.357 vs .44 - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 vs .44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #141
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
Please take some friends.
Please take some friends that run slower than you.....

AS far as running downhill- the large bears that I have seen can move as fast as a racehorse. If you are on foot, you have same chance of outrunning bear that I have of being elected Pope. (Hey- it COULD happen!)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #142
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

+1.
I have sat on hillsides and watched bears chasing caribou up and down hill and never slow down until they eventually tire. Bears can't run downhill is just a false hope. It's far better to play dead and cover the back of your head and neck with your hands. Running just makes every predatory animal think of you as food.
And if it is a black bear or mountain lion, fight it to the death. Do not lay still. It is on you to eat you.
And yes, the 357 is much more practical in the city than a 44, but both work great as a HD weapon. If you can handle the recoil and are using rounds more like glazier safety slugs than heavier penetrating rounds. Any 9mm or 40, or 45 is probably better in a house.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 05-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #143

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
+1.
I have sat on hillsides and watched bears chasing caribou up and down hill and never slow down until they eventually tire. Bears can't run downhill is just a false hope. It's far better to play dead and cover the back of your head and neck with your hands. Running just makes every predatory animal think of you as food.
And if it is a black bear or mountain lion, fight it to the death. Do not lay still. It is on you to eat you.
And yes, the 357 is much more practical in the city than a 44, but both work great as a HD weapon. If you can handle the recoil and are using rounds more like glazier safety slugs than heavier penetrating rounds. Any 9mm or 40, or 45 is probably better in a house.
Thank you again!! Nice to hear about experiences vs opinions! I love the chat and to hear people's opinions but there are times that it turns into a pissing contest!!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #144
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Thank you again!! Nice to hear about experiences vs opinions! I love the chat and to hear people's opinions but there are times that it turns into a pissing contest!!
Well I heard that if you smear yourself in Crisco and hold a bunch of bananas over your head that a bear will assume you are a rock and run right by you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #145
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

You have some strange rocks in your area!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #146

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own both and reload for both. They are both fun to shoot but IMHO if your intention is to use it for SD go with the 357. The 44 would be a good choice for hunting or for self defense in the wild (Large 4 legged creatures) but for every day SD in populated areas the 357 is more than enough.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #147

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman
I own both and reload for both. They are both fun to shoot but IMHO if your intention is to use it for SD go with the 357. The 44 would be a good choice for hunting or for self defense in the wild (Large 4 legged creatures) but for every day SD in populated areas the 357 is more than enough.
I think this is the general opinion of the majority! 357 a little cheaper to shoot, a little more pleasant to shoot, but plenty of horsepower for SD!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #148

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Knock down power for what? And I would go with the 357, it's a versatile round. A gun that can shoot 357, can also shoot 38s.
This is why I would go with the 357.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #149

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

One of my all time favorites is the .357. It is a great caliber for self defense, I have double actions and single actions in it. My favorite one for carry is my S&W 686 4"... just love that gun! When I first got into law enforcement I was issued a S&W 681 and fell in love with them. They are accurate, reliable and tough. Very hard to go wrong with. I am retired from police work, but will always love my .357.

Dean

NRA Member
SASS Member (Alias-Marshal Slim Chisum)

bluez Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #150
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdean65
One of my all time favorites is the .357. It is a great caliber for self defense, I have double actions and single actions in it. My favorite one for carry is my S&W 686 4"... just love that gun! When I first got into law enforcement I was issued a S&W 681 and fell in love with them. They are accurate, reliable and tough. Very hard to go wrong with. I am retired from police work, but will always love my .357.
I used to listen to my Dad, and Uncles(all LEO's) talk about their Guns & what they liked carrying. My Dad Didn't dislike Auto's,..but he was "old School" Police...if you needed more then 6 to do the Job you shouldn't be doing it....Until the day they Backed up 4 secret service agents making a counterfitter arrest!! Dad told me he reloaded twice!! then he started carrying both speed loaders & 1/2 moon clips for his Ruger Security Six and His On duty back up, A 3" Colt KIng Cobra,...until they approved Auto's,..then he was one of the first "Bosses" at the Post office police to get one!....I still love the .357 to this day because of those old men,..even if My fave. carry caliber is .9mm,...I'll always have My Python that he gave me....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This