Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .327 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Some one posted go to a range and fire some rentals best advise I have seen. Some one new to shooting handguns and wants a reduced recoil pistol. In their experience what is reduced recoil? Whats is heavy recoil to a novice? How can you explain swiming to a frog until you throw it into the swamp?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #12

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I think she found a .327 that was a bit cheaper than the .38s. I know I know.

I don't tell anyone what to buy or what not to buy. I just try to help them make informed decisions. So when she asked a question that I had no clue how to answer I figured Id ask here.

Thanks guys.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
I think she found a .327 that was a bit cheaper than the .38s. I know I know.

I don't tell anyone what to buy or what not to buy. I just try to help them make informed decisions. So when she asked a question that I had no clue how to answer I figured Id ask here.

Thanks guys.
your welcome a bunch of us just LOVE to over answer questions heh. me included

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

phildenton Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #14

Really? I hadn't noticed.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have an S&W model 632 327 w/powerport, the claim was that it packs almost the same power as a 357 but with less recoil. And they may very well true. But if you haven't shot a J-Frame 357 there is no comparison. My 327 J Frame has more felt recoil than my L Frame 357 model 686 w/3" barrel and wood grips. Soo, a 38/357 might be a good choice in an L frame, but not in a J Frame, unless she starts out with 38 rounds and works up. Better to start low and work up, than start with higher power and be shook up from the get go. The little 327 with the heavy grain 115 Federal is, well let's just say I like shooting my 3" barrel 44 model 629 with 240 or 300 grain rounds better. If she wants a revolver, and a small one, get an L frame with Hogue Rubber grips, it tames the beast. The rubber grips on the 327 don't help a whole lot, it's a small gun.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Let me break it down a little simpler.

110 gr .327 mag 1400 ft/sec 435 ft.lbs
110 gr .38 spc 980 ft/sec 235 ft.lbs

By the numbers alone, given similar weighted pistols, one would expect the .327 mag to have more perceived recoil. However.

115 gr 9mm 1300 ft/sec 420 ft.lbs
230 gr .45 900 ft/sec 415 ft.lbs

So we know that does not relate directly to perceived recoil. Hence my question.
I have a 9mm and a 45 that are about the same weight. The perceived recoil on the 45 is considerably more than the 9mm. I can fire 11 aimed rounds from the 9mm faster than I can fire 7 aimed rounds from the 45.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #17

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

with any choice of revolver, very reduced loads to start is the way to go.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default why

please reconsider you choice the 327 round. it will be off to the scrap heap of failed inventions soon like the 10mm which as good of a round as it is it never really caught on and as stated in another reply sure the 327 can fire all those other rounds but trying to find them can be a pain . try to find some 41 mag lately ? or 44 auto mag , how about the 41 action express . stick with the "normal " more main stream stuff . i believe some of the companys that made firearms in the 327 round have already trimmed the models down . sure sign it'll be gone soon

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #19

Please read my OP again. It is not my choice. I carry a 1911.

But anyway. I was up at Schiels a few weeks ago and they had a plethora of .41 and .44 auto mag on the shelves.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #20

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Taurus .327 Fed Mag, 3 in ported, I love it