You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

.357 for black bear what bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #21
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

357 with six shots seems reasonable for black Bear as long as you are with in the distance expressed and can hit target. I hunt mule deer with a 7mm TC, use to hunt with a bow so I understand where he's coming from. Close range and a good shot. Even more he is baiting so it should be simple to take a black bear with a 357 (or a hammer) if you feed/bait them. When did hunting get this lazy?

Last edited by WDB; 04-07-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
357 with six shots seems reasonable for black Bear as long as you are with in the distance expressed and can hit target. I hunt mule deer with a 7mm TC, use to hunt with a bow so I understand where he's coming from. Close range and a good shot. Even more he is baiting so it should be simple to take a black bear with a 357 (or a hammer) if you feed/bait them. When did hunting get this lazy?
It's not really a lazy thing, although it is appealing to us "older" guys. The Heli is intended for better locating of these nasty animals. In Texas these pigs are rampid and they are causing tens of millions of dollars in property and crop damage. Not to mention they sometimes kill hunting dogs.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4124 Times on 2106 Posts
Likes Given: 523

What many people do not understand about Texas is we have more deer that the other 49 states put together. We have way more feral hogs than we should. Hunting these two critters is best descibed as harvesting or culling. To talk down about Texas "hunting" is like talking down to a farmer that harvests his corn with a combine enstead of by hand.

Wild life is on the rise here. 20 years ago seeing a white wing dove in Central Texas was a rarity. Now I see more Whitewings than Mourning doves in the Austin Area. Bobcats and coyotes are regularly seen in the suburbs. Even mountain lion sightings are becoming more commonplace.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
To talk down about Texas "hunting" is like talking down to a farmer that harvests his corn with a combine enstead of by hand.

???? Who "talked down" Texas hunting???
You should also check your deer population density numbers. Generally the state's that have the highest auto/deer collision rates have the highest population per sq. mile of whitetail. You have a lot of "deer farms" down there, but Texas doesn't have the highest naturally occuring population of whitetail...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't think anyone was really talking down Texas hunting, per say. It was more about the "convenience" thing of a heli doing the hunting work instead of doing the all-day walking and stalking thing.

But, ROBOCOP10MM is dead on about our wildlife here. I've seen more coytes and deer this year than ever before. The pigs are rampid in some areas and scarce in others. These days, I keep my 629 handy when I'm cruizin' the backwoods.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #26
WDB

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't know how this got to be about Texas. I do understand over population of animals..not in the NW but several years ago I hunted in Min while I was there on business. I set on one end of a corn field while my host and his friends went to another location to drive the deer to me. I was hunting with a bow as this was part of the great plains (flat as hell) so you either hunted with a bow or a shotgun. After a few minutes I thought that they were screwing with me and I was up for a long walk back to town (Pipestone) but then I heard a lot of noise in the corn field and nocked an arrow, in a few seconds there were deer running every where. I found a target and took a deer. When the guys showed up they asked how many did I get? I told them I got this one, they asked how many I saw and I told them that they were every where. They asked why I didn't shoot more and I had no idea that they shoot as many as they can, I shot the one I was willing to eat. Latter I learned the deer are eating the crops so they shoot them when ever possible. These guys will pull over on the way to or from work and shoot a deer if they see it.

The following year I invited the group to come spend a week with me and hunt in the NW. Out of the six none got a deer and all were shocked with the size of the deer they saw. Mule deer tend to be a lot bigger than the white tails they were use to. Even more hunting in the NW was a work out, lots of hiking and no hearding deers. We have a lot of game in the NW they have an advantage due to the terain. I've had deer and bears in my yard eating the shrubs and getting apples off the tree. Never thought about shooting them but I expect if they were eating my crops I would. I have to ask how many farmers here?

On a differnt forum I got into a heated debate about shooting Cougars/mountian lions. An animal not seen often but some say if you see them you should shoot them as they eat people, pets and livestock at an alarming rate. Much like the Black bear more hype than right.

Wild pigs might be a problem in other parts of the nation and wish we had them here as I would enjoy hunting ham and baccon