Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 22 Revolvers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 22 Revolvers?

I am in the market for another handgun and have decided on a 22 revolver. With that said there aren't any out there that are affordable. I do not want an SA but the used values on 22 revolvers are as high or higher than new semi-automatics. I am leaning towards the old H&R 929 a nine shot DA but the price, on these, runs all over the place as well from 100-300 and up! Anyone know of another make of model that is out there? Under 250.00 Please I can not afford a used Smith I wish I could. Thank You

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a Taurus model 94 22lr, stainless steel, accurate and lightweight. Got it because my Ruger MkI feels almost as heavy as my Super Blackhawk. Would think a used one would be reasonable if you can find one. Luck. ps. Maybe a Charter Pathfinder?

Last edited by freefall; 04-23-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: afterthought

Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I have a Taurus model 94 22lr, stainless steel, accurate and lightweight. Got it because my Ruger MkI feels almost as heavy as my Super Blackhawk. Would think a used one would be reasonable if you can find one. Luck. ps. Maybe a Charter Pathfinder?
I'm not a big Taurus fan but I owned a little 4" 94 a few years back and I wish I hadn't sold it. Neat little gun that is a hoot to play with.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the imput. I was looking on the internet and the older ones seem to bring a premium? They cost as much, if not more, than a newer ones. Know any reason as to why? Should I be looking for the older model w/o the underlug? Maybe weaker metal used on the newer model. I do not mind the weight of the revolver.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll try the Taurus Ihave a new model Charter arms undercover and am very unsatisfied with their product. It missfires some of the time and have not been able to get the company to fix it to my liking. (100% no misfires) It is curreently at a gunsmith I know and I will have to pay for the service.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

It's a Taurus and suffers from the same hit or miss QC that all of them do. Binding cylinders and terrible DA trigger are the 2 most reported problems. Spend 15 minutes on Google and you'll see what I'm talking about. I had one briefly that I bought new and it wasn't a very good gun. Bad DA trigger and not really very accurate so I sold it at a loss. The old Taurii (from the 80s) had less complaints.

There really are no good cheap DA .22 revolvers and I looked for a few years. About the best are the used Dan Wessons and you're still looking at $300-$400 when you can find them. At your price point, a used Ruger Mk or Browning Buckmark is a much better choice. No, I didn't want to spend well over $600 for a quality .22 revolver - but that's what they cost...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-23-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I'm kinda going through the same dilemma. I want a DA .22, in order to practice my trigger pull for cheap (and quiet), but it seems like all I can find used are S&W and they are usually marked higher than comparable larger caliber revolvers, so its hard for me to fork out $300-500, but it is what it is.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

A little over 2 years ago I was in my local store in Marietta just browsing. There in the case was a classic S&W K17 with 6" barrel. This gun had maybe 20% of the finish left and one stock was cracked. Mechanically it was in pretty good shape. Anyway, they had it priced at $350 - and wouldn't budge. I left and ran a few errands and said what the heck and went back an hour later to get it - it was already sold. Learned a lesson that day...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I have a Taurus Tracker-Model 970,I think.It is a nice DA revolver,and fun to shoot.
Taurus revolvers are known to have timing problems sometimes,and mine does from time to time. My local gunsmith is going to fix it for me,I learned long ago not to deal with Taurus customer service,just take a gun that has a small problem to a local gunsmith and get it fixed right the first time.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #10

freefall,

I have heard good and bad news about the Taurus 94 all over the place. Do you have any FTF problems with cheap bulk ammo? The price is right on a 94, but would like to hear about some proud owners first.

-FFLGunDealers