.22 revolver for practice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .22 revolver for practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 revolver for practice

I'm looking for an inexpensive .22 revolver to sharpen my shooting skills without breaking the bank in ammo costs. Does anyone know anything about the Comanche I Revolver? A 6" blued version is very affordable, but I'm concerned about the "you get what you pay for" phenomenon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
I'm looking for an inexpensive .22 revolver to sharpen my shooting skills without breaking the bank in ammo costs. Does anyone know anything about the Comanche I Revolver? A 6" blued version is very affordable, but I'm concerned about the "you get what you pay for" phenomenon.

Never heard of Commanche - but you might wanna look into H&R. They used to make an 8 or 10 shot revolver (Mod. 929 or 999) with a long barrel. They used to be very cheap and very well made. I don't know if they are still in business, but if I was looking for a .22 revolver for under $300 I would buy the H&R. I got rid of one many years ago and I wish I didn't.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #3

I remember Llama marketed a revolver model named "Commanche" a while ago but I thought it was a 357 magnum.
Despite the low price, I never knew anyone who could prove Llama was a poor quality gun. Astra and Star are both made in Spain and are decent guns in their own right. Not Sigs or Colts, but certainly not junk. Just the fact that they were imported from Spain seemed to limit their popularity. I believe many of Astra's pistols are VERY close in design (and look identical) to Sig. Depending on how good the price is I might just give it a shot. A full size frame 22 wrf certainly isn't going to be beaten to death with too many rounds through it.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #4

I went for a Taurus 94. Not dirt cheap, but still $300 less than a S&W. I'll save $.30-$.35 every time I pull the trigger versus .38/.357, which will pay for the gun in short order and it can live at the bottom of my tackle box from then on.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you made a good pick. I picked up one a couple of years ago and have been satisfied with the purchase. I got the 5'' stainless model and it balances very well in my hand. CD

Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i have a Taurus 94 4" stainless. love it. light weight, accurate, great small game gun. only problem, the adjustable sight seems to work loose easily, and i'm hesitant to put lock-tite on it. not the cheapest gun you can find, but far better quality than my H&R. why doesn't Ruger offer a Bearcat with adjustable sights??

Old 10-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You didn't specify wether you want a double action or a single action. My reccomendation is a ruger single six blued. You'll never wear it out,every one I've seen shot better than I could,very reasonable in price. Be sure and get model with adjustable sights as it's no fun to have to hold off target just to hit with it when the sights happen to be off with fixed sight model.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You didn't specify wether you want a double action or a single action. My reccomendation is a ruger single six blued. You'll never wear it out,every one I've seen shot better than I could,very reasonable in price. Be sure and get model with adjustable sights as it's no fun to have to hold off target just to hit with it when the sights happen to be off with fixed sight model.
I second that and I would add go find yourself a good used one and if you buy it right and you can if you try and if you take care of it you probably will not loose a penny if and when you ever decide to get rid of it.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have a nice Ruger Single Six. I enjoy it, but I am spending a lot more time with my S&W 617s and 63 than I am with anything else.

If you want a revolver, save your money and get a good one. Taurus isn't consistent enough in QA for me to trust them. A good used gun would be ok too.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #10

You might also look at a S&W kit gun with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. They come with adjustable sights and they are great to shoot and easy to clean. They are double and single action with nice triggers.

Great little guns.