22. Magnum Revolver Questions - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 22. Magnum Revolver Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The mag Hanguns just reviewed the two new defense loads for the 22 Mag by Critical Defense and Speer. Micro barrels, 3.5" and 5.5" barrels were chronographed. One conclusion that surprised me was the increased reliability of the 22 mag. I've been shooting 22mag for over 30 years and never really noticed it but In retrospect, I w have to agree.

At least once per range trip, I get 22 LRs that won't fire, can't remember the last time I had a 22mag that wouldn't fire. maybe I'm just lucky ? Yet, for the extra $, I expect them to fire !

If you are considering it for SD, something to think about.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #32

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Gonsilla I to have been shooting the little .22 Mag for many years. My favorite handgun has been the S&W Mdl. 48 4" K Frame. These were very fine sidearms.

mdl-48.jpg  

Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #33

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

but dam are they LOUD

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
The mag Hanguns just reviewed the two new defense loads for the 22 Mag by Critical Defense and Speer. Micro barrels, 3.5" and 5.5" barrels were chronographed. One conclusion that surprised me was the increased reliability of the 22 mag. I've been shooting 22mag for over 30 years and never really noticed it but In retrospect, I w have to agree.

At least once per range trip, I get 22 LRs that won't fire, can't remember the last time I had a 22mag that wouldn't fire. maybe I'm just lucky ? Yet, for the extra $, I expect them to fire !

If you are considering it for SD, something to think about.
I have had some 22mags that wouldn't fire but I'm still trying to troubleshoot why. I believe part is the revolver itself in my case. What kind of ammo are u using?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #35

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSurvival View Post
I have had some 22mags that wouldn't fire but I'm still trying to troubleshoot why. I believe part is the revolver itself in my case. What kind of ammo are u using?
Hello APSurvival
I would say it could be one or More of Four thing's going on with your gun to cause it to Miss fire. A Loosened strain screw, on the lower front strap the large flat headed screw has to be very tight for the hammer to drop quickly, A weak main spring, what the strain screw set's up against, or a wore hammer nose bushing which is in the main frame area directly in front of the hammer nose If this Hammer nose bushing is wore much it will appear Egg shaped in Nature, or Possible excessive End shake to the gun's cylinder. If you open the cylinder and try to rock it back and forth and there is a good amount of Movement, that is excessive cylinder end shake. This problem can be remidied by Inserting some Cylinder end shake shims. They are sold by Brownell's and come in an assortment pack to cure the Cylinder end shake issues. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate that. Thank you hammerdown.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #37

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
from what i have found out the .22 lr is more acurate the ,22 mag is all over the place maybe it just me learnin to shoot a hand gun tho lol
22 wmr is loaded with rifle powder. A round that burns all the powder all the time is bound to be more accurate. I can shoot a 9mm for the same price as a 22 wmr in a pistol and the 9mm burns all the powder.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
from what i have found out the .22 lr is more accurate the ,22 mag is all over the place maybe it just me learnin to shoot a hand gun tho lol
The .22WMR can be very accurate in the right platform. The best group I ever shot with any rifle, I shot with a Marlin 783 .22WMR with a cheap 4 x Bushnell rifle scope, 5 shot's at 75 YDS. One ragged hole I could cover it with a quarter no flyer. I shot a lot of group's that day, and I was very lucky. I have not been able to duplicate it.
Joe R

A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.” Proverbs 22:3

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #39

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

For the price of 22mag ammo you can shoot a 9mm. The coon will fight just as well shot in the foot with a 9mm or a 22mag. You might be a better shot than I am but never hit the coons foot. I always hit the limb real close to the coons foot. Just enough to make the coon bail out of the tree and fight the dogs.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSurvival View Post
I shoot whatever's on sale - Walmart only offers 2-3 types of 22 Mag - from Winchesters Dynapoint to CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr HP which I am currently using. I use Midway for other loads.