.38/.357 Mag for self-defense - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

.38/.357 Mag for self-defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My 2" Mod. 10, round butt sits on the headboard stoked with 158gr semi-wadcutters. A well placed shot or two is the key to survival.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #22

Default .357 Accuracy

probably a bit off topic but i still cant believe the accuracy im getting from my relatively new (used) 80's built 6inch 686 i just purchased not too far back...

ive been using small paper desert plates as targets for a few years now, (100 for .99 cents at the dollar store, they are about 6in dia & reflect overhead range lights very well) in conjunction with my 4" USP compact from 7-15 yards but never thought id be hitting 2/3 from 75ft out of the gate with the hand cannon!

with the USP im lucky if i can hit 1/10...

granted, these are not typical shooting distances (especially for the compact) but its fun to push the envelope at times and see just how different 2 guns can be

Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #23

Likes Given: 2

Default Model 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzderkat View Post
To SACamp:

Magnificent. A wealth of pertinent information. Much obliged.

BTW, my choice of a "petite" revolver has much to do with my size--5-8 and 160 pounds--as anything else. Were I to want a 686 with a six-inch barrel (which I would), I'm a little short on one end to be lugging it around in a shoulder rig. And as for concealability, that sucker would be hanging down below the edge of my riding vest.

Fritz,

I have the same model 60 in the Pro series with wood grips. I am 6'4" pushing 245#. Even with this I find the size of the pistol and the grip to be most comfortable. The purchase was almost spur of the moment. That little revlover just felt damned good in my hand. I like the extra barrel lenght over the standard length snubbie. I like the adjustible site.

I have shot .38 special and .38 +p but not yet .357 magnum. Reason? The muzzle flash from the .38 +p was enough to convince me that any additiional powder was wasted on visual effects and not going to bullet velocity. My oipinion? A 4 inch barrel is the threshhold for .357, Rmemeber, My opinion and that is not gospel.

If you choose the route of practice with a .38 special and load a .357 for carry pay attention to two things.

1. Clean the cylinder very thoroughly. A .357 is longer than a .38. Powder residue can prevent proper seating of the .357.

2. Follow the guidlines in th owners manual to check the load you intend to use in .357. You need to make sure the bullet mass is balanced with the power of the load and the mass of the pistol. You need to be careful with light bullets with hot loads in light guns.

Enjoy! The model 60 is one of my favorites.

Last edited by Nomad 1; 03-05-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I can chime in here... I have a Model 60 also, and it's one of my favorite revolvers (and I have a lot of hand guns). I do shoot a lot of .38 Specials in it for practice but keep .357 Magnums in it for "taking out BG's". It's a great carry weapon...

Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think there is a big differnce between 'self defense' rounds and rounds that have the highest knockdown or lethality ratings. I am assuming your definition of 'self defense' is being focused on urban/field settings outside of the home while actively carrying the weapon and having the potential to have to drop someone efficiently. Thankfuly I have never had that situation present itself to me but in case it should, I keep some Winchester .357 Magnum 'Black Talon' DP 180 Gr rounds handy.

If your definition of 'self defense' is for home defense then I am not a fan of using any round that can over penetrate and possibly kill someone in another room or even across the street should your bullet go astray. For inside the house rounds, I would only load safety rounds. They are still lethal in most cases, and are much safer to use.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
For inside the house rounds, I would only load safety rounds. They are still lethal in most cases, and are much safer to use.
I'm not familiar with "safety rounds". Could you expand/clarify please?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #27

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Safety rounds such as 'Glazers', are typically a composit round made up of some sort of small BBs suspended in teflon that disinergrate upon impact/penetration having the net effect similar to a shotgun shell, but when they strike something solid like a wall (or sheetrock) the energy is dispersed, the round disinigrates, and the projectile does not pentrate the wall and keep on going - possibly killing someone un-intended

Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #28
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Safety rounds such as 'Glazers', are typically a composit round made up of some sort of small BBs suspended in teflon that disinergrate upon impact/penetration having the net effect similar to a shotgun shell, but when they strike something solid like a wall (or sheetrock) the energy is dispersed, the round disinigrates, and the projectile does not pentrate the wall and keep on going - possibly killing someone un-intended
I expect bone is harder than sheetrock and in most cases your going to hit bone before you hit something vital in the bad guy. What would the result be? My asumption would be a nasty surface wound that is going to truly pizz off the bad guy but wouldn't stop him. I understand why some people would like this type of round but IMHO an underpowered round in your time of need is even more dangerous (by not stopping the bad guy) than the possibility of hitting a friendly on the other side of a wall. HP slow dramatically when they hit something solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I carry GD 135gr Short Barrel JHP's in my 340PD

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Oh, OK, i have heard of Glaser rounds, but i have not tried them. The first round in my primary HD shotty is a target load, but the others are buck shot.