Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > .22 Magnum for Self Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default .22 Magnum for Self Defense?

I just got a Ruger single action revolver with a second WMR cylinder for it.What good would it be if it was all I had,but I had it loaded up with magnums?From what I gather,a .22 magnum performs in a handgun about how a .22 long rifle performs in a rifle,and maybe even with a slight edge to the .22 magnum from a handgun over the .22 LR rifle.And comparing a .22LR handgun to a .22WMR handgun-the WMR is about twice as potent as the .22LR in handguns-but would a .22 WMR stop a threat?I have read,and I think the data for the FBI files is that a .22WMR has a 42% one shot stop rating,so the math suggests that I would need at least 2 shots on average to stop an attack,and I see challenges to that in being that my gun is a single action-and two or three holes in someone from a single action might not look good in the legal system since you must think and recock the gun for each shot.Now I am not seriously thinking too much about using it for defense because I have a Ruger 9mm,but my wife has made comments about not really knowing how to use my guns very well,and she gets worried about people breaking in when i'm not home or something.Should I teach her the SA revolver with .22 mags,or should I go through all the steps of showing her how to rack my 9mm?I get worried because when I asked her"what do you need to do to shoot my gun"she said"just pull the trigger",that scares me because I think she remembers what I told her when I used to have a revolver.Maybe I should rack one in and decock the hammer and leave the safety off so it is in DA mode ready to go like a revolver-I don't know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #2

from your pic if you have children in the house I would NOT leave a round chambered with the safety off.

If she would use the gun for self defense she should know how to use them!

take her to the range and teach her how to shoot! once she knows how, she won't be fumbling with the gun during a break in, and there will be minimal potential for accidents.

my 2 cents.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You need to spend time with your wife and teach her how to properly use the weapons you have in your home. I'm guessing you have a child in the house but even without the child, why would you leave a loaded weapon around your wife if she doesn't know how to properly use it? There is a HUGE risk involved in that action alone. You need to make a date for you and the wife at the range.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I 2nd that range visit took my wife with me on a few visits and now she knows how to operate all of my firearms and is not afraid to use them to protect herself and the kids .

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Other than the safety issues already mentioned, the whole notion of "one shot stops" is basically interwebz fancy. The bottom line is you need to be able to rapidly place the shots where they do the most "good" and use the largest caliber you shoot well.

If a .22 was all I had available - it's better than a brick or a bottle...

Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A 22 is better than nothing, BUT its definitely not IDEAL for self defense.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Other than the safety issues already mentioned, the whole notion of "one shot stops" is basically interwebz fancy. The bottom line is you need to be able to rapidly place the shots where they do the most "good" and use the largest caliber you shoot well.

If a .22 was all I had available - it's better than a brick or a bottle...
+1 to all counts.

Teach her to use what you already have. If she can't or won't reach an adequate level of proficiency, buy her a .410 shotgun. It will not only be easier to weild and handle than a handgun, but will still be far more potent than any common defensive handgun caliber.

I wouldn't use the Single Six primarily because it's single action. You would be much better off with a semi-auto .22lr, unless you know for sure you can hit the guy between the eyes with the first shot in every scenario (which sounds like some old Clint Eastwood movie, heh).

Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #8

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
+1 to all counts.

Teach her to use what you already have. If she can't or won't reach an adequate level of proficiency, buy her a .410 shotgun. It will not only be easier to weild and handle than a handgun, but will still be far more potent than any common defensive handgun caliber.

I wouldn't use the Single Six primarily because it's single action. You would be much better off with a semi-auto .22lr, unless you know for sure you can hit the guy between the eyes with the first shot in every scenario (which sounds like some old Clint Eastwood movie, heh).
Funny to hear you mention .410.My wife's grandfather passed away and her father inherited his .410 and then he gave it to me.So we have a newengland arms break action .410,it is so simple to operate once loaded,just cock and boom.I don't know what kind of buckshot can be had for a .410,I have only fired it a few times with birdshot.I tried to get her to rack the 9mm just to show her and she wouldn't have anything to do with it.I wish I could talk her into buying her own gun,maybe a Ruger LCR or something.I would love to see her get her CCW since I can't get one,she could be my bodyguard.lol

Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A 3" 410 shell can be had with 5 pellets of 00 buckshot and 2 1/2" will have 3. Neither is very good for self defense but Federal has made some loading for self defense since the Judge has become so popular.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #10

... I really think that a .22 is not the best choice, especially for a revolver. You have a lower capacity mag, longer reload time, and virtually NO stopping power. All the .22 would do would make him angry, unless you've got some good Center mass shot placement. Remember, with smaller guns, compensate: Remember to Double Tap!

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson