.357 Snubbie
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 Snubbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default .357 Snubbie

My next addition to my arsenal (baring any impulse buys) is going to be a small .357 revolver. I've been without one for a while and really miss it.

I don't need an ultralight gun, I like stainless steel frames just fine. What I do need is a gun that will stand up to a steady diet of magnum rounds. I just love snubnose revolvers and shoot them a lot, so I want a tough gun.

I'll shoot a couple of boxes of .357 through it every week.

Right now I'm looking at a new S&W 60, it feels very comfortable and the price is great (the same as in the US, which is amazing for a store in Argentina). For a bit more money I can get a Ruger SP101, which I've been meaning to try out forever. Is it stronger than the S&W? I like the cylinder release on the Ruger as well, the one on Smiths tends to cut my thumb when rapid firing.

I know it would make more sense to go for a bigger, sturdier frame for frequent shooting at the range, but I like J frames.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2848 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Even the beefed up version of the 60 will not withstand that much magnum ammo. The next step up would be a Model 65. K frame 3" round butt. You WILL have issues with this one also. If you truly want to shoot 5000+ rds of magnums a year, you will need to go up to an L-frame. A 3" 686 round butt was made. They were a special run for Lew Horton allegedly directed toward the US Secret Service. They are out there, but I have not seen one lately.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I have a 3 inch 686+ and it's about the smallest (and lightest) gun I'd want to shoot lots of magmuns through. I was at my range one day a year or so ago and I felt a concussion and heard a gigantic BOOM from the lane next to me (yes, I had my ears on).

Fella had just bought one of those scandium lightweight .357 snubbies and was trying it out with full-load .357 defense ammo. He shot one cylinder though it and carefully put it away. He was visibly shaken and had not had a good experience....

img_686-x.jpg  

Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My wife has a Model 60. She shoots .38's in it. I've fired .357's through it with no problems. I guess that hundreds or thousands of .357's wouldn't be good for it. But once in a while, it's not a big deal.

Check out the SP101, it's a stout little rascal and will take .357's all day long.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
arizona Likes This 
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a Ruger SP101 that I bought for the wife to shoot 38s. I also wanted an all around gun that could take magnums all day long for years to come. I was consistantly pointed back to the SP101. It's a great pistol with a reputation for eating hot magnums with a smile.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I have a 3 inch 686+ and it's about the smallest (and lightest) gun I'd want to shoot lots of magmuns through.
I own a 4" 686, it's a great gun, but I want a smaller frame. And I understand how small, light, revolvers behave. I just happen to enjoy it, I don't know why but I do.

It's just a fetish of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I have a Ruger SP101 that I bought for the wife to shoot 38s. I also wanted an all around gun that could take magnums all day long for years to come. I was consistantly pointed back to the SP101. It's a great pistol with a reputation for eating hot magnums with a smile.
Most of the feedback I'm getting is pointing me in the SP101 direction as well, I really like its looks too. The thing is, the S&W 60 feels better in my hand and it's quite a bit cheaper (remember I'm not in the US, we've got weird pricing here). Are there Hogue grips for the SP101?

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #7

Yes, you can order Hogue grips for the SP101 straight from the Ruger website with the Ruger emblem on the side. I put these on my SP101 and definitely like the feel better when shooting .357's. Very pleased with the SP101!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #8

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I have a Taurus 605 with a 3" barrel, and I have been very happy with it, but I do not expect it will stand up to a steady diet of Magnums any better than a S&W Model 60. But it may give you a much cheaper alternative. Depending on the grips you choose it can give a lot of different "feels". Good luck.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2848 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

I certainly understand the want for a compact .357. The problem is wear and tear. Shooting large numbers of mags through a compact gun WILL shorten the life span of the gun. Theoretically a gun has a life span measured in rounds, not years. A model 60 (in .357) may have a life span of 1000 rds of magnum ammo. A model 65 or 66 may have a life span of 2500 rounds of magnums. A 686 - maybe 5000 - 7500. A 27 - MAYBE 10,000.

Kind of like car engines. You can make a 2 liter 4 cylinder churn out 300 HP, but it will not go 100,000 miles with out MAJOR work. A 5+ liter V-8 can make 300+ HP and last easily 100K. 200K is not unheard of.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
My next addition to my arsenal (baring any impulse buys) is going to be a small .357 revolver. I've been without one for a while and really miss it.

I don't need an ultralight gun, I like stainless steel frames just fine. What I do need is a gun that will stand up to a steady diet of magnum rounds. I just love snubnose revolvers and shoot them a lot, so I want a tough gun.

I'll shoot a couple of boxes of .357 through it every week.

Right now I'm looking at a new S&W 60, it feels very comfortable and the price is great (the same as in the US, which is amazing for a store in Argentina). For a bit more money I can get a Ruger SP101, which I've been meaning to try out forever. Is it stronger than the S&W? I like the cylinder release on the Ruger as well, the one on Smiths tends to cut my thumb when rapid firing.

I know it would make more sense to go for a bigger, sturdier frame for frequent shooting at the range, but I like J frames.

Trust me on this one...
You WILL NOT shoot 2 boxes of .357 Magnums in a S&W 60 each week. You won't make it through the first box... before you'll be ready to ho home and soak your hand... BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.