Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   .22 revolver for practice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/22-revolver-practice-6686/)

argyle 08-31-2008 04:31 PM

.22 revolver for practice

I'm looking for an inexpensive .22 revolver to sharpen my shooting skills without breaking the bank in ammo costs. Does anyone know anything about the Comanche I Revolver? A 6" blued version is very affordable, but I'm concerned about the "you get what you pay for" phenomenon.

RL357Mag 08-31-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argyle (Post 38616)
I'm looking for an inexpensive .22 revolver to sharpen my shooting skills without breaking the bank in ammo costs. Does anyone know anything about the Comanche I Revolver? A 6" blued version is very affordable, but I'm concerned about the "you get what you pay for" phenomenon.

Never heard of Commanche - but you might wanna look into H&R. They used to make an 8 or 10 shot revolver (Mod. 929 or 999) with a long barrel. They used to be very cheap and very well made. I don't know if they are still in business, but if I was looking for a .22 revolver for under $300 I would buy the H&R. I got rid of one many years ago and I wish I didn't.

jeepcreep927 08-31-2008 11:33 PM

I remember Llama marketed a revolver model named "Commanche" a while ago but I thought it was a 357 magnum.
Despite the low price, I never knew anyone who could prove Llama was a poor quality gun. Astra and Star are both made in Spain and are decent guns in their own right. Not Sigs or Colts, but certainly not junk. Just the fact that they were imported from Spain seemed to limit their popularity. I believe many of Astra's pistols are VERY close in design (and look identical) to Sig. Depending on how good the price is I might just give it a shot. A full size frame 22 wrf certainly isn't going to be beaten to death with too many rounds through it.

argyle 09-01-2008 12:50 AM

I went for a Taurus 94. Not dirt cheap, but still $300 less than a S&W. I'll save $.30-$.35 every time I pull the trigger versus .38/.357, which will pay for the gun in short order and it can live at the bottom of my tackle box from then on.

seedy 09-03-2008 10:15 PM

I think you made a good pick. I picked up one a couple of years ago and have been satisfied with the purchase. I got the 5'' stainless model and it balances very well in my hand. CD

freefall 09-07-2008 06:15 AM

i have a Taurus 94 4" stainless. love it. light weight, accurate, great small game gun. only problem, the adjustable sight seems to work loose easily, and i'm hesitant to put lock-tite on it. not the cheapest gun you can find, but far better quality than my H&R. why doesn't Ruger offer a Bearcat with adjustable sights??

stalkingbear 10-03-2008 04:35 AM

You didn't specify wether you want a double action or a single action. My reccomendation is a ruger single six blued. You'll never wear it out,every one I've seen shot better than I could,very reasonable in price. Be sure and get model with adjustable sights as it's no fun to have to hold off target just to hit with it when the sights happen to be off with fixed sight model.

h2oking 10-03-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 43422)
You didn't specify wether you want a double action or a single action. My reccomendation is a ruger single six blued. You'll never wear it out,every one I've seen shot better than I could,very reasonable in price. Be sure and get model with adjustable sights as it's no fun to have to hold off target just to hit with it when the sights happen to be off with fixed sight model.

I second that and I would add go find yourself a good used one and if you buy it right and you can if you try and if you take care of it you probably will not loose a penny if and when you ever decide to get rid of it.

Clem 10-14-2008 09:23 PM

I have a nice Ruger Single Six. I enjoy it, but I am spending a lot more time with my S&W 617s and 63 than I am with anything else.

If you want a revolver, save your money and get a good one. Taurus isn't consistent enough in QA for me to trust them. A good used gun would be ok too.

Northwoods 10-15-2008 01:19 AM

You might also look at a S&W kit gun with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. They come with adjustable sights and they are great to shoot and easy to clean. They are double and single action with nice triggers.

Great little guns.