1st Revolver - .357 vs .22 L.R. Recoil Difference?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 1st Revolver - .357 vs .22 L.R. Recoil Difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st Revolver - .357 vs .22 L.R. Recoil Difference?

Hi, we just completed our pistol permit class and shot .22 l.r. revolver and semi-auto in the class. Both I and my wife did well with the .22 l.r. Now we're thinking of getting our first revolver for target practicing and personal protection. My wife has very small hands and never shot anything bigger than a .22 l.r.

FYI, I already bought a .22 l.r. bolt action rifle. Does it make sense to get a revolver in .22 l.r. for practicing? Is .22 l.r. too small a caliber for personal/home protection?

We never shot a .357 revolver but think its recoil and noise are much more than a .22 l.r. revolver. Shall we just skip the .22 l.r. revolver and get the .357 mag (which can shoot both .357 for home protection and .38 for practicing)?

The price tag for a .22 l.r. revolver is about the same as the .357. Can you recommend a few decent/high quality manufactures and models for carry-on? I prefer those that can shoot in both single & double action modes.

S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Rossi. Any others?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wouldn't want to count on a .22LR for self defense, but it is certainly better than nothing. I have been very happy with my Ruger GP100 .357/.38spcl revolver. The one i purchased has a 6" barrel that tames a good bit of the recoil. You should try to find a range that will let you try out a few different revolvers in different calibers and using different ammunition.

I would rather have a 4" GP100 loaded with .38 hollow points than a .22LR in a self defense situation.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

As 'gello said, a .22 is better than nothing but is woefully inadequate for self defense duties. As far as revolvers, I'd stick with S&W or Ruger - yes they are more expensive but you do get a quality piece of hardware. I've just seen way to many Taurii (includes Rossi) revolvers with serious problems...

Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

IF you want a .22 handgun, would suggest you look at the Ruger semiauto. However, while a .22 may be better than a pointy stick for defense, it simply does not have stopping power.

A .357 will have considerably more recoil than a .22- not a wrist breaker, but not is the same class as a .22. The heavier the gun, the less the recoil. A set of rubber grips, such as Hogue or Pachmayr can help tame felt recoil. As you know, 357 can also fire .38 Special- and .38 wadcutter is a mild target load for practice. A good .38 Special hollowpoint (Golden Saber, Gold Dot, Hornady Self Defense) have a reasonable amount of authority.

If both you and your lady learn to shoot properly- (two handed, balanced stance) unless you are elves you should be able to learn to manage .357 recoil- but do not start the lady with a light, short 357 that is going to hurt/scare her- been a lot of potential shooters soured by a crappy first experience. PS- my 14 yr of granddaughter shoots my 1911A1 .45- but it was not her FIRST gun.

In revolvers, would stick to S&W. Ruger as a second choice. Taurus and Rossi have simply had too many quality "issues".

With ANY gun, get some ear and eye protection for practice. Or you will be an old man going around saying "Huh?" a whole lot. Ask me how I know that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
...do not start the lady with a light, short 357 that is going to hurt/scare her- been a lot of potential shooters soured by a crappy first experience.
Seconded! I really enjoy shooting the 6" Ruger in .357 or using .38's, but i have never particularly enjoyed shooting the old snubnose .38 Granny gave me. The lil snubby doesn't have enough grip to get comfortable for my mitts, and the noise and kick are enough to be seriously annoying if you need to fire more than a couple of rounds.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #6

I will jump in here and give a thumbs up to the Ruger SP101. I had a j-frame 36 and I could not shoot it that well. The SP101 is much easier to control and even shooting .357 loads is not to bad...

Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

Default Which S&W or Ruger revolver for carry-on?

Hi guys, thanks so much for your feedbacks. While a 4" to 6" barrel revolver is easy to shoot with less recoil, what would be a good carry-on size revolver?

As you know, a brand new S&W will run $600-$900 depending on the model and it costs as much as a quality semi-auto carry-on.

Meanwhile, for practice purpose, we may get a .22 l.r. Ruger semi-auto (around $350). Anythings similar in revolvers?

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Hi guys, thanks so much for your feedbacks. While a 4" to 6" barrel revolver is easy to shoot with less recoil, what would be a good carry-on size revolver?

As you know, a brand new S&W will run $600-$900 depending on the model and it costs as much as a quality semi-auto carry-on.

Meanwhile, for practice purpose, we may get a .22 l.r. Ruger semi-auto (around $350). Anythings similar in revolvers?

Thanks.
Sadly, there are no good cheap DA .22 revolvers. A S&W 617 will set you back around $700 and it's a great gun - I love mine...

Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Is there a reason you want a revolver over a semi-automatic? Don't get me wrong, I love revolvers, and I even carry my S&W 586 on occasion. But in reading your original post, I wondered whether you were looking at a revolver because that is what you shot in your class.

Your idea about a .22 is a sound one. The .22 platform is great for learning at first and later for cheap trigger time. I take a .22 with me on every range trip. Good .22 double-action revolvers, however, are not cheap; they'll set you back as much as a good defense gun.

You may be perfectly happy with a .22 of one style and a defense gun of another (i.e., .22 auto and .357 revolver). Some people prefer to have two guns that are as nearly identical as possible, even going so far as to purchase a .22 conversion kit for their favorite defense gun so they are literally practicing with the same trigger all the time.

Your reasons for the gun(s) you choose are your own. But if you are choosing a revolver only because you haven't been exposed to anything else, I suggest you look at a lot of guns and fire as many as you can before you decide. You may also find a need to get your wife her own gun.

Happy shopping and happy shooting!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 668

I have an SP101 2" with bobbed hammer. It weighs in at 25 oz empty. With 125 gr 38 spl +P it is fairly easy to shoot. Mine has a lightened trigger but it is still a little to heavy a pull for my wife. She can shoot it but likes the Glock 19 better. The recoil does not bother her. A revolver with a hammer can be cocked and shot single action but that is slow even using the off hand thumb for cocking. The Ruger LCR in 357 is a little heavier than the 38 spl model and will have a little less recoil using the 38 spl loads. The SP101 is also available in a 3" barrel. The LCR and SP101 would be easier to conceal than a 4" or 6" revolver.
You might want to look at some of the compact 9mm semi auto pistols. There are quite a few to choose from. I have been looking at the Ruger SR9C.