.357 vs .44 - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 vs .44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #131
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3194 Times on 2173 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

one of these days, i want to own a S & W in 41 Magnum! i hve shot only a few rounds of 41 in my life, but i liked it. it's shame it never got the recognition it should have, because it's a wonderful cartridge.
I had an Old Mdl. 57 many yrs. ago. after I sold it to get clear of Marriage #1 I came into a few bucks after my Uncle passed(not to mention most of his gun collection!) and found myself looking at a pretty Dan Wesson .41 with two sets of grips and 4 interchangeable barrels he had bought tghrough his Guns & Sporting Goods Biz. On further inspection I noticed all four Barrels had been MAG-na-ported!! My cousins were more interested in my uncle's photo collection & paintings(he had no children of his own) So they got the art, I got the Guns!!(I was the Fave. Nephew anyway!) My Uncle was an interesting person....8 Yrs In the Army with a Photo Intel Unit, 24 Yrs NYPD(last 14 as a Det.) and He was noted and commended for two different incidents: he was one of the Orig. NYPD "Stake Out Squad" cops(decoy units!) and then he helped put Son Of Sam away..no wonder he Drank and loved Guns...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #132

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post

I track animals like these for a living. Ones that can do you harm, and others within nose distance who are looking for a free lunch

The biggest caliber I can handle the recoil of is a 44 magnum, and that is never big enough when you actually see something stalking you.
like this:

I'll continue to use my puny S&W 626 44 magnum and hope to live happily ever after in the real outdoors world.

But for a self defensive handgun in the urban areas, a 357 will easily do.
Thank you for your input on this.
In your opinion /expertise would you recommend one who already has a serviceable 357, to get bear spray instead of buyin a bigger gun that most likely will spend 99% of its time in a safe?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #133
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I would recommend if in bear country, to go with several people, stay together and if you see a bear, move as one, slowly and back away until out of danger. Make a lot of noise, to let it know you are human, not a tasty animal. They have terrible eye-sight. Let your friends buy the 1200 dollar guns that are so huge in reality they couldn't get it out of the holster in time before a big bear decided instead of mock charging you, to really go for it and have a taste.
A 357 with hard cast, and I mean hard, not the soft stuff you normally get for target shooting, is a pretty good defensive round for a black bear in the 'lower 48'. A small grizzly bear in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho is best to have a 44 mag or bigger with you. In Alaska, a brown bear and a 357 fight, the bear mostly wins. Any caliber of handgun from 357 to 44 and up can kill a big brown bear, if you are lucky. But those times are rare.
There was even an article when the Smith 500 came out, and two experienced hunters went out to hunt for a large brown bear. They came upon one in the sand dunes on a beach, and got close enough to take it. They jumped up and both emptied their cylinders with all 10 shots before the bear died. Other stories are even a 22 revolver killed a mother bear in Yellowstone by the female backpacker luckily shot it in the ear and killed it, instantly. When a 1000 pound bruin comes running at you, even the biggest of handguns wont turn its momentum on you. And if it is close enough to you before you even get a chance to see it (which is very normal for the coastal areas of Alaska) you will come out bleeding.

I personally don't believe in the bear spray they tell us to use. I have seen it at times work, and other times not work. At least before you are eaten, you can feel comfortable with a handgun knowing you may have started a blood trail for others to follow after your remains

And if you do have a handgun, get a good chest holster to carry it in. Too many times a person who is actually attacked that had a handgun on their hip, when you are being slung around like a rag doll, your instincts are to be in a fetal position, you hands are covering your chest or head. A gun on the hip is most the time like having it left in the glove box.

And if you are lucky enough to see a bear, most do this when they see you:

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 05-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #134
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

in bear country, one has to remember that the bear is higher up the food chain than the person!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #135

Quote:
I would recommend if in bear country, to go with several people, stay together and if you see a bear, move as one, slowly and back away until out of danger. Make a lot of noise, to let it know you are human, not a tasty animal. They have terrible eye-sight. Let your friends buy the 1200 dollar guns that are so huge in reality they couldn't get it out of the holster in time before a big bear decided instead of mock charging you, to really go for it and have a taste.
A 357 with hard cast, and I mean hard, not the soft stuff you normally get for target shooting, is a pretty good defensive round for a black bear in the 'lower 48'. A small grizzly bear in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho is best to have a 44 mag or bigger with you. In Alaska, a brown bear and a 357 fight, the bear mostly wins. Any caliber of handgun from 357 to 44 and up can kill a big brown bear, if you are lucky. But those times are rare.
There was even an article when the Smith 500 came out, and two experienced hunters went out to hunt for a large brown bear. They came upon one in the sand dunes on a beach, and got close enough to take it. They jumped up and both emptied their cylinders with all 10 shots before the bear died. Other stories are even a 22 revolver killed a mother bear in Yellowstone by the female backpacker luckily shot it in the ear and killed it, instantly. When a 1000 pound bruin comes running at you, even the biggest of handguns wont turn its momentum on you. And if it is close enough to you before you even get a chance to see it (which is very normal for the coastal areas of Alaska) you will come out bleeding.

I personally don't believe in the bear spray they tell us to use. I have seen it at times work, and other times not work. At least before you are eaten, you can feel comfortable with a handgun knowing you may have started a blood trail for others to follow after your remains

And if you do have a handgun, get a good chest holster to carry it in. Too many times a person who is actually attacked that had a handgun on their hip, when you are being slung around like a rag doll, your instincts are to be in a fetal position, you hands are covering your chest or head. A gun on the hip is most the time like having it left in the glove box.

Thanks. I most certainly plan to have a camera. I dont plan on killin unless i have no other choice, i figure that most animals will not want to mess with humans, most of the time. Was camping north of kettle falls, wa, was about five miles from canadian border. At the campsite there were fresh big bear tracks, on the other side of the small lake a cougar had sprayed early in the am. Both animals stayed out of site. Though the cougar was very close still. I wasnt huntin, just enjoyin nature, had my 357 loaded with full power 158 lswc from the late 70's, just in case. When i test fired a couple rounds into a jug of water, i was surprised at just how much hotter they loaded the stuff back then.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #136

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I don't see many grizzlies in Tennessee , so I carry a .357 in the bush. If I were in grizzly country, I would have a .44 no doubt. Just my input.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #137
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I prefer hunting them with my camera than a gun. Are you going to be with anyone, or solo? The more eyes out there in a group the better chances of not getting into any trouble. I've found the best way to see bears is to sit on a hillside overlooking a trail. As hikers go up and down these trails, the bears will sneak out onto the trail to sniff around, and then scuttle back out of sight before the next approaching hiker comes around the corner. And watch out for the mountain lions, as they are waaay more dangerous than bears. If one is close enough to you, it isn't there by mistake. That means it is stalking you. They will go for the throat before most would even know it is there. Please take some friends.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #138

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Lions are quick and deadly. We have a teen age male missing south of my place. The Apache trackers confirmed it was a lion attack. The body has not been found.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #139

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna

Very valuable info!! So is there any truth, in the fact that if you run downhill the bear will lose his balance and tumble!! I've heard this theory since I was a kid!! I wouldn't want to bet my life on it, but I was just curious if there was any truth to that!! I'm just a novice gun owner and range freak!! And yes if I was near or around dangerous animals I would carry bigger than. 357!! But I'm talking about the average person living in the suburbs that shoot once and awhile and carry conceal!! I just think the 357 is more practical to carry and shoot!! I've shot small frame 44 mag. That you could carry and my limited experience was Not pleasant!! But I damn sure like that 44 Smith in my safe!! Just in case!!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #140

Quote:
I prefer hunting them with my camera than a gun. Are you going to be with anyone, or solo? The more eyes out there in a group the better chances of not getting into any trouble. I've found the best way to see bears is to sit on a hillside overlooking a trail. As hikers go up and down these trails, the bears will sneak out onto the trail to sniff around, and then scuttle back out of sight before the next approaching hiker comes around the corner. And watch out for the mountain lions, as they are waaay more dangerous than bears. If one is close enough to you, it isn't there by mistake. That means it is stalking you. They will go for the throat before most would even know it is there. Please take some friends.
I prefer shooting em with a camera as well. Even taken pics of tornado, and of lightening in severe thunderstorm, lol. All the hikes ive been on so far were in groups. Minus the last one, was just one other person. Not sure yet about the future trips, hope to get my brother to go with.