.22 revolver found in garden

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .22 revolver found in garden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 revolver found in garden

Hi all,

Today my father found a piece of a handgun in our back garden. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it/tell me if it is real or fake.

It is a .22 caliber (short) 6 shot double action revolver with a swing out cylinder. It has markings on the left hand side of the frame, with the word "frontier" inscribed just below the cylinder. The barrel, grip and right hand side of the casing are missing. Despite a badly corroded appearance, the trigger/hammer mechanism is still somewhat operational, although the swing out cylinder is jammed in an outward position so that it does not spin.

Googling some of these properties returned the Colt frontier revolver range, but I couldn't find any pictures which matched what I am looking at. They all had longer cyclinders, which I assume is because they load the long variant of the .22 round.

I'm not experienced with guns (I am a UK resident!) so I don't know it might be a blatant fake but hopefully someone will be able to tell me.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Pictures would help immensely.

Welcome to the FTF community. When you get a chance, head over to the new members introductions and introduce yourself to the folks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckboy View Post
Googling some of these properties returned the Colt frontier revolver
Colt New Frontiers are single actions with a loading gate on the right side.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Hi Stuck

I am from UK also. You have come to the right place nothing these guys dont know about weapons. Welcome aboard.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

Liked 769 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckboy View Post
Hi all,

Today my father found a piece of a handgun in our back garden. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it/tell me if it is real or fake.

It is a .22 caliber (short) 6 shot double action revolver with a swing out cylinder. It has markings on the left hand side of the frame, with the word "frontier" inscribed just below the cylinder. The barrel, grip and right hand side of the casing are missing. Despite a badly corroded appearance, the trigger/hammer mechanism is still somewhat operational, although the swing out cylinder is jammed in an outward position so that it does not spin.

Googling some of these properties returned the Colt frontier revolver range, but I couldn't find any pictures which matched what I am looking at. They all had longer cyclinders, which I assume is because they load the long variant of the .22 round.

I'm not experienced with guns (I am a UK resident!) so I don't know it might be a blatant fake but hopefully someone will be able to tell me.

Thanks in advance for any info!
My only suggestion is to try to locate some type of seriel number or rollmark to help in the ID. Just a bit of curiousity on my part, are you now obligated to turn that gun in? Any reason it would have been buried there, is it a WWII era relic?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #6

Default What gun.

There wern,t any .22 service revolvers issued to 2nd world troops this side of the pond that I am aware of. Any Chance you could post a photo or two. I am in North West England if you are close would have look at it for you.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll bet it was a kid's toy from the late 1960's

Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-aaron View Post
I would put a bullet into it and shoot it well try to atleast!

aaron,

You have posted 5 posts and three show you are ignorant of firearms knowledge or are meant to disrupt the forum and could be considered dangerous if accepted as a knowledgeable response. Please stop posting such responses. If meant to be funny please make sure they reflect such. I personally don't find them humorous as the questions asked are serious questions.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #9

Default What !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
aaron,

You have posted 5 posts and three show you are ignorant of firearms knowledge or are meant to disrupt the forum and could be considered dangerous if accepted as a knowledgeable response. Please stop posting such responses. If meant to be funny please make sure they reflect such. I personally don't find them humorous as the questions asked are serious questions.
Well said Dz is that guy for real