Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 Snubbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
I own a 4" 686, it's a great gun, but I want a smaller frame. And I understand how small, light, revolvers behave. I just happen to enjoy it, I don't know why but I do.

It's just a fetish of mine.

Most of the feedback I'm getting is pointing me in the SP101 direction as well, I really like its looks too. The thing is, the S&W 60 feels better in my hand and it's quite a bit cheaper (remember I'm not in the US, we've got weird pricing here). Are there Hogue grips for the SP101?
There are Hogue grips available for the SP101 but one thing unique about Ruger is that their factory grip wraps completely around the frame which helps reduce felt recoil, very similar to what you gain when adding a hogue to other pistols.

I will agree with robocop, if you want a gun to eat magnums day in and day out the larger frame gun is the way to go for long term durability. If you are looking for a a small frame 357 that will handle magnums on a regular basis I believe the SP101 is your best option.

I do regularly shoot magnums thru mine but I should put that in better context. I bought it for my wife to shoot 38s thru, I like magnums so picking a caliber was a no brainer. The gun typically only gets fired when my wife goes with me to shoot which is once a month at most, it may go 6-8 weeks between shootings (don't jump on me for my wife not shooting enough, she enjoys it and shoots well but doesn't enjoy it as much as I do. I don't want to push her away from it.) so it does see regular use but not weekly like you're discussing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

Trust me on this one...
You WILL NOT shoot 2 boxes of .357 Magnums in a S&W 60 each week. You won't make it through the first box... before you'll be ready to ho home and soak your hand... BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.
Actually, I used to do it with my 640 until it was stolen. Lately I've been renting a .357 snubby at the range (since the one I've got left is a .38). I enjoy it. Like I said, it's a weird fetish of mine.

I should note that I shoot reloads that aren't the strongest possible .357 loads you can get.

Robocop, you're right. I'm going to ask a probably stupid noob question here: What do you mean by "life span" exactly? Is it just that I've got to send the weapon to a gunsmith to get some adjustments, perhaps replace a piece or two? I'd be fine with that, it makes sense that a small frame revolver is not going to stand up to continuous use with magnum rounds as well as a larger one.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2609 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 203

After a while it will develop a condition known as End Shake Cylinder (see the articles section). This will cause light indent misfires and poor trigger pull until corrected. The J and K frames will experience some flame cutting of the top strap just above the forcing cone. Eventually the gun will break at that point. Other failures will more likely happen before the frame breaks. I have only seen one M-66 that got to the point I could not fix. I sent it back to Smith and they replaced it with a new gun. This might be a difficult proposition for you.

Basically they "wear out". The tolerances can get stretched to the point the parts do not engage correctly. This will take a lot of rounds before it will happen but it can happen. Metal fatigue, cracks (especially in the forcing cone and top strap), tolerances out of whack, etc

I agree it will be a difficult thing to do because the 60 will bite harder than the 640 ever thought of.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
After a while it will develop a condition known as End Shake Cylinder (see the articles section). This will cause light indent misfires and poor trigger pull until corrected. The J and K frames will experience some flame cutting of the top strap just above the forcing cone. Eventually the gun will break at that point. Other failures will more likely happen before the frame breaks. I have only seen one M-66 that got to the point I could not fix. I sent it back to Smith and they replaced it with a new gun. This might be a difficult proposition for you.

Basically they "wear out". The tolerances can get stretched to the point the parts do not engage correctly. This will take a lot of rounds before it will happen but it can happen. Metal fatigue, cracks (especially in the forcing cone and top strap), tolerances out of whack, etc

I agree it will be a difficult thing to do because the 60 will bite harder than the 640 ever thought of.
The model 60 was not intended for frequent use, and it has a rather heafty snap to it. It's a well made revolver though...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks to all for your advice. Robo and Mark, you guys are right I just need to grow up and realize that I'm looking for an imposible thing.

For the price of the SP101 I can get a new S&W 60 and a used Taurus snubbie (in .357 as well). I'll practice with the Smith, but since I intend to carry it I don't want to torture it too much, the cheap Taurus will take a beating though.

I still want to get an SP101 with a 3" barrel at some point.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #16

I've got a Smith 60 snubby and 686 + with a 4 inch barrel. I don't have any problem shooting the 357 in the 60. I shoot a box of 38 specials to practice and then finish off with a few rounds of 357 just to remind me of the difference. The trigger is still a little stiff and I plan to get a trigger job as soon as I can come up with the bucks. I carry 357 in the 60 because with only five rounds I want each hit to be devastating. I like being able to just drop this gun in my pocket when I walk the dogs at night.

The 686 + was perfect right out of the box. The most accurate handgun I've ever shot and it handles the 357 recoil very well. A pleasure to shoot.

One conceals easily, the other doesn't.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #17

Any reason why you wouldn't stick with a 38+p gun like smith and wesson j frames. In a 2" barrel the 357 has more recoil, report, and harder to shoot, with not much more gain in energy.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Any reason why you wouldn't stick with a 38+p gun like smith and wesson j frames. In a 2" barrel the 357 has more recoil, report, and harder to shoot, with not much more gain in energy.
It's because of the stupid ammo laws in Argentina. Any sort of expanding bullet is illegal for self defense (we can own hollow points for "sporting" use). All of the 38 +p rounds I've seen for sale were hollow points. Since under my country's law I'm stuck with LRNs, I'd rather have .357s instead of .38s. Even flat nose bullets could get me in trouble.

One of my best friends reloads for both of us and he's come up with as close to an ideal .357 round as we can hope for within our legal boundaries. It's a medium power magnum load, which makes follow up shots easy but still has plenty of power, with soft lead points.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Last edited by Franciscomv; 09-23-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #19

Well that is a very good reason. I don't know of any 38 special +p ammo that is not a hollow point of some sort or flat nose either. However there is the powrball ammo. Would this be considered illegal as well. you cannot visibly see it is a hollow point under the ball.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Well that is a very good reason. I don't know of any 38 special +p ammo that is not a hollow point of some sort or flat nose either. However there is the powrball ammo. Would this be considered illegal as well. you cannot visibly see it is a hollow point under the ball.
Corbon's Pow'rball is illegal as well, basically anything but FMJ or LRN is against the law for self defense.

A few years ago, it was considered a minor offense and the worst you could get was a fine (since it's not an actual law, but an administrative ruling from the federal gun registration agency), but recently judges have begun applying it as part of the criteria to consider a self defense shooting to be a criminal homicide. They even do this to police officers, the result is we get loads of innocent people injured by over penetrating police rounds.

Sorry, I didn't mean to stray away from the topic. I decided to go with the Smith & Wesson model 60, I'll probably have the hammer bobbed by my gunsmith (new bodyguards and centennials are hard to come by here, the importer only offers a handfull of S&W models).

(canto XII, st. 6)