.38 or .357 ammo, home protection - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .38 or .357 ammo, home protection

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You are welcome darlin.

I was recently informed that my credentials will soon be questioned in order to dispute my opinions in this thread.

96-00 3/8, 00 to 02 2nd Force, 02-06 1st Force, 06-07 2nd MSOB, 07-07 MSOS, 08-08 MSOAG, 08-09 JSOC.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #32

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll just say that if I got shot by anything, I'd reconsider what I was doing.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay. First off, FTF does NOT VET our members for a reason.

No one here is required to post information about past military or police exploits. That does lead to some BS, but those posers are usually tripped up on that little thing we call FACTS.

In this case, with Jack, I am going to vouge for him and tell you all, once, to please leave this topic alone. Jack is a man of his word and has served us all admirably in the past, under the Stars & Stripes.

Now, it's been said in hundreds of threads, it does not MATTER what round you shoot well in a self defense situation, all that matters is that you hit the target.

THAT IS PRIORITY ONE!

It's nice to be able to dump (3) .50AE slugs into a bad guy, with Black Talon, hydrogen/oxygen expanding, mercury covered tips.

But the fact of the matter is, you hit any bad guy with a .38 in the chest a couple of times you are going to SERIOUSLY alter their perception of "victim" and "aggressor".

Will the .38 put a 260 lb bad guy in the morgue? It can, but probably won't, unless you get a critical hit.

But, would you rather be able to HIT that bad guy with a .38 or shoot right by him with several .44 mag rounds??

In the event you like the .38, can shoot the .38, then by all means, get the best possible ammo you can for the .38

Ballistics gel is wonderful. But the best ballistics gel score does not equate to YOU, the homeonwer in question, being able to accurately and reliability hit what you are aiming it.

JD

Old 11-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #34

Dillinger, I get that I am the new guy, and I get that the guy has been here a while and is respected. I am not saying that he is not an honest man. You can be an honest man and be incorrect. I do totally agree that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .500 mag. All I am saying is that you will not get someone to fall or whatever every time with any round you hit them with. I do on occasion carry a .38, sometimes even a .380. But I do not delude myself into thinking that they are going to stop, stumble, just because he was shot.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #35

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Typical - Everyone here gets a say. My comments about Jack were in relation to a question of his expertise earlier in the thread and was not directed at any one person.

I agree with what you are saying. There is no magic one stop shot round, every time. Otherwise there would be a concensus and all departments would be issuing that weapon.

The FBI is a classic study in that philosophy.

The whole REASON the .40 S&W came about is because the FBI wanted to have .45ACP power, in a smaller cartridge that their female agents could handle comfortably and easier.

There is no magic round. Having said that, I would rather hit with a smaller, more comfortable round, then miss with something that is the "best" proven round in ANY test....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
It's nice to be able to dump (3) .50AE slugs into a bad guy, with Black Talon, hydrogen/oxygen expanding, mercury covered tips.
You forgot to dip them in Sasquatch dung.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #37

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical_08 View Post
Dillinger, I get that I am the new guy, and I get that the guy has been here a while and is respected. I am not saying that he is not an honest man. You can be an honest man and be incorrect. I do totally agree that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .500 mag. All I am saying is that you will not get someone to fall or whatever every time with any round you hit them with. I do on occasion carry a .38, sometimes even a .380. But I do not delude myself into thinking that they are going to stop, stumble, just because he was shot.
Fact is that you are new and so is Shooter. Another fact is that neither of you have any idea of who IGETEVEN is and questioning his experience is out of line, imho. Not the most intel-i-gent move on either part. But, stick around and play nice and we can all learn from each other without getting into a spitting contest.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #38

I didn't question his experience and knowledge, he questioned mine.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This thread hasn't died yet?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #40

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
This thread hasn't died yet?
It needs to. I am comfortable carrying a .380, a .38 snub, and many others up to a .45 1911. I train with them all and I can put the shots where they need to be. Y'all can quote stats and ballistics studies until we all die of boredom but the point is - arm yourself with something YOU can shoot accurately.

Personally, we have a number of folks here that have real world experience - it behooves everyone to listen to them. JD said it and I agree that Jack knows of whence he speaks. It's all opinion until you're put to the test - which I hope never happens to any of us...

Closed Thread