1st Revolver - .357 vs .22 L.R. Recoil Difference? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

1st Revolver - .357 vs .22 L.R. Recoil Difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm sorry but I don't think the 22 is even in the same league as a 38 and certainly not a 357.
I taught my wife to shoot with a 6" 38 and now her bedroom gun is an SP101, still shooting 38s. Both of those guns were chambers for 357 but she shoots 38s. I think you're in the right market in with the 357 but don't expect to be shooting magnums right off. The jump to that from a 22 is a big one.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #12

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

I'd like to get a revolver but don't have to. For home and personal protection, we want to get one that is relatively small in size. Better yet, it can be carried on in a holster. We may then get 2 guns - one .22 l.r. for practice and one .357 for personal protection.

For the .22 l.r., I would look at semi-auto such as a Ruger, Browning, or SIG Sauer with .22 l.r. conversion kit. But the SIG conversion kit itself runs around $400. Not sure if it's worth the investment. Or, just get a separate
.22 l.r. pistol. So many options out there.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8760 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 11622

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wouldn't want to count on a .22LR for self defense, but it is certainly better than nothing. I have been very happy with my Ruger GP100 .357/.38spcl revolver. The one i purchased has a 6" barrel that tames a good bit of the recoil. You should try to find a range that will let you try out a few different revolvers in different calibers and using different ammunition.

I would rather have a 4" GP100 loaded with .38 hollow points than a .22LR in a self defense situation.
I am a female in my mid 50's and I don't have the strength in my hands that I used to when I was younger. I have a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel and I can handle the recoil just fine. I am not a very experienced shooter and this is my first and only gun I own. I highly recommend it. It's fun to shoot at the range and I know it would do a good job of protecting should I ever need tit to do that. In my opinion, and again I am not very experienced, if you could only own one gun, the GP100 might just be the perfect gun for target and home use.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Sadly, there are no good cheap DA .22 revolvers. A S&W 617 will set you back around $700 and it's a great gun - I love mine...

1st Revolver - .357 vs .22 L.R. Recoil Difference? - Revolver Handguns
+1 on the S&W 617. They cost twice as much as a Ruger MKIII or Browning Buckmark (the most recommended semi .22's around here), but they are the gold standard of .22 revolvers. My S&W 17 is the precursor to the 617. I can't say enough good things about this gun. .22 firearms are notoriously finicky about the ammo you feed them, due to the relative inconsistencies in the ammo. For some reasons, it's just difficult to stay consistent when making the .22lr round. But my S&W 17 will eat everything you put into it.

The .22lr is not a good defense round. If you want to stick to revolvers, the go-to choice is the .357. For a concealable .357, I'd recommend the Ruger SP101. That is about as light a gun as I'd possibly go and still fire .357 rounds out of it. There are lighter ones out there, but you will pay for it with a heck of a recoil. If you aren't as concerned about concealing, the Ruger GP100 is just an all-round excellent shooter. Much easier to shoot magnums out of that gun than the smaller, lighter revolvers. Whichever you decide, stick with Ruger and S&W for revolvers.

There is a secondary choice of defensive revolver that seems to be making some headway, the .327 magnum. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but the ballistics look fantastic, and they are supposed to have much less recoil than the .357. But the ammo is not common yet, which means more expensive.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 10-23-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm sorry but I don't think the 22 is even in the same league as a 38 and certainly not a 357.
I taught my wife to shoot with a 6" 38 and now her bedroom gun is an SP101, still shooting 38s. Both of those guns were chambers for 357 but she shoots 38s. I think you're in the right market in with the 357 but don't expect to be shooting magnums right off. The jump to that from a 22 is a big one.
Absolutely. To a new shooter, the difference between a .22 and a .357 can be shocking to say the least.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 AM   #16

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

for a small framed 357 your best bet is a s&w. that said, a new taurus revolver is a very reliable and straight shooting gun with a lifetime guarentee, and you can get 2 for the price of a smith and wesson. they make some very nice carry guns as well. i think everyone should own a .22lr handgun of somesort for practice. personally i like revolvers so thats what mine is. I have guns of all types and my .22 is used more than all the rest combined. when i go to the range i typically take 2 guns. the first is one that i recently bought and am trying to master or one that i havent shot in a while. the second is my .22 which i usually shoot a couple hundred rounds through before i go home.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i have a 4" Taurus Model 94 .22 revolver that is light, accurate, a joy to shoot and carry. For anyone looking for a revolver to practice with I would not hesitate to recommend it. I would not care to have to rely on it in a serious social situation. I would hope to be carrying my 4" Ruger Security Six. It's powerful, light, accurate, a joy to shoot and carry. That being said, I'll probably be armed with my KelTec PF9. It's fairly powerful, light, fairly accurate, a joy to carry. If I have to shoot I'll be wishing I had my Security Six. It's just fatter.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Recoil of a .22LR = like dropping a rock on your foot.

Recoil of a .357 Magnum = like dropping a brick on your foot...make it a big pile of bricks!