.357 Magnum Brand?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 Magnum Brand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default .357 Magnum Brand?

I'm looking to get a .357 magnum that I will mostly shoot .38 special out of. I want it in black, snub nose, and with a hammer. Any suggestions on a brand?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
I'm looking to get a .357 magnum that I will mostly shoot .38 special out of. I want it in black, snub nose, and with a hammer. Any suggestions on a brand?
Smith & Wesson bro

Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

+1
While there are others that may seem to meet the criteria, I have to agree on Smith & Wesson.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
i have to agree with the others, if your budget is high enough or can find a good used Smith & Wesson go with that, if your budget is a little tighter, check out the Taurus revolvers.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Agree S&W. Or Ruger. If you don't have the cash for one of these just wait until you do.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Why get a .357?

Just wondering why you want a .357 to shoot .38spl..you will have a carbon ring in the cylinder that must be kept clean or .357 cartridges will not go into the cylinder properly. My advice to you is to get a .38 spl revolver such as a S&W model 36 or the like if you only plan on shooting .38's. Besides, you can shoot +P ammo which is plenty powerful enough for personal protection needs. I know my next statement will elicit many noteworthy replies but...a .357 cartridge in a short barrel weapon is redundant..recoil is horendous, muzzle flash is a flame thrower, and recovery for follow up shots is much harder. And the barrel is so short that the supposed added muzzle velocity is minimal at best over the .38 Spl. As a final note, if you wish to shoot .357, get a barrel length minimum of three inches, and prefer 4 inches or longer. The added length allows for nearly complete powder burn and the propulsion necessary to make the .357 perform as it was intended, and to aid in recoil recovery..JMHO of course.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #7

Check out the used market for best value. Smiths will be the most common, followed by Rugers. Colts will be rarer and more expensive.

Buy the one you like the feel of, that has a price that is OK with you.

FWIW I have a Smith Model 19, and a Python, both of which I bought "right" due to patience and luck. I love both. But a Smith 13 or 586 would be fine too, or a Security Six. I don't particularly like the Ruger GP100, but that's my personal "looks" thing, your taste may vary.

Paul

Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i have to agree with the others, if your budget is high enough or can find a good used Smith & Wesson go with that, if your budget is a little tighter, check out the Taurus revolvers.
Agreed.. If your looking for a "cheap" alternative but not something that you want to use as a ccw, Taurus makes a decent revolver IMO. I have a Rossi (Taurus) .357 mag, which is only used for target shooting... hasn't failed me yet. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Smith and Wesson model 60.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #10

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Roll with a S&W j frame in .38. There's a model 36 in a nearby pawn shop I'm pining after right now.

The Taurus/Rossi .357 magnum was mentioned also. I had one of these and sold it only because I needed the money. I had no problems at all out of it, it was a great little gun. But I let my wife shoot it once and it scared her so bad she threw it into the woods and I had to go find it. She said it sounded like the hinges of the world breaking loose. It was a little snubbie.