.357 question about barrel length - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 question about barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Accuracy wise, the shorter barrel is as good, if not better than the linger barrel because of relative stiffness. This is more than offset by the reduced sight radius of the snub nose. This allows for small sighting errors to be magnified. The longer barrel allows more precise sighting and more practical accuracy.
Sorry about that. I just responed to the inital post.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree that the shorter barrel is not less accurate, but is more difficult to be accurate with. now at longer distances, the longer barrels do help with velocity that is a factor in accuracy, due to increased MV.

my ideas for revolvers.

2.5" or less for CC or HD.

4-6" for target or range use.

6" or more for hunting uses.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2994 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Nothing to be "sorry" about.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #14

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Practically speaking, FBI studies repeatedly have shown that most defensive shootings take place at very short to point blank range, so that long-range accuracy (something you might well have trouble defending in court as self-defense) is not much of a consideration for CC.

Also, in a very short-barreled revolver flash and blast are magnified even with .38 Special. Personally I'd be concerned that in defending myself in the dark with a fire-breathing .357 I could be temorarily blinded by the first shot and less able to be aware of the state of the threat(s).

Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
Practically speaking, FBI studies repeatedly have shown that most defensive shootings take place at very short to point blank range, so that long-range accuracy (something you might well have trouble defending in court as self-defense) is not much of a consideration for CC.

Also, in a very short-barreled revolver flash and blast are magnified even with .38 Special. Personally I'd be concerned that in defending myself in the dark with a fire-breathing .357 I could be temorarily blinded by the first shot and less able to be aware of the state of the threat(s).
That is not as big of a problem as you might think today. When we first started using the 125 gr 357 for our duty round we were issued Remington ammo. The muzzle flash was, to say the least, excessive! It was like lightning, even in daylight!
When we did our night fire it was so bad you had to close one eye to shoot. But then we went to the Federal ammo which had a flash retardant in the powder and this cured the problem. This was in the early 1980's, today all the modern defense ammo use flash retardant powder.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #16

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good to know--I haven't owned a .357 for years. The ones I did have were a 4-inch and a 6-inch, and the flash from each was one hell of a fireball from muzzle and cylinder gap. Come to think of it, I think I always shot Remington 125gr JHP.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Reloaders have an edge. They can slow velocity down to meet IPSC stds w/o the fireball effect or at least limiting it. Whatever helps you shoot faster and more accurately usually wins.

Even with a high grip n 6" barrel, the 357 can be a handful. Yet, with good loads, grips, & proper technique - it can be controlled. I never liked anything shorter than 6" in my youth but as I get older, I like the balance of shorter barrels. Your money - your call.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2151 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 799

I have changed to Fiocchi ammo for the 357 mag. The local deputies tested Fiocchi for their secondary and off duty weapons. From my 6.5" Blackhawk 125 gr Fiocchi was clocked by a chronograph at 1740 FPS. Fiocchi doesn't have the huge flash that some ammo produces in my old Charter with a 2.5" barrel. The snubby is hard to handle.

Ballistics 101 got similar results from Fiocchi ammo. http://www.ballistics101.com/357_magnum.php

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #19

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nothing prettier than the flash off my SP101 @ night. 3 inch barrel is pretty snappy.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #20

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Sight radius is important - the greater barrel length - the better. But that doesn't mean you can't hit something at distance, even, with a short barrel. On his youtube videos, Hickok45 pretty well dispels the myth that you can't hit at distance with a short barrel. He hits his "gong" at 80 yards consistently with a 2 inch barrel revolver or even semi-auto. The man is good. He is a perfect example of "Don't blame the equipment". He is actually inspiring.

The .357 will rock you harder in a smaller, lighter gun, though. So - you gotta know what you want the gun for. If it is for pleasant range time - a small, short .357 is probably not the best, or at least the most pleasant, answer. But if you want power for defense - there is little doubt that .357 is an excellent answer.