Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 357magnum revolver vs ?? caliber pistol ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I don't need luck. I don't even own a revolver. Quite frankly aside from a purse gun for the wife or a novelty gun for me I have no desire to ever own one. I was just passing on some unbiased information since somebody was asking about it.
You don't know what your missing. A .357 mag with a 6" barrel can be a lot of fun.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

At last count, I have fourteen (14) .357 Magnum revolvers (DA and SA) and nine (9) .45 ACP handguns, (two DA revolvers and seven semi-automatics).

No semi-automatics in .357 Magnum (but two in .38 Special!)

Which is better? For what purpose? The two calibers each have specific strengths and weaknesses.

In the meantime, all the arguments presented are based on an arbitrary view - the poster's personal 'issue'. This is very much like arguing the 'best' car is a Corvette, because it goes real fast, while another argues the best car is a KIA because it gets great gas mileage, while a third promotes a mini-van because it will fit his family.

I've shot both calibers and all sorts of guns for years. For personal defense, I still have to see what mood I'm in to pick between a Colt (LW) Commander in .45 ACP or a short barreled S&W M19. It really doesn't make a lot of difference; they both serve admirably well.

For somewhat longer range targets or hunting? A longer barreled .357 with proper loads does very well. But I can also shoot a .45 Government Model and hit a silhouette target at 50 yards with little problem, and at 100 yards on a good day.

For close range self-defense under any conditions? A Government Model is very comforting, and I prefer the larger caliber, heavier bullet. But a S&W M19 and full throttle .357 Magnum loads can be very effective on multiple targets up close as well.

Learn to use what you have. Branch out when you can.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

People Like This