Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   38+p? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/38-p-37673/)

old fart 01-31-2011 01:38 AM

38+p?

is the 38+p a good defense round for what i need it for? i'll be hiking soon here in kentucky. i'll most likely need it for 2 legged critters but may run across 4 legged one at times. around where i live coyoties are the most abundent and i expect them to leave me alone unless rabies hits here as it did some years back. there has been a few reports of bears but they are only reported about once or twice a year are are probably just passing thru. however some new creatures has been confirmed by the dept. of wildlife in my area, a mountain lion was confirmed about 60 miles from where i live this winter. the dept. said it to was pasiing thru as none live here but to be carefull if outside, and a wild hog was killed only 15 miles from where i live during deer season, i have a 357 magnum but i'm recoil sensitive, i can shoot them but would prefer a 38+p if they would work. thanks for any help

danf_fl 01-31-2011 06:08 AM

Shot placement is most important.

The .38Spl +P should work in what you seem to anticipate.

pioneer461 02-01-2011 07:30 PM

Most self defense handgun ammo is designed to be used against the 2 legged variety of predators. Furry critters who can cause you harm tend to have a tougher hide than we humans have. You might want to consider a semi-jacketed soft point bullet instead of hollow point, for deeper penetration.

If recoil is a problem for you, consider that when you are defending your life, you will experience a massive adrenalin dump which will block out all non-essential sensory perception, including recoil. Most folks who shoot in self defense neither hear the shot, or feel the recoil. For that reason, I'd go with a .357 mag, but if that is a problem for you, you can always shoot .38 spl +P in a magnum chambered handgun, but not vice-versa.

My trail gun is a Taurus 617 stainless .357 mag, seven shooter. Not a small concealed carry gun, but as with any large framed pistol, they CAN be concealed with a slight wardrobe modification. Also, heavier guns tend to buffer felt recoil.

JTJ 02-01-2011 10:42 PM

There are also some lower recoil loads out there in 357. The Winchester white box 110gr semi jacket hollow point is a self defense load on the mild side. More than 38+P but lighter than the heavy loads. There are others too.

USMC-03 02-02-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 434701)
Most self defense handgun ammo is designed to be used against the 2 legged variety of predators. Furry critters who can cause you harm tend to have a tougher hide than we humans have. You might want to consider a semi-jacketed soft point bullet instead of hollow point, for deeper penetration.

If recoil is a problem for you, consider that when you are defending your life, you will experience a massive adrenalin dump which will block out all non-essential sensory perception, including recoil. Most folks who shoot in self defense neither hear the shot, or feel the recoil. For that reason, I'd go with a .357 mag, but if that is a problem for you, you can always shoot .38 spl +P in a magnum chambered handgun, but not vice-versa.

My trail gun is a Taurus 617 stainless .357 mag, seven shooter. Not a small concealed carry gun, but as with any large framed pistol, they CAN be concealed with a slight wardrobe modification. Also, heavier guns tend to buffer felt recoil.

This is the truth. If it comes down to you needing to use your weapon you will not notice the sound or the recoil...I can promise you that.

spittinfire 02-03-2011 12:31 PM

I think you're fine against 2 legged critters with a 38+p. I've carried one on a few occasions and my wife's nightstand gun is loaded with them.
I don't think a 38 is enough against 4 legged critters, espeically a couple of the ones you mentioned.....a bear and a mountain lion are two animals I would not want to face with nothing but a 38. You're in KY so I assume you're talking black bear and they will most likely run from you unless there are cubs involved. The mountain lion....I don't know and I don't care...that is a BIG, POWERFUL CAT and if it moves towards me it's going to get the priviledge of holding a few. On either of these animals you need something that is going to give you penetration that the 38 simply doesn't have. I know it's unlikely that you'll see either of these critters but I would like to prepared in case you did.
I personally would carry the 357. You won't be shooting it all day and if you do end up needing it but having the extra power would be beneficial.