.38/.357 Mag for self-defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .38/.357 Mag for self-defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a .357 mag taurus model 66 but I shoot .38 specials out out of it. No problem, when I carry it depends out in the woods I load it with .357 mag HP but in the city or driving it's .38 spec.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #12

I have the same pistol (model 60-15); appreciate your issue. I put pachmyr grips on, makes the recoil a lot less destructive to my hands; they're also a little larger, provide a better grip and distributes the recoil better. I usually practice with .38s, but load 110g or 125g .357s if I think I might need it in a self defense situation. I never load with anything heavier than 140g - then only if I'm hog hunting.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I carry Remington Golden Sabers 125gr as my defensive rounds in my SP101. I have found them to be accurate at the range and I don't worry about seasonal clothing layering with them in the wheel.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #14

Hello. In a more petite revolver such as yours, perhaps one of the mid-range .357 loads would fill the bill as it would offer more "power" than the .38 Special but being somewhat attenuated compared to a full-throtal magnum.

Just a suggestion for your consideration...

If interested, this link might be of some use:

Can Less be More

If you opt for a .38 Special load, here are some observations for you to do with as you see fit:

38 Special Ammo Tests

(Note: The DPX load in this article was of early manufacture and standard pressure. Its velocity vs. bullet length was such that the bullet didn't always stabilize from a 1 7/8" snub barrel. It always worked fine from 3" barrels in my experiences with it. Today's DPX is +P and faster and seems to work fine in all barrel lengths.)

.38 Special LSWCHP +P

Best to you and yours.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #15

To SACamp:

Magnificent. A wealth of pertinent information. Much obliged.

BTW, my choice of a "petite" revolver has much to do with my size--5-8 and 160 pounds--as anything else. Were I to want a 686 with a six-inch barrel (which I would), I'm a little short on one end to be lugging it around in a shoulder rig. And as for concealability, that sucker would be hanging down below the edge of my riding vest.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #16

Hello. Yes, I believe that while we are all alike, we are also uniquely individual and need to do what works best for us.

Glad that the articles were of interest.

Best.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2842 Times on 1412 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Some things to consider:
With full power .357 loads the muzzle/cylinder gap flash will be...exciting, from a short barrel. It was pretty entertaining from my 8" Colt the other day w/ Winchester 110gr Personal Protection loads. If you're good with it, fine.
Everyone will be deaf as well. .357s are notorious for their distinctive high frequency blast.
Between the flash & the noise, follow up shots may not be as fast as with a less intense load.

I don't have a dog in this fight though. My snubbie is a .38 special only. FWIW, I don't feel defenseless.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I'll grant that a full power magnum load can be exciting, but primarily only at the range. If (God forbid) you have to use it on a BG, your adrenaline is already pumping and that properly placed first round can be a heck of a conversation ender. With my Gold Sabres I don't care if the BG is wearing a leather jacket. But then, I will go for overkill rather than underkill every time. The sooner a problem is eliminated, the better for honest citizen. JMHO.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #19

BTW, I just received a DeSantis holster I bought through the Smith & Wesson store, made specifically for the Model 60, three-inch barrel. Very nice. I had a good one for several years but managed to lose it last summer, went for an Uncle Mike's in the interim but didn't like it much--fabric and plastic, didn't want to hug the belt or hip the way I prefer.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you should ever need to shoot in self defense, you will receive a massive adrenalin dump, which has amazing effects on the human body. You will neither hear the shot, nor feel the recoil. In most cases, it will be over before you fully realize what is going on. Practice with .38 spl, but for defense, load the hard stuff.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved