38 +p question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 38 +p question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I just test-drove a S&W 686 4" yesterday, and I'm pretty sure its love at first shot....

A gun show is rolling into town this weekend, so I'm going to see what I can dig up there. I'd like to not pay nearly $700 for it....

Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
the .38+p loads will be much more comfortable to shoot. Some might carry the +p's and have the mags for a reload.

Light weight snubbies with mag ammo can be VERY uncomfortable to shoot. +p's might give decent realistic training fodder w/o the punishment of the mags.
A friend had a chromed Chief's Special that had custom bird's eye maple grips on it. It hurt to shoot. You could feel the recoil all the way back into your elbow. Shooting anything more than a cylinder through it was sheer hell.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #13

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As a matter of interest, some .38 Special +P+ ammunition was made intended solely for use in .357 Magnum revolvers.

Why? The .357s were short barreled guns, and the shorter .38 Special cases extracted more positively than the longer .357 brass. This was intended as a law enforcement round where speed of reloading might be a matter of importance.

The short barrel gun had a short extractor throw, sometimes leaving a cas or two hanging in the cylinder.

But ya'll probably already knew that.

Bob Wright