Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 38+p?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 38+p?

is the 38+p a good defense round for what i need it for? i'll be hiking soon here in kentucky. i'll most likely need it for 2 legged critters but may run across 4 legged one at times. around where i live coyoties are the most abundent and i expect them to leave me alone unless rabies hits here as it did some years back. there has been a few reports of bears but they are only reported about once or twice a year are are probably just passing thru. however some new creatures has been confirmed by the dept. of wildlife in my area, a mountain lion was confirmed about 60 miles from where i live this winter. the dept. said it to was pasiing thru as none live here but to be carefull if outside, and a wild hog was killed only 15 miles from where i live during deer season, i have a 357 magnum but i'm recoil sensitive, i can shoot them but would prefer a 38+p if they would work. thanks for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Shot placement is most important.

The .38Spl +P should work in what you seem to anticipate.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most self defense handgun ammo is designed to be used against the 2 legged variety of predators. Furry critters who can cause you harm tend to have a tougher hide than we humans have. You might want to consider a semi-jacketed soft point bullet instead of hollow point, for deeper penetration.

If recoil is a problem for you, consider that when you are defending your life, you will experience a massive adrenalin dump which will block out all non-essential sensory perception, including recoil. Most folks who shoot in self defense neither hear the shot, or feel the recoil. For that reason, I'd go with a .357 mag, but if that is a problem for you, you can always shoot .38 spl +P in a magnum chambered handgun, but not vice-versa.

My trail gun is a Taurus 617 stainless .357 mag, seven shooter. Not a small concealed carry gun, but as with any large framed pistol, they CAN be concealed with a slight wardrobe modification. Also, heavier guns tend to buffer felt recoil.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1662 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 530

There are also some lower recoil loads out there in 357. The Winchester white box 110gr semi jacket hollow point is a self defense load on the mild side. More than 38+P but lighter than the heavy loads. There are others too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Most self defense handgun ammo is designed to be used against the 2 legged variety of predators. Furry critters who can cause you harm tend to have a tougher hide than we humans have. You might want to consider a semi-jacketed soft point bullet instead of hollow point, for deeper penetration.

If recoil is a problem for you, consider that when you are defending your life, you will experience a massive adrenalin dump which will block out all non-essential sensory perception, including recoil. Most folks who shoot in self defense neither hear the shot, or feel the recoil. For that reason, I'd go with a .357 mag, but if that is a problem for you, you can always shoot .38 spl +P in a magnum chambered handgun, but not vice-versa.

My trail gun is a Taurus 617 stainless .357 mag, seven shooter. Not a small concealed carry gun, but as with any large framed pistol, they CAN be concealed with a slight wardrobe modification. Also, heavier guns tend to buffer felt recoil.

This is the truth. If it comes down to you needing to use your weapon you will not notice the sound or the recoil...I can promise you that.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you're fine against 2 legged critters with a 38+p. I've carried one on a few occasions and my wife's nightstand gun is loaded with them.
I don't think a 38 is enough against 4 legged critters, espeically a couple of the ones you mentioned.....a bear and a mountain lion are two animals I would not want to face with nothing but a 38. You're in KY so I assume you're talking black bear and they will most likely run from you unless there are cubs involved. The mountain lion....I don't know and I don't care...that is a BIG, POWERFUL CAT and if it moves towards me it's going to get the priviledge of holding a few. On either of these animals you need something that is going to give you penetration that the 38 simply doesn't have. I know it's unlikely that you'll see either of these critters but I would like to prepared in case you did.
I personally would carry the 357. You won't be shooting it all day and if you do end up needing it but having the extra power would be beneficial.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer