357magnum revolver vs ?? caliber pistol ? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 357magnum revolver vs ?? caliber pistol ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Not the Eagles. Your cool points just went down in my book.

It's alright though, you can give me some crap back. I've been a Cowboys fan since Landry was the coach and Staubach was the quarterback. Been a rough few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Anna - I've been an Iggles fan since 1974, when my man, Roman Gabriel was traded to the PHL Iggles from my beloved L.A. Rams, and I've been a tortured soul ever since!.....
Roman who?

Hey, I picked them because they have the best looking uniforms. I don't know much about their past history in the roman days, but just glad to see them win nowadays once in a while.

(And actually Dallas has some pretty good looking colored uniforms, unless they play my eagles)

Old 11-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22215 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the 357 Mag. is just one caliber in a revolver that you can't go wrong with. depending on the ammo and the pistol used, it can be used for CC or even hunting game. i don't think there ae any true perfect calibers, but the 357 Mag. is pretty damn close to perfect.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3165 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrichthedragon View Post
The model 19-6 is my 357. I know what your saying. Its a bad ass revolver. Although I have heard a lot of hear say about a forcing cone issue when using lower than 158gr lead loads in both 38 and 357. I have shot 130gr fmj 38 loads with no problems though I see some wear on it. It was used when I got it so I dunno what its been through other than being a texas highway patrolman's sidearm. Reguardless I have a 2nd barrel on standby
Sorry, but Texas DPS (Highway Patrol) used S&W Model 28s not 19s. They have strict rules about ony carrying the issued guns.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1124 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 1147

Except for its hottest loads the .357 Mag is comparable to the .357 Sig. Same caliber with similar velocity, energy per bullet weight.

Still, I have two revolvers in .357 Mag, (S&W Models 19 and 66) but no plans for a .357 Sig autoloader.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Except for its hottest loads the .357 Mag is comparable to the .357 Sig. Same caliber with similar velocity, energy per bullet weight.

Still, I have two revolvers in .357 Mag, (S&W Models 19 and 66) but no plans for a .357 Sig autoloader.
I've got three Mod 19s and a Mod 66, and I'll never get rid of them. With that said, I am giving serious consideration to the 357 Sig. The only thing holding me back is the price and availability of ammo. The .357 Sig never really caught on around here, so what ammo you can find is very pricey.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #26

Liked 454 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i think he's trying to say that revolvers are old and obsolete technology and he doesn't care forthem.
Agree with the old part. Obsolete? Ain't necessarily so. Newer S&W wheelguns have 7-8rd capacity, equal to most single stack auto pistols. Massad Ayoob and Jerry Miculek have demonstrated that, with practice, reloads can be done quickly and efficiently. I know hi-cap autos are all the rage these days, I've got one myself. That said, a revolver's still in my carry rotation. Matter of fact, I brought home a pristine Colt Police Positive yesterday. High ammo capacity aside, a man well drilled with a 357mag revolver is every bit as lethal as anyone with an 18rd Glock or M&P. One well placed shot trumps ten shots of spray & pray.
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22215 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Agree with the old part. Obsolete? Ain't necessarily so. Newer S&W wheelguns have 7-8rd capacity, equal to most single stack auto pistols. Massad Ayoob and Jerry Miculek have demonstrated that, with practice, reloads can be done quickly and efficiently. I know hi-cap autos are all the rage these days, I've got one myself. That said, a revolver's still in my carry rotation. Matter of fact, I brought home a pristine Colt Police Positive yesterday. High ammo capacity aside, a man well drilled with a 357mag revolver is every bit as lethal as anyone with an 18rd Glock or M&P. One well placed shot trumps ten shots of spray & pray.
Donn, i agree with you completely. i personally own more semi-autos than revolvers, but i would never sneeze or make fun of one. i only own one revolver currently, but would never hesitate in owning another one by any means.

i am a big believer in shot placement. a well placed hit from a revolver, trumps misses from a high capacity semi-auto.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Sorry, but Texas DPS (Highway Patrol) used S&W Model 28s not 19s. They have strict rules about ony carrying the issued guns.
Well just stating what told to me. I'm willing to accept being wrong ever once in a while. And I might have misunderstood my info but I believe it was a police issue.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #29

Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Superior to a 45acp By far better. Only a 10mm is in the same ability and it is so close it will cause arguments. Factory run of the mill ammo you can find in your average store the 357 is a better round but when underwood ammo, BB and DT are in the mix they are very close or the 10mm steps ahead as the best 357loads will be hand loaded. You do have a better choice of handguns with the 357 and longer barrels aid even higher velocities. One of my old hog loads was a 180gr hardcaste at 1450fps from a 8" barrel. There are handguns that load should not be fired in. The 357 does have slightly better ballistics too but they really are two close rounds. Probably depends much more on your needs and handgun size .
Underwood loads
10mm loads - http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx
357mag - http://www.underwoodammo.com/357magnum.aspx
This is kinda an apples vs. broccolli thing. I have a .45 a pair of 10s and a 4 inch Mod.19 and the last three are all magnums the way they are loaded.

.357 158 gr. Hydra Shok=1240 MV and 539 ME
10 MM 175gr. Silvertip=1290 MV and 649 ME
For comparison the .41mag 175gr. Silvertip 1250 MV and 607 ME

They have some real blast and recoil loaded with the ammo I have for them and seem like overkill for social work. Oh, and did I mention the flash at night? Yes they can be loaded down but then why not just pick up the .45?

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #30

Liked 318 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 34

p35bhp55 The opening tread did not have a need only a comparison to a 357. Now you call that 357 load a real magnum?? I call it mild. The early loads pushed a 158gr bullet over 1500fps. Maybe by current standards the load you use is fit to shoot in your model 19 as that's about all it can handle . Not the orginal design standard many of use still load too for hunting needs.

What is that 175gr 10mm load supposed to be, special?? I showed what both are capable of with a better class of production ammo from the same company. You are the one doing the apples to broccoli thing.

Did you even bother to look at underwoods site? Read underwoods ballistics or just one of the others companies that load close to the design limits of the cartridge. Just don't shoot them in your model 19. Your useing some of the anemic loads from the big boy companies in 357mag that has to be loaded to a level that will function safely in some old under designed 357pistol that are known by many to not be strong enough to maintain shooting full house loads in. The K frame was considerd a practice with 38's and carry 357 type handgun before sammi standards were reduced .

Why not pick up a 45 ?? I can as have one but for what some of use want a 357 for a 45 is only in second place. The 45 makes a good personal defense cartridge. But not a good hunting option. And because some of use like to load our own. Also with the right powder in a 357 a mild low flash load can match a 200 or 230gr 45 acp energy level with only a soft shooting lower velocity 180 or 200gr load. I have a 45 but don't think its anything special and don't carry it. Just a house gun/fun gun. It has its place but since the op asked about comparisons to a 357 that kinda leaves the 45acp in the dirt even at +P levels. That's why I mention the 10mm as it can be in the same class of cartridge but not better. Egual. For personal protect only that would change the tread from post #1 as a short barrel 357 is not a good choice for most needs. .

Blackxpress lets go hunting with handguns . You take what ever current cop or soldier pistol you would carry for a handgun and I'll take one of my revolvers a hunt with. Might run into a big bear so be ready. Might make a shot to kill well beyound 100 yards too.

Last edited by hardluk1; 11-16-2013 at 03:53 PM.