22lr shotshell
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 22lr shotshell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 22lr shotshell

Can you put 22lr shot shell in a ruger single six, and fire it without damage to the gun? It would make a good snake gun I think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I wouldn't see a problem there...

Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Yes you can, works well on snakes at no more than 6 feet or so out of the revolver. Use them only in the .22lr cylinder, "NOT" in the magnum..

Jim..................

Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

He could get the .22 magnum shotshells (if they still make them) and fire them out of the magnum cylinder-they would be better than the .22LR shotshells. The .22LR shotshells have a very small amount of #12 shot whereas the .22 magnum shotshells have #11 shot-not much difference but enough.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 09-25-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #5

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
He could get the .22 magnum shotshells (if they still make them) and fire them out of the magnum cylinder-they would be better than the .22LR shotshells. The .22LR shotshells have a very small amount of #12 shot whereas the .22 magnum shotshells have #11 shot-not much difference but enough.
What about out of a 10/22 rifle? Yea this has probably been covered but I never really thought to ask this question thus Iv never looked for a answer to it either.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's highly likely you would have to manually cycle a 10/22 or any other semiauto rifle except for the Remington model 552. The reason for this is because the shot charge & amount of powder develop less pressure than the "regular" .22LR ammo. The reason the 552 will usually cycle them is because it was designed to fire .22 short, .22 long, and .22LR. Be SURE to clean it properly after shooting shotshells.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You won't hurt your .22lr shooting them. It didn't hurt mine.

I tried some and tried to pattern them on paper to see what would happen. I tried some in a 6" barrel .22 revolver and you really have to be within 10 feet to see any holes in a paper target. Further out then that they spread out considerally and most don't show up on the paper. I got the best pattern at around 6 feet (give or take a foot). Maybe the barrel length makes a little bit of difference?

I never shot at a snake with it though. Just paper targets. That was my personal experience with them in a .22 revolver.

When I tried shotshels in a .357 it was a much better........haha

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #8

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

22 shotshells are notoriously bad performers consistency wise. I have had to shoot more than once to hit a snake at about 4 feet. A 38/357 shot charge is significantly better. On the other hand, the little #12 pellets often clump together. My uncle shot at a neighbor's beagle many years ago with a 22 shot round out of a Marlin 22 rifle. His intention was to scare it out of his garden, he did not want to hurt the dog at all. He was a dog lover and then some. It turned out the neighbor's dog was a registered Beagle worth $900, and he dropped him dead with a little clump of pellets that stuck together and went right in the earhole. It was a measured 90 paces. The neighbor was crying, my aunt was crying, my mother was crying, and I think I even saw a tear in my uncle's eye, even before he got the bill.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

WOW thats ton of feed back. Thanks guys!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
WOW that's ton of feed back. Thanks guys!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
that's why were here!

your welcome.

Just curious sir? Where was your informative "feed back" in this thread, other than, "me too"?

Never mind...........

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”