Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .22 rough rider?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 rough rider?

Well im looking into .22 revolvers for a woods and brush gun to carry around and plink coons and armadillos, and kill snakes. This would be my first handgun ( i don't have the Money for a single six) so my question is would this be an ideal low cost gun? the other option i as looking at on gun-broker was A H&R 930? I would be happy with like 5 years of service out of this gun. so is a rough rider good for what im looking for? or do i need to go for a higher caliber or a different gun? (keep it low cost like 200 dollars max)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm sorry to say I don't think much of the Heritage Rough Riders. I'm not impressed with their materials & design and have had to fix too many in the past. Is there ANY way you could afford to look around for a slightly used Ruger Single Six? I'd recommend you save money while looking for a used Single Six as it's hard to hurt them. Try gunbroker.com for used Single Sixes.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Buy that H&R.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #4

I found a H&R for 150 so im thinking of it i guess checking Pawn shops would be a way i could find one? but man EVERY single six is Outrageous i know its a good gun but i don't want to carry something ill cry if it gets scratched. Does taurus or anyone else make a fairly priced .22 revolver?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

For 22 revolvers, I would have to say wait, keep saving, and keep your eyes open for a used Ruger. My experience with pawn shops is that the asking price means nothing, show them the cash and the price drops fast.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Taurus does make a nice .22 revolver, I heart my stainless 4" model 94. It's light, handy, a joy to carry. But they're not cheap. Only compared to a Smith or a Diamondback. (I long for a .22 Diamondback.) Colt that is, i think there is a pos called Diamondback being made nowadays.

Last edited by freefall; 05-26-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: addendum

Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

The .22 is enough caliber for what you plan on doing.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Had a Rough Rider.

Hated it.

Customer service would not make it right.

Dumped it in a trade.

Spend a bit more and go for quality. You won't regret it.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just won a Llama on auction for 225.00. it's a Comanche II .22 Magnum DA Revolver with a 6" Barrel I'm looking to get a El paso Saddlery Flap Holster for it

Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never had to shoot an armadillo but koons and muskrats yes, I found that it took more rounds from a 22 pistol (Ruger Mk III) took about 15 rounds. As where out of my Colt m4 22 lr it only took about 6 or 7 rounds. Me personally for critters I prefer a small rifle that is compacts for wood carry, the pistol I do carry is a Taurus model 66. I have heard good things about the H&R 930 never shot one myself. Just throwing my 1.5 cents...

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."