.357 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
If you are going to be getting a snub then I would really consider thinking about a .38+p snub instead of a .357,the advantage of that .357 round's knockdown power over a .38+p isn't all that superior in a revolver with a barrel under 4",plus .357 revolvers cost alot more.
I agree with you Ninjatoth. Just last week we bought my girlfriend a brand new Ruger LCR in 38 Special for $399. IMHO, a 38 Special is all ya really need for home defense. I can just about guarantee that I can get off 2 taps quicker with a 38 Special than most can with their 357 Mag. And both my hits will be center mass. I've proved it time and again. Don't rely on power. Skill is what counts. I've been shooting competitively for 45 years and have won my share of IPSC matches and bowling pin shoots. I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 22 revolver for home defense. There is a place for the 357, but its power is not a substitute for skill.

I use to think like you Lucznik and wouldn't ever consider a 38 over a 357 for the very reasons you stated. But after shooting my girlfriends gun, I've changed my mind. The 38 is cheaper and lighter. A LOT lighter ! I have a Redhawk and GP100 but I'm seriously considering the LCR in 38 Special. It's light as a feather, reliable as dirt, has a silky smooth trigger pull, and accurate as all heck. I cut one ragged hole at 21 feet from a bench rest. When I put it in my front pocket, it quite literally disappears. I don't even know it's there.

Having praised the LCR in 38 Special, the OP should get whatever he's comfortable shooting reasonably well, and can afford. Taraus make some nice guns and I've had a few of them. Their lifetime warranty (not just to the original purchaser, but to anyone who owns a Taraus) is really something. And I'm sure there are other less costly brands and models which would also fit the OP's needs. But for $399, the LCR in 38 Special is hard to beat.

As for home defense rounds, I'm not a fan of special purpose home defense rounds. They have their place, but I just don't need them. At night, my GP100 is loaded with what I shot all day, wad cutters. 3.5 grains of Winchester 231 and a 148 grain wad cutter will get around 850 FPS. I can pepper a target pretty fast with that load. And all my hits will be center mass, even when its almost totally dark. I shoot a bow instinctively (without sights). Your mind and vision learn how to point without sights. Now if I'm mountain biking through the forest, I'll have my GP100 loaded with full power 357 mags. There are black bears and wolves around here (Nicolet National Forest in Northeast Wisconsin).

Don <><

Last edited by genesis; 06-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.
ninjatoth Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #22

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
I agree with you Ninjatoth. Just last week we bought my girlfriend a brand new Ruger LCR in 38 Special for $399. IMHO, a 38 Special is all ya really need for home defense. I can just about guarantee that I can get off 2 taps quicker with a 38 Special than most can with their 357 Mag. And both my hits will be center mass. I've proved it time and again. Don't rely on power. Skill is what counts. I've been shooting competitively for 45 years and have won my share of IPSC matches and bowling pin shoots. I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 22 revolver for home defense. There is a place for the 357, but its power is not a substitute for skill.

I use to think like you Lucznik and wouldn't ever consider a 38 over a 357 for the very reasons you stated. But after shooting my girlfriends gun, I've changed my mind. The 38 is cheaper and lighter. A LOT lighter ! I have a Redhawk and GP100 but I'm seriously considering the LCR in 38 Special. It's light as a feather, reliable as dirt, has a silky smooth trigger pull, and accurate as all heck. I cut one ragged hole at 21 feet from a bench rest. When I put it in my front pocket, it quite literally disappears. I don't even know it's there.

Having praised the LCR in 38 Special, the OP should get whatever he's comfortable shooting reasonably well, and can afford. Taraus make some nice guns and I've had a few of them. Their lifetime warranty (not just to the original purchaser, but to anyone who owns a Taraus) is really something. And I'm sure there are other less costly brands and models which would also fit the OP's needs. But for $399, the LCR in 38 Special is hard to beat.

As for home defense rounds, I'm not a fan of special purpose home defense rounds. They have their place, but I just don't need them. At night, my GP100 is loaded with what I shot all day, wad cutters. 3.5 grains of Winchester 231 and a 148 grain wad cutter will get around 850 FPS. I can pepper a target pretty fast with that load. And all my hits will be center mass, even when its almost totally dark. I shoot a bow without sights. Your mind and vision learn how to point without sights. Now if I'm mountain biking through the forest, I'll have my GP100 loaded with full power 357 mags. There are black bears and wolves around here (Nicolet National Forest in Northeast Wisconsin).

Don <><
When I purchased my first handgun I made the "mistake"(if you want to call it that)of buying a .357 snub nose revolver.Being somewhat unexperienced with handguns,I could not hit the center mass at 7 yards with .357 magnum rounds,even in single action.With .38 specials I had no issues at all,I could keep my rounds on a paper plate sized area with the .38's,but the .357's were usually a foot or two high,a foot low and scattered all over the place.Even my late grandfather told me "With that gun there,you'de have to aim at the bottom of that door to hit the door handle".And he never had handgun experience and yet even he told me something like that.I now own a .44 magnum S&W with a modest 6" barrel for a reason,same reason "Harry Callahan"gave to his female partner in one of the "Dirt Harry" movies when she asked"Why do you carry that big .44?",his response was"Cause I hit what I aim at-That's why".Now I know you can't trust stuff you see in movies but in that instance he was totally right!

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #23

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I love my S&W 686+it is 7 shot .357 mag I keep .38 +p hp in it for HD for wife will I work I work graveyard shift

image-283842514.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquidez
I love my S&W 686+it is 7 shot .357 mag I keep .38 +p hp in it for HD for wife will I work I work graveyard shift
Nice, that what I keep in my GP100 too!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had my sp101 since 95 and it has always went bang. My mother-in-law has one of those S&W 15 oz 38 +p snubs (can't remember model) and that thing really bites the hand. The same rounds in my sp101 are far more pleasant to shoot.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #26

I have the ruger lcr in .357/.38 and its amazing i can put them in groups the size of a quarter its light, reliable, powerful, and very accurate