.357 vs .44 - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 vs .44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Axx55, Yes the .41 Mag. never made the market high water mark. There have been a number of .41 Calibers over time all conceived as defensive handguns. The .41 Colt and the .41 Remington come to mind both under powered poor performers. I think .41 caliber has become a poor choice in the American lexicon.
Kieth and others pushed the .44 Mag. as a police weapon. Some police did use them for a time. They were just too much and too expensive. The very rare Mdl. 29 5" was a special order for a Texas Dept.
The .41 Magnum was developed expressly as a law enforcement weapon. My Mdl. 58 .41 Magnum 4" HB is marked San Francisco PD. It was issued to the motorcycle patrols. The failure of the .41 to law enforcement and the lack of interest in the beautiful Mdl. 57 as hunting arm was really the end.
The .41 has a limited following. They cost as much as a .44 Mag and there is a lack load choices. Americans just simply have a love affair with the .44 and .45 caliber handguns.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #122
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Axx55, Yes the .41 Mag. never made the market high water mark. There have been a number of .41 Calibers over time all conceived as defensive handguns. The .41 Colt and the .41 Remington come to mind both under powered poor performers. I think .41 caliber has become a poor choice in the American lexicon.
Kieth and others pushed the .44 Mag. as a police weapon. Some police did use them for a time. They were just too much and too expensive. The very rare Mdl. 29 5" was a special order for a Texas Dept.
The .41 Magnum was developed expressly as a law enforcement weapon. My Mdl. 58 .41 Magnum 4" HB is marked San Francisco PD. It was issued to the motorcycle patrols. The failure of the .41 to law enforcement and the lack of interest in the beautiful Mdl. 57 as hunting arm was really the end.
The .41 has a limited following. They cost as much as a .44 Mag and there is a lack load choices. Americans just simply have a love affair with the .44 and .45 caliber handguns.
it fell in between the 357 Mag. and he 44 Mag. it's still a neat round though and i agree with you as well.

it will never have the same level of popularity the 357 or the 44 have, but i doubt it will ever totally disappear either. i own one for sure just for the fun of it!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #123

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

With off the shelf or standard pressure ammo, the .357 can do anything that the .44 mag can do, including stopping a bear, however the .44 does it a whole lot better, but now when you go up to the super hot .44 loads you might as well not use the two calibers in the same sentence-totally different comparison.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

big shrek Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #124

Humm? Breaking a bears front leg with a .38 caliber bullet will lack the advantage of the .44 caliber slug. In so far as shooting a bear with a handgun is going to result in a near death experience at least, you may as well go down fighting.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #125

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Outside of huge creatures that you only encounter in certain parts of the world and the fact they rarely get aggressive, coupled with the fact that they don't exist in my part of the world!! 357 is the overwhelming choice for me!!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #126

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

So far its been mostly the same for me, though there are some trips im planning where i would be foolish not to acquire a 44 mag at minimum. Wanting to hike the Pacific crest trail as well as continental divide. As well as Yellowstone. But those hikes are probably 10 years away.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #127

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
So far its been mostly the same for me, though there are some trips im planning where i would be foolish not to acquire a 44 mag at minimum. Wanting to hike the Pacific crest trail as well as continental divide. As well as Yellowstone. But those hikes are probably 10 years away.
It's in our blood, to want biggest, but we have hard time explaining why?? I would love to know the percentage of folks, that have ever seen a grizzly or other big game in the wild that has the potential to do harm! 357 or 44, they both will do 99.5% of what we ask them to do, if the one asking, knows how to use the gun! Extreme cases might demand the 44 over the 357! But in rare cases, one could argue that the 357 would have been better served!! Splitting hairs here!! But it's fun to listen to all the grizzly stories, such wild imaginations lol both are wonderful, proven Calibers. I own both and the 357 is much more practical and enjoyable to own!! My big 44 mag sets in my safe and collects dust!! Why?? Can't carry it, ok I might take it to the range twice a year and pop off 100 bucks of ammo, just to justify me owning it!! Beautiful gun, 629 mountain gun stainless!! But it's like an expensive piece of jewelry that never gets worn!! My 357 is more personal, why? I Carry it often and I shoot it often and it generally sets on my night stand!! It usually goes where I go!! You guys can plan all the great Alaskan trips your imagination can dream of!! But me and my puny 357 sp101 RUGAR will live happily ever after in the real world!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #128

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
it fell in between the 357 Mag. and he 44 Mag. it's still a neat round though and i agree with you as well.

it will never have the same level of popularity the 357 or the 44 have, but i doubt it will ever totally disappear either. i own one for sure just for the fun of it!
Yup- thats why i bought my 3 screw Blackhawk 41

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6748 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
It's in our blood, to want biggest, but we have hard time explaining why?? I would love to know the percentage of folks, that have ever seen a grizzly or other big game in the wild that has the potential to do harm! 357 or 44, they both will do 99.5% of what we ask them to do, if the one asking, knows how to use the gun! Extreme cases might demand the 44 over the 357! But in rare cases, one could argue that the 357 would have been better served!! Splitting hairs here!! But it's fun to listen to all the grizzly stories, such wild imaginations lol both are wonderful, proven Calibers. I own both and the 357 is much more practical and enjoyable to own!! My big 44 mag sets in my safe and collects dust!! Why?? Can't carry it, ok I might take it to the range twice a year and pop off 100 bucks of ammo, just to justify me owning it!! Beautiful gun, 629 mountain gun stainless!! But it's like an expensive piece of jewelry that never gets worn!! My 357 is more personal, why? I Carry it often and I shoot it often and it generally sets on my night stand!! It usually goes where I go!! You guys can plan all the great Alaskan trips your imagination can dream of!! But me and my puny 357 sp101 RUGAR will live happily ever after in the real world!
I track animals like these for a living. Ones that can do you harm, and others within nose distance who are looking for a free lunch

The biggest caliber I can handle the recoil of is a 44 magnum, and that is never big enough when you actually see something stalking you.
like this:

I'll continue to use my puny S&W 626 44 magnum and hope to live happily ever after in the real outdoors world.

But for a self defensive handgun in the urban areas, a 357 will easily do.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #130

Very fine post Anna. We do not carry heavy handguns in "Grizz" country based on statistics. Such things as your chances of being attacked is one in ninety nine?
I really don't think these Stats mean that much when you are faced with a critter 3 times your size intent on your demise.