Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357 and a 9mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .357 and a 9mm?

I was wondering if i bought a .357 could i buy a drum that shoots 9mm would it work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm lost. Maybe a few more punctuated sentences would better convey your idea.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #3

I mean if i buy a .357 revolver could i buy a drum with the gun that holds 9mm so i could shoot the rounds and would it damage the gun the barrel will allow the smaller lead through so

Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The normal diameter of the 9mm is .356"
The normal diameter of .357 is .358".

Accuracy with the 9mm will suffer.

Take a look at the Medusa line of handguns is you want to swap calibers like that.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I presume you mean "could I buy a spare cylnder in 9mm for my .357 revolver". Such a part would be either custom made or very rare. There are several problems with such an idea;

1. The .357 Magnum uses a .358" diameter bullet. The 9mm uses a .356" diameter bullet. Accuracy would be marginal to poor.

2. The .357 Magnum uses a rimmed cartridge that is easy to extract/eject from a revolver. THe 9mm uses a rimless tapered case that would require a different ejector or moon clips.

3. The .357 Magnum case is straight walled and the 9mm is tapered. Machining would be a bit more complicated.

Ruger used to make a convertible black hawk that could shoot 9mm. The single action Ruger uses a slide action ejector rod that will eject the rimless cases quite easily.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ruger makes a single action convertable blackhawk that can shoot either caliber. A single action revolver is the most practical choice since it is easy to swap out the cylinder. The biggest advantage I see is this platform allows you to shoot three of the most common handgun rounds in an emergency situation. Ruger also makes a single six that allows you to swap a .22 lr for a .22 mag, by switching cylinders.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Liked 676 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Its a shame Phillips & Rogers went out of business..
They made the "Medusa" revolver and the conversion kits to put the Medusa cylinder in other revolvers..

My suggestion would be to get a Medusa Model 47... There not easy to find though.. And Ive never even seen the conversion kits

I really didnt notice much loss of accuracy shooting 9mm or .380 compared to .38's, they did impact at different heights depending on caliber, but I would expect that..

I have found the 9mm taper to be a problem though... It seems newer 9mm has more taper than old 9mm... Ive bought old boxes of 9mm and used reloaded ammo with no problems, but every time I buy a new box from the store, only a couple rounds will fit and the rest are just sightly too big at the base... Kinda strange?.?...

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I have a ruger blackhawk in .357 that came with an extra cylinder for 9 mm. Truth is I only used it once. I reload so can shoot .357 just as inexpensive as 9 mm. The accuracy was not as good as a .357 so I saw no practical use for it. Just my opinion.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #9

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

With 9mm bullets being 1ths undersize to begine with the convertble gives the option of useing 9mm with the right cylider but will not be as accurate typicaly. It does give the option to shoot either ammo as a survival handgun. Thats about all.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #10

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Well if you used lead(not jacketed) 9 m/m bullets they would most likely shoot quite well as the bullet would upset enough to make up the .002 or .003. I guess I don't see the point though.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.