357magnum revolver vs ?? caliber pistol ? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

357magnum revolver vs ?? caliber pistol ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My brothers and cousins all carry 45acp's as their sidearm when out hunting I wanted more power so im looking to get a ruger gp100 6inch in 357magnum , but they all think their 45's are the best in everything power and range

Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #42

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason56262 View Post
My brothers and cousins all carry 45acp's as their sidearm when out hunting I wanted more power so im looking to get a ruger gp100 6inch in 357magnum , but they all think their 45's are the best in everything power and range
I love my 45 and I bring it out hunting but I also bring my 357 as well. Like to give all my gun s field time. Every weapon has its place. Advantages and disadvantages but "the best" in any caliber is strictly an opinion. I've heard of people killing deer with a 22lr. I'm pretty sure it was a lie but that's there opinion but anything is possible

Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #43

Liked 118 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
p35bhp55 The opening tread did not have a need only a comparison to a 357. Now you call that 357 load a real magnum?? I call it mild. The early loads pushed a 158gr bullet over 1500fps. Maybe by current standards the load you use is fit to shoot in your model 19 as that's about all it can handle . Not the orginal design standard many of use still load too for hunting needs.

What is that 175gr 10mm load supposed to be, special?? I showed what both are capable of with a better class of production ammo from the same company. You are the one doing the apples to broccoli thing.

Did you even bother to look at underwoods site? Read underwoods ballistics or just one of the others companies that load close to the design limits of the cartridge. Just don't shoot them in your model 19. Your useing some of the anemic loads from the big boy companies in 357mag that has to be loaded to a level that will function safely in some old under designed 357pistol that are known by many to not be strong enough to maintain shooting full house loads in. The K frame was considerd a practice with 38's and carry 357 type handgun before sammi standards were reduced .

Why not pick up a 45 ?? I can as have one but for what some of use want a 357 for a 45 is only in second place. The 45 makes a good personal defense cartridge. But not a good hunting option. And because some of use like to load our own. Also with the right powder in a 357 a mild low flash load can match a 200 or 230gr 45 acp energy level with only a soft shooting lower velocity 180 or 200gr load. I have a 45 but don't think its anything special and don't carry it. Just a house gun/fun gun. It has its place but since the op asked about comparisons to a 357 that kinda leaves the 45acp in the dirt even at +P levels. That's why I mention the 10mm as it can be in the same class of cartridge but not better. Egual. For personal protect only that would change the tread from post #1 as a short barrel 357 is not a good choice for most needs. .

Blackxpress lets go hunting with handguns . You take what ever current cop or soldier pistol you would carry for a handgun and I'll take one of my revolvers a hunt with. Might run into a big bear so be ready. Might make a shot to kill well beyound 100 yards too.
I have hunted with a .357 and have taken several deer with it. It got the job done just fine. That was 30 years ago and I no longer own that gun but I do have fond memories. I Don,t handgun hunt anymore although I might consider it if for no other reason than to see how my Glock 20 would perform. I do carry the 10mm in the woods when bowhunting but we don't have any big bears in Ohio. The biggest animal I might possibly come against would be a black bear or a hog and I figure the 10mm would be more than sufficient in that scenario. I mostly carry it in case I need to defend myself against 2 legged critters of the human variety who would be dressed in multiple layers of heavy clothing. If you and me were to go hunting in grizzly territory I would much prefer a .44 magnum or .454 Cassul to either the .357 or the 10mm. My point was not to bash the .357. The OP asked a very vague and general question about what semi-auto is superior to the .357. In terms of terminal ballistics the answer is probably none of them. But there are other considerations for a carry gun than just terminal ballistics, which is why those who carry guns in combat situations (i.e. LE and military) opt for auto pistols and not wheel guns.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #44

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Does anyone know the range of a 454

Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #45

No but im pretty sure you can hit targets at 200yards with no problem

Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Guess the OP just wanted to lob grenades....

And I had a longer post about applications of various calibers but my iPhone deleted it somehow. So screw it.

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #47
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Roman who? Hey, I picked them because they have the best looking uniforms. I don't know much about their past history in the roman days, but just glad to see them win nowadays once in a while. (And actually Dallas has some pretty good looking colored uniforms, unless they play my eagles)
(shaking Head) You root for Teams based on their Unis? Wow......

To me,..Different Calibers for different applications......

9MM or 45ACP for Duty Carry, 357,41,44 for Back up when Hunting with a shotgun or long gun,...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 11-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

[QUOTE=DrFootball;1434696](shaking Head) You root for Teams based on their Unis? Wow......

...QUOTE]

Yep, there is no professional teams in my town, and I dont follow college sports to know any players, so why not like a team to watch only because their uniforms looks good?

Its better than picking one that has ugly uniforms and trying to watch them and not think of how ugly those things are

Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #49
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

OK then....

I guess Because I grew up with a Dad that Taught me about the game, and we had a team to root for, where we were going to The Teams Home Games every season...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

[quote=Anna_Purna;1434945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
(shaking Head) You root for Teams based on their Unis? Wow......

...QUOTE]

Yep, there is no professional teams in my town, and I dont follow college sports to know any players, so why not like a team to watch only because their uniforms looks good?

Its better than picking one that has ugly uniforms and trying to watch them and not think of how ugly those things are
You go right ahead and pick them for their uniforms. I pick them for their cheerleader's outfits, so why not?