1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Primer on a factory load backed out and locked up the revolver. Almost had to take it to a gunsmith. It took over 20 minutes to get it working with the help of the range officer. We did not wnt to leave the range with a loaded firearm.
A squib can shut down any firearm
I'd never heard of that before. Thanks.
That would lock up a gun!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #22

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

No contest.

1911A1.

Accept no substitutes...

Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I carry a S&W airweight 642, most of the summer. It's light and easier to conceal than even my Colt Commander.

A lot of great posts on this thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #24

Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For years I carried a 1967 Ruger Blackhawk in .357 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. It was uncomfortable at times but if I needed a gun, that was the gun I wanted to have.

For about a year I carried a Ruger Security Six in .357 with a 4 inch barrel. So much more comfortable and a good gun to have with you.

One year ago I retired and my Wife purchased me a Colt Commander in .45ACP. (Always wanted one but it was a lot of money.) I have learned to be quite profecient with it and it is a dream to carry. Most of the time I carry IWB and it is so flat that I can't believe how comfortable it is. If I have a sports coat on I sometimes carry OWB. Again, it is a dream to carry. I have never had a problem with it and am up to over 800 rounds fired. When I squeeze the trigger it fires.

So I have carried them all, and they have all been extremely dependable and I have had confidence in all of them; and I choose to carry my Colt Commander .45

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #25

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Wow!

Semiautos common failure modes:
Failure to feed
Stovepiping
Failure to fire causing the weapon to be "dead" - no more function.

Each of those failure modes must be cleared by the operator - with skill - or the weapon is "dead".

Revolvers have none of these.

The only one even similar is if the revolver load contains a bad round resulting in a failure to fire - but the gun is not disabled by that like a semi auto is. You merely pull the trigger again and go to the next round. A semi auto is dead. Won't function until the shooter clears the dead round.

And, oh by the way, never shoot a semi auto from inside a purse or pocket or other cover. It is most likely going to be a one shot gun after the slide catches and jams on a piece of fabric or Kleenex or...
--- Doesn't apply to revolvers - shoot them through anything.

And, oh, don't get nervous and shoot with a limp wrist - the semi auto may not cycle to the next round - another jam - which must be skillfully cleared before the gun functions again.
Doesn't apply to revolvers - they don't have a force based reaction auto cycle rechamber mechanism as semi autos do. The cylinder just turns - and it goes bang.

I have seen many of these failure modes in semi autos. I have never seen a revolver jam or unable to fire. Or even heard of a jam in a revolver. Explain how a revolver could jam....

But don't take my word for it. Do your own research. Or take a gun class - they will spend a good amount of time teaching people the shortcomings of semi autos and the proper and necessary way to handle them and clear them of jams.

Revolver is the most reliable way to shoot.
-
-
-
What myth are you talking about?

You may prefer semi autos but that is your own personal preference - not to be confused with the actual characteristics of each gun type.
a revolver cylinder can jam if excessively dirty, out of timing [not very common though], or, more commonly, especially with airlight snubbies firing full house .357, when a bullet jumps the crimp, then youre totally screwed. also if the primer sets back it can bind the cylinder. ive seen and experienced a revolver jam. so it is possible, just not as likely.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Forgetting price, since your life is worth more than whatever you pay for a handgun, your main deciding factor should be what you can comfortably hit a target with. If you can go to the range and comfortably fire 100 full load .357s through an airweight, that would probably be a good choice for you. If one round makes you regret your purchase then it was a poor choice. You have to practice, and any gun that makes you fear a trip to the range is a bad choice.

An interesting story that may or may not help you with your decision.

Link

Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #27

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
I'd never heard of that before. Thanks.
That would lock up a gun!
A backed out primer can lock up a revolver. So can a bullet that backs out of the case under recoil. But these instances are extremely (and I mean extremely) rare with factory ammo. Fact is, a revolver is inherently more reliable than an auto when using factory ammo. That's not to say autos aren't reliable. Just not "as reliable" as a revolver. Having said this, I have and use both for self defense. Just visit an IPSC or IDPA match. Inevitably you'll see a few glitches with the autos, but nary a one with a revolver.

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 08-30-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #28

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
A backed out primer can lock up a revolver. So can a bullet that backs out of the case under recoil. But these instances are extremely (and I mean extremely) rare with factory ammo. Fact is, a revolver is inherently more reliable than an auto when using factory ammo. That's not to say autos aren't reliable. Just not "as reliable" as a revolver. Having said this, I have and use both for self defense. Just visit an IPSC or IDPA match. Inevitably you'll see a few glitches with the autos, but nary a one with a revolver.

Don <><
Yeah,
I've seen the auto jams, failure to fires - have never seen a revolver not shoot. Have rented guns - dirty, of course. Even the dirtiest, nastiest revolver I've rented never failed to shoot --- and shoot well. But a mediocre dirty auto will jam/fail many times in one shooting outing.

Not bad mouthing autos - it's just their nature. In fact, most of my conceal carry is with autos. So - what do I prefer? The autos I carry are small and very concealable. I find, for me, the revolvers are harder to conceal. So I carry autos most times. Doesn't mean I don't recognize the auto's shortcoming with respect to the more reliable revolver.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #29

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Yeah,
I've seen the auto jams, failure to fires - have never seen a revolver not shoot. Have rented guns - dirty, of course. Even the dirtiest, nastiest revolver I've rented never failed to shoot --- and shoot well. But a mediocre dirty auto will jam/fail many times in one shooting outing. Not bad mouthing autos - it's just their nature. In fact, most of my conceal carry is with autos. So - what do I prefer? The autos I carry are small and very concealable. I find, for me, the revolvers are harder to conceal. So I carry autos most times. Doesn't mean I don't recognize the auto's shortcoming with respect to the more reliable revolver.
Hi Colby. It really is a horse a piece when it comes to autos and revolvers. If kept clean and using high quality self defense ammo, both are extremely reliable for CCW. I've been a revolver guy most of my life, but just recently bought a Ruger SR40C. Mighty sweet gun, and no glitches so far. I wouldn't worry one single bit about it's reliability for CCW. And that's coming from a revolver guy!

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #30

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Concealed carry laws even specify that you must be responding to an imminent threat to your life. Meaning very close. Not across the street... Many states even require fleeing as the most appropriate response - and reasonably so...
If you were to shoot someone form a distance that does not present an imminent threat (close) you would be charged with murder - most likely. That is not self protection - that is something else.
You may want to do some more research into relevant laws and the realities of violent encounters. A person does not need to be all that "close" to pose a threat. True, it's hard to imagine a realistic scenario where you could legally "defend" yourself against someone 100+ yards away, but 20 feet, 30 feet or even further is not out of the realm of possibility.

Perhaps the most famous example is the knife drill where someone with a knife in their hands over 20 feet away can stick that knife into their victim before the average person can draw and fire a handgun.

As far as being required to flee, that is much less true these days with the proliferation of "stand your ground" laws. Not that fleeing is still not the best choice many times, but in many states it is no longer a legal requirement.

Quote:
Plenty of people laugh at 22's - but more people have been killed in history with 22's than any other caliber.
I suspect this Is one of those things that has been repeated so many times as to become accepted fact, without any data to back it up. Sure a the .22 can and has killed people but it simply is no where near as reliable at stopping an attacker as larger, centerfire rounds are. Sure a .22 is better than nothing but it is far from being a "good" choice for SD unless you are physically impaired and unable to handle anything better.