Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 with an Issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .357 with an Issue...

I have a chance to buy a nice-condition S&W Mod 65 .357 but it is missing one screw from the side plate and the cylinder release. I am curious about:
1. How difficult it is to purchase the necessary part(s) and
2. Ho difficlult is it to install them safely?

I am not a gunsmith, but am pretty familiar with semiautios, although I've never broken them down for more than cleaning. Can anyone offer any insight?

The gun is being offered for $235 as-is in nice condition.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #2

The parts are available on line from World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

however....with a missing sideplate screw, I would curious who had been into the revolver and what were they attempting to do ?

The parts are not difficult to replace but someone knowledgeable and familiar with S&W revolvers should check it for you.

Sounds like a good buy !

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #3

1st questions that come to mind are...
How well was the gun taken care of?
Why weren't the parts replaced before selling the gun?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Cylinder release "nut" came off of niece's boyfriend's S&W .357. I had to get one from e-gunparts.com because Brownells was out of stock. While it looks like a screw, it is a "nut" cap with a slit for screwdriver. I do not remember if side plate screws are the same length. Good luck

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleKing View Post
I have a chance to buy a nice-condition S&W Mod 65 .357 but it is missing one screw from the side plate and the cylinder release. I am curious about:
1. How difficult it is to purchase the necessary part(s) and
2. Ho difficlult is it to install them safely?

I am not a gunsmith, but am pretty familiar with semiautios, although I've never broken them down for more than cleaning. Can anyone offer any insight?

The gun is being offered for $235 as-is in nice condition.

Thanks.
S&W parts are easily available and cheap. As long as that is all that is wrong with the gun it's a good deal.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #6

Default For that price...

I saw the exact same firearm at my local shop for $500 this weekend. Parts and even a gunsmith would make this a good deal, IF and that's the BIG IF, you want this particular piece. I just had a complete rebuild of a 9MM auto and it cost $115 at my local smith's. Ask around and see what they can do for you.

My $.01

Brig

Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the question whay weren't the screws replaced before sale. Easy to get more $ if the pistol has no issues. With the missing screws and no effort to replace them would make me wonder if there are other issues. Can you borrow the pistol and have it checked by a gunsmith before you buy? If not it's up to you, I always go with my first impression, if it doesn't feel right then pass, it it does then go for it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the comments. The person who has the gun wasn't going to sell it until he had time to order the part and replace it, but I asked if he would be willing to sell it without the screw. In an effort to not have to deal with the replacement, he offered to sell it as-is for $235. I have been looking for a .357 and was really looking at a Ruger GP100 but they run around $550 new. The S&W 65 seems to be comparable. I can't look at it before I buy, but I have three days after I receive it to return it for full refund if I don't like it (provided I haven't fired it). The seller has a good reputation. I just didn't know if I was looking at a deal that was too good to pass up. If I have to spend another $250 to get it in working order, then I might as well just wait to buy the Ruger. If, however, this seems to be a relatively cheap part and a relatively inexpensive gunsmith job, then it might be a good deal after all. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

If I remember, the "nut" was less that $12.00 with shipping. And the boy put it on himself. Now, at $235, I wonder what else is wrong.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #10

Very good question dan-fl. Definitely making me wonder. Thanks for the input.