.22 Magnum for Self Defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .22 Magnum for Self Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillie-Monster View Post
........You have a lower capacity mag, longer reload time, and virtually NO stopping power................. All the .22 would do would make him angry
No MAGAZINE on a revolver, hoss.

Let me shoot you with a .22 and see if you get mad, or cry and run away.
(TVLand experience need not apply)

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
No MAGAZINE on a revolver, hoss.

Let me shoot you with a .22 and see if you get mad, or cry and run away.
(TVLand experience need not apply)
yes and no, i think in most instances just having a gun go boom in your direction will make someone run away.

however, if someone is in an altered mental status (drugs or illness) it is possible that they will keep advancing and not feel the impact of the bullets.

these cases are rare, but I agree, if you are good a .22 will deter most people,....at .45 will stop alot more.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #13

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I just got a Ruger single action revolver with a second WMR cylinder for it.What good would it be if it was all I had,but I had it loaded up with magnums?From what I gather,a .22 magnum performs in a handgun about how a .22 long rifle performs in a rifle,and maybe even with a slight edge to the .22 magnum from a handgun over the .22 LR rifle.And comparing a .22LR handgun to a .22WMR handgun-the WMR is about twice as potent as the .22LR in handguns-but would a .22 WMR stop a threat?I have read,and I think the data for the FBI files is that a .22WMR has a 42% one shot stop rating,so the math suggests that I would need at least 2 shots on average to stop an attack,and I see challenges to that in being that my gun is a single action-and two or three holes in someone from a single action might not look good in the legal system since you must think and recock the gun for each shot.Now I am not seriously thinking too much about using it for defense because I have a Ruger 9mm,but my wife has made comments about not really knowing how to use my guns very well,and she gets worried about people breaking in when i'm not home or something.Should I teach her the SA revolver with .22 mags,or should I go through all the steps of showing her how to rack my 9mm?I get worried because when I asked her"what do you need to do to shoot my gun"she said"just pull the trigger",that scares me because I think she remembers what I told her when I used to have a revolver.Maybe I should rack one in and decock the hammer and leave the safety off so it is in DA mode ready to go like a revolver-I don't know.
Others have opined on the caliber already so the 9mm is seemingly the best choice of the 2. Problem here is your wife's inexperience with and apprehension over guns. If she is really serious about learning to defend herself then you and her just need to spend time at the range getting her trained and comfortable using your semi-auto. Otherwise I would suggest that she stay completely away from all the weapons and that you do not leave a loaded one in the house when you are away. Not trying to be a jerk but guns are not something to be treated with a cavalier attitude, they are serious business 100% of the time, even sitting idly in a drawer.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington