.38/.357 Mag for self-defense - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .38/.357 Mag for self-defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i have a taurus 605, i use federal 357 mag 158 grain jsp in mine for defense. i use federal 38 special tmj for practice. i use my gun for two legged critters around where i go and i take it on hikes with me where four legged critters could be. i recommend if you only carry where two legged critters are then 38+p would be fine but if you also carry where four legged could be run into then go with the 357 loads.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #32

Default Thanks, guys

Sorry I haven't checked in for several days, lots of new info and perspectives.

For the record, my Model 60 came with what I believe is a Hogue grip. It's rubber and notched. I figured that into the purchase after owning an SP-101 that originally came with plastic grips far too tiny for even my small hands. I tried a Pachymyer round-butt but never got a good feel for it. i wound up putting on Hogues and after that, it worked pretty well.

Always shot a little high to the right, however, but I got used to it. After a while, I just aimed in that place relative to what I was shooting at and it usually worked out pretty well.

The Smith, with which I replaced the Ruger, has always shot better. I, too, like the adjustable rear sights, although to tell the truth I probably should have just left them at factory settings rather than having to screw around with for a good while after that.

I'm an urban/field carrier but with the proviso that I ride a motorcycle. That puts me in the field, more or less. In Minnesnota, there's not a great concern over beasties, although in the past two, three years there's been increased bear and even cougar sightings. But that's not the issue--more for me, with critters, that some goddamn deer, three or four, will wander stupidly out in front of me as I go tooling through the semi-wild on two wheels and an engine at 55 mph. A pistol ain't gonna help me with that.

I live in the suburbs, about 17 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. Compared to the Cities, there's not much going on out here save for your random hits--pizza joints, a Stop 'n' Rob or likker store, cat burglars. Out in the country, which is what comprises most everything west of here all the way to the Rockies, folks are pretty much folks. If there's a problem, one that falls upon me, it's gonna be one of those random things. I've never gone looking for fights, haven't had one since I was in the Navy, and don't really anticipate one. 'course, ya never know. On a bike, you're out in the middle of Bumphuque some night, you have an accident or something breaks down...and you're out in the middle of Bumphuque. Best to have a phone and a gun, especially if your lady's around.

Given all that, I'm inclined to agree with the guys here who have said to stick with what you're most comfortable with, that shot placement is key, and if you're principally concerned with two-legged marauders, the .38+P should probably suffice.

I had a Rossi lever-action carbine chambered in .38/.357, traded that on a Russian-made Saiga which I then had converted into what I now call a "Russo-American AK." It's chambered in .308 Winchester, and is what I plan to fall back on in any event of anything bigger, or more threatening, than two-legged critters.

And honestly, fellas--I'm a peaceful man.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #33

I guess I should qualify that to say that the .308 would also be useful were I threatened by a mob of two-legged critters.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #34

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default loads

cor-bons in .357 or .38 will do the trick .....even on wacked out druggies !

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #35

If it shoots 357 that's what I would go with. the only reason to go smaller would be to carry a more concealable gun IMO. according to my cop neighbor If you have to actually shoot someone in self defense it looks much better on your part that you shot them once rather than 2 or 3 times.
I'm getting ready to get my concealed weapons permit down here in south TX and if I didn’t only weigh 150lbs and wear shorts every day a snubbie 357 with a laser grip is what I would carry but due to circumstances a small concealable 9mm or possibly even a 380 mouse gun is what I'll probably go with.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #36
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
If it shoots 357 that's what I would go with. the only reason to go smaller would be to carry a more concealable gun IMO. according to my cop neighbor If you have to actually shoot someone in self defense it looks much better on your part that you shot them once rather than 2 or 3 times.
I'm getting ready to get my concealed weapons permit down here in south TX and if I didn’t only weigh 150lbs and wear shorts every day a snubbie 357 with a laser grip is what I would carry but due to circumstances a small concealable 9mm or possibly even a 380 mouse gun is what I'll probably go with.

Lots of good snub nose pistols will fit your need well. The Ruger LCR and the S&W Airweight are two fine examples. As for your cop neighbor, best advice he could give is to keep shooting until the threat has ended. Many self defense shooting involve more than one shot. It isn't the number of shots fired as much as it is the precieved threat that becomes an issue.
s-w-642-006a.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Lots of good snub nose pistols will fit your need well. The Ruger LCR and the S&W Airweight are two fine examples. As for your cop neighbor, best advice he could give is to keep shooting until the threat has ended. Many self defense shooting involve more than one shot. It isn't the number of shots fired as much as it is the precieved threat that becomes an issue.
I do like the Ruger LCR although I have yet to shoot one. It's got a great feel to it and it's definitely lite enough to comfortably carry in the summer heat but the lcp is just so much more concealable for a guy my size that I think It would stay in my truck a lot less than a snubbi revolver would. I have yet to see a LC9 up close but the dimensions look promising.
Who's shot one?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #38

The main reason I bought a .357 is that I've always favored revolvers. Because the .357 also handles .38 loads, that's a nice option. The stopping power of .357 was another consideration. It was either that or a .45 APC, and I had never been familiar with the semi-autos. Something about "jamming" (an old wives tale perhaps but one that continues now and again to ring true) and the hassle of having to pull it apart for cleaning.

Why a three-inch barrel? A couple, three reasons: I thought it gave me a tad more accuracy, a tad more handling than with a snubby; a still easy carry on the hip or under the arm, still nicely concealable; and I liked its looks.

To tell de troof, it reminds me of a cap pistol I had in the '40s. A Gene Autry model, stainless short barrel and a bright orange grip. Anybody remember it?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #39

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Lots of good snub nose pistols will fit your need well. The Ruger LCR and the S&W Airweight are two fine examples.
I'd have to0 echo WDB. I've never heard of anyone being dissatisfied with a good snubbie from Smith or Ruger.

In the Smith and Wesson realm you have endless choices of fine revolvers that would fit the "concealable" bill. Everything (full sized) from models, 10-15, 19 and 64-68 most models can be found with a 2-1/2" (perfect sized) version. I like the classics so that's what I look for J-Frames are found in several different looks and feels also. The "Chief's Special", models 36 and 37 are my personal favorites, along with the ever-popular Model 60 Air-weight, some deemed "The Lady's Smith" , but in .357 it is no joke and shoots like a dream. The list goes on as their "Bodyguard" series adds more.

Rugers are much more limited in CCW selection, but their SP101 and GP100 are unmatched in versatility and ruggedness. Both are found in .357/.38 and now .327 fed (also shoots .32 S&W short and long and .32 H&R magnum). The SP101 can serve as a concealable powerhouse and as a trail gun able to handle the heaviest of .357 factory loads you can find, such as Buffalo Bore and Cor-Bon hard cast ammo (Bear Defense). I carry a 4" GP100. While it is not for everyone I find it is reasonably comfortable, and very comforting in a size 2 Uncle Mikes and Shoots as accurately as any of my revolvers. It is an absolute tank and with a set of Hogues, shooting the hottest/heaviest bear ammo is manageable. I'll also mention the LCR .38 (and now .357) for a pocket gun. Some folks absolutely adore theirs, but it is not for me.

There is a world of .357 protectors that will do whatever you ask of them. Just make sure you feed them a steady diet of many different types of meals and put a good 800-1000 rounds downrange before relying on one for self defense, especially if you are new to revolvers and/or hot ammo.

Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #40

I almost feel bad about posting here... I mean it seems all of you own and carry S&W's and Ruger's. As a retiree living on a very fixed income, all I can afford is my trusty Rossi 46102. I stagger my rounds, ie.; mine is a 6-shooter, so I carry three 125 gr .357 JHP's and three 125 gr .38 spl.JHP +P's, both calibers are Remington Golden Saber. I carry my revolver in my Rays Holster "Shado" Clamshell holster, and my spare ammo in Bianchi Speed Strips, staggered the same as above, (in fact, I'm carrying all the above right now). ps; it maybe cheap, but it gets the job done!

MSgt. USAF(Ret.) NRA - Life Mbr., NCOA - Life Mbr., NAHC - Life Mbr., OathKeepers - Founding Mbr., Amer. Legion - Mbr., VFW - Mbr., DVA - Mbr., VVA - Mbr.