22 Revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 22 Revolver

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 22 Revolver

Hey guys,

I was looking into picking up a 22 revolver, preferably single and double action, for a cheap plinking gun, and to use as a gun to help my family learn how to shoot with. From the research I've done I like the Ruger SP101 but can't really find them in stock anywhere online. The Charter Pathfinder combo I found was intriguing but from what I hear, the 22lr rounds aren't as accurate as the magnum because of the bore size.

What are your thoughts on revolvers that have both cylinders for .22lr and .22wmr? Also, what .22 revolvers would you recommend in general?(Heard so/so things about Taurus, kind of leaning away from them). Price cap I would say is probably around $500 tops.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For 500 bucks you can find a shooter grade smith and wesson k-22 master piece .They are called a model 17 if made after 1957.You will find no other more accurate or smoother 22 revolver.Any convertable revolver the bore is for 22 magnum slightly larger bore and the long rifle shoots a little less accurate than through a standard 22lr bore.But it does not mean it flops down the barrel and is a inaccurate piece of junk either.I have a ruger single six and the long rifle is accurate for plinking to the point you can hit 12 gauge hulls at 25 yards with it.It just is not a hair splitting super accurate gun like my smith and wessons.Unless your heavy into super accuracy as in competion a convertable is well within hunting and plinking accuracy and more accurate than many shooters can shoot one.In other words they are not inaccurate just not acurate to the extreme.
I am not familiar with any double action revolvers being sold with both a mag and long rifle cylinder.The ruger single six is single action and comes with both. They truly are a sweet little gun and i love mine might look hard at one of them.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

You can get the Pathfinder in 22lr only if you just want a 22lr. MSRP is $412 and the combo MSRP is $548. The combo wont be quite as accurate but is a nice feature. Is it worth the extra money to you? Street prices are usually lower than MSRP. Charter Arms makes a decent gun. It is made in USA and has a lifetime warranty.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. Im leaning towards that pathfinder in .22lr. The price point seems pretty spot on. In the mean time I'm going to search for a deal on a S&W or Ruger.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

http://www.impactguns.com/handguns.aspx?Manufacturer=Charter+Arms&Caliber=22 +Long+Rifle

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

get an older H & R convertible. its SA, DA. has both cylinders, 22lr and 22wmr. i love mine. its not an accurate,fly killing pistol as previously stated but it is fun to plink with. and im sure you can find one for way below your price point.

heres an example
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283203415

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Thanks. I was looking at that site earlier. They only have one left, I might have to jump on that

Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
get an older H & R convertible. its SA, DA. has both cylinders, 22lr and 22wmr. i love mine. its not an accurate,fly killing pistol as previously stated but it is fun to plink with. and im sure you can find one for way below your price point.

heres an example
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283203415
I've been looking at some H&R's. Any experience with their customer service? I hear Charter is pretty good, but I haven't searched about H&R customer service

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Smith & Wesson makes a nice 22LR. I like the older Model 17 K22 Masterpiece...sweet revolver.

The Ruger SP 101 4" would be a nice one too, but seem to be in short supplu. But they will go for new less than the Model 17 used.

The 22 LR /Mag combo is not for me. The 22 Mag cyclinder will see a lot of range bag time because the ammo is so expensive compared to 22 LR. IMHO, a single caliber/load gun is a better way to go.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #10

S&W's are very nice from what I'm seeing, but they are a bit out of my price range. However, I seem to be looking into spending about $500... the way I see it usually is if I'm spending that much already, why not just throw in $200 more and get the nicer S&W. Right now from what I've seen its between a Pathfinder in .22lr or go big and get the S&W for about $700. You're definitely right about the SP101's being in short supply. Everywhere I've looked they're out of stock. The only thing I kind of don't like is sights on the SP101.

Payday is tomorrow... already spent the check..

Closed Thread