1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 288 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 32

What revolver and how do you live and dress??. Maybe nether is best. I carried a taurus 85 for 20 years now a compact or sub 9mm. You will know better than any of us as some here will cc a 44 mag.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I am mainly a 1911 guy and that's what I kept with my for a long time. I still do for the most part. But I recently bought a Smith 637 Airweight and that's what I've had on me in these hotter summer days. I can drop the thing in my pocket and it's like it's no there it's so light. With a decent +P round it's still easy to shoot and I don't feel underpowered. I really have no problem with capacity. I'm not one that carries a lot with me anyway. I have a friend that carried a G19 with 2 extra mags and I just can't see needing that much ammo. I don't plan on needing that many shots anyway. It's why I practice/train so much If I really need30+ rounds then I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque Doc.

Get what you shoot best. You should be able to use the weapon and hit your target without needing to think about it too much. You wont have time to if sometihng bad i sgoing no truth be told. So you should be 100% comfortable with what you are carrying to protect yourself. Either a revolver or semi auto will get it done. They both have their plus and minuses. All handguns are a compromise when you get down to it. So just make the compromise that fits you best.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #13

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

If it's concealed carry that you're talking about - previous poster is correct. A lot of ammo is not going to be needed. It will be up close. Two or three shoots is the entire thing.
Concealed carry laws even specify that you must be responding to an imminent threat to your life. Meaning very close. Not across the street... Many states even require fleeing as the most appropriate response - and reasonably so...
If you were to shoot someone form a distance that does not present an imminent threat (close) you would be charged with murder - most likely. That is not self protection - that is something else.

So concealed carry for self protection - likely a gun that will shoot reliably - and close up. You don't need extreme accuracy - you are close up and pointing the gun - not aiming from a distance. This is not hunting.

Most any caliber that you can carry comfortably enough - so that you will carry - rather than leave at home that day - because it is too big, too heavy too uncomfortable, too unconcealable,.... that's what you should carry. It's real pretty simple - made complicated by many people and there perceptions of what is good (lots of ammo - huge calibers - latest technology - vast magazines - ...) There is a lot of gee whiz - need bigger, better - out there about guns. These are not hunting trips you are preparing for - they are up close and personal self defense.

Hunting trips - going to Alaska camping - maybe you might need a heavy caliber and be good at 150 feet. ----- But that is not concealed carry.

For concealed carry it must shoot. When you need it to shoot - and not jam.

And if it's a 22, that's fine. Plenty of people laugh at 22's - but more people have been killed in history with 22's than any other caliber.
-- Exp. Would you stand in front of a 22 and let someone shoot you? How about when someone unloaded his 22 into you??

Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #14

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

If you go with revolver you can usually get lighter springs (trigger and hammer) to smooth out and reduce the trigger squeeze and not very expensive either, i paid less than $20 to do mine recently.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #15

Liked 288 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 32

If you like a DA action type trigger and want thin look at a kahr pistol. Maybe a cw, p or tp series if a larger is wanted too.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I my opinion, a revolver is much easier for a novice shooter to use. being of simple mind myself, I find autos too complex, too hard to clean and ammo fussy. Those of you that are pros or semi-pros I know will disagree, but WTH?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2491 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Wow!

Semiautos common failure modes:
Failure to feed
Stovepiping
Failure to fire causing the weapon to be "dead" - no more function.

Each of those failure modes must be cleared by the operator - with skill - or the weapon is "dead".

Revolvers have none of these.

The only one even similar is if the revolver load contains a bad round resulting in a failure to fire - but the gun is not disabled by that like a semi auto is. You merely pull the trigger again and go to the next round. A semi auto is dead. Won't function until the shooter clears the dead round.

And, oh by the way, never shoot a semi auto from inside a purse or pocket or other cover. It is most likely going to be a one shot gun after the slide catches and jams on a piece of fabric or Kleenex or...
--- Doesn't apply to revolvers - shoot them through anything.

And, oh, don't get nervous and shoot with a limp wrist - the semi auto may not cycle to the next round - another jam - which must be skillfully cleared before the gun functions again.
Doesn't apply to revolvers - they don't have a force based reaction auto cycle rechamber mechanism as semi autos do. The cylinder just turns - and it goes bang.

I have seen many of these failure modes in semi autos. I have never seen a revolver jam or unable to fire. Or even heard of a jam in a revolver. Explain how a revolver could jam....

But don't take my word for it. Do your own research. Or take a gun class - they will spend a good amount of time teaching people the shortcomings of semi autos and the proper and necessary way to handle them and clear them of jams.

Revolver is the most reliable way to shoot.
-
-
-
What myth are you talking about?

You may prefer semi autos but that is your own personal preference - not to be confused with the actual characteristics of each gun type.
Primer on a factory load backed out and locked up the revolver. Almost had to take it to a gunsmith. It took over 20 minutes to get it working with the help of the range officer. We did not wnt to leave the range with a loaded firearm.
A squib can shut down any firearm

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

People Like This 
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #18

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom21 View Post
I'm having a hard deciding on which way to go as far as my concealed carry goes. So if someone could help me out with some pros and cons would be great. Thanks in advance
Either one is fine. Just depends on what you prefer. We bought my girlfriend a Ruger LCR in 38 Special (not 357 mag) for $399, which I've shot extensively. It is definitely one sweet gun! Light as a potato chip (13 oz), reliable as dirt, butter smooth trigger, and accurate as all heck. Drop it in your front pocket, and you will literally forget it's there. It's that light! Nice thing about a revolver is ya pull it out and pull the trigger. BANG! No safeties, jams or malfunctions to deal with or worry about. If a revolver ever malfunctions, it's almost always caused by the ammo, not the gun. Pay no attention to the myth that snubbies or mouse guns are not accurate or hard to shoot. With some patient and proper instruction, my 67 year old girl friend can handle her LCR just fine. I pity the poor soul if she ever has to drop the hammer on someone. For SD, 38 special is all ya need. There's way to much recoil with a 357 mag. And the 357 version is $100 more expensive. Now if it were going to do double duty as a woods gun, then I'd go with the 357. But for SD, with today's modern SD ammo, the 38 special caliber works just fine. Below are some video reviews on the Ruger LCR in 38 special.

Hickok45 has over 650 gun review vids on youtube. He's a retired police officer and does excellent reviews.

In the below video Nutnfancy explains why the 38 special is better than a 357 for SD. If ya like a 357, then go for it. It all depends on what you can shoot accurately and fast.

I've been a revolver guy most of my life, but I just recently purchased a Ruger SR40C. I just had to try one of these new polymer, striker fired autos. I have to say that they are mighty nice! I have a shooting range on my property, reload my own ammo, and practice "a lot". That's the key. Practice. If ya don't reload, consider a 9MM. Ammo is relatively cheap ($10 a box), compared to other calibers.

So it really doesn't matter what ya get (make, model or caliber). Even the diminutive little 380 is potent with today's modern SD ammo. There's a plethora of extremely fine choices in today's market. Just get what ever your comfortable with and can afford to practice with "a lot", be it revolver or auto. Then practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. Caliber or firepower won't save your butt. Skill and presence of mind will.

Before you buy "anything", go to youtube and do a search on any gun you're interested in. You will find a bazillion gun vids. (But I warn you, watching them can become addictive.)

Enjoy the journey, happy shooting, and always be safe.

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 08-28-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a group of guys I hang out with that do training and such for CCW, Police, & one retired FBI guy. They play a game of buzzer! draw! and fire!

So everyone is out on the range with their concealed carry weapon. They designate someone as shooter and when the buzzer goes off they have to draw and fire at their 12inch target only 7yds away.

Its also timed. In the mean time everybody is talking loud (age and hearing protection) and discussing things and BUZZ the damn things goes off and scares the crap out of you. The designated guy or girl rarely hit on the first shot and hardly ever get a shot off in under 3 sec. Guns are dropped, safeties forgotten and the like by the newcomers. The older and more trained guys do it pretty well.

But there is one guy who has a problem with the 1911 and speed, so he just runs down and sticks it with his knife in 3 sec flat.

The bottom line; get something you can shoot when that adrenalin jolt hits you!

Love between a man and a woman is not an emotion. It is a commitment.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #20

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Genesis ---

Yeah, that hickok45 guy is pretty good - does excellent reviews of guns. But that guy can really shoot well -there on his own range. And the in video on the 38 snubnose you offered - he shows that a snubnose - even with that short barrel can hit a distant target. Pretty impressive.
It's up to the shooter.