversion from one to another. My concern was expressed due to the large number of new folks that try to make the conversion in one step, with poor results.

You done good. And $100 a BOX ??? (Heh Heh Heh!) I can help you out with that! (I shoot a couple of I-Frame S&Ws)

Newest Threads