1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have carried a lot of guns and for me it is a Colt Commander, .45 ACP. Nice and flat and powerful. Practice, Practice, Practice til you can operate it blindfolded.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #92
Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If your revolver just sits in the dresser it can fail. Same with a semi-auto. Even jet engines cannibalize. If you use a revolver. Have it serviced every few years. The chances of failure are pretty slim.
"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/
Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #93
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer a hammerless revolver. Reason being is because if your life is being threatened you can keep it in your jacket pocket and shoot before they even see it.

I use a S&W 442 got mine a Academy Sports in Houston for about 450. It is a real light gun.

It looks just like this one
Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #94
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
Liked 3846 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 3364

I've only been shooting for about a year, mainly semi-autos. But I have read quite a bit here and elsewhere. Seems to me that the number of different ways a semi-auto can have a stoppage is a little larger than the number of ways to stop a revolver. But the question is not how many different ways are there?. The questions are how often is a stoppage going to occur and how quickly can it be rectified?

How often will a stoppage occur? Depends on the state of the handgun, the quality of the ammunition and the skill of the shooter. A dirty handgun has as much chance of failing for either type. Crappy ammunition can stop either.

The revolver may have a slight edge in the skill category since a limp wrist is unlikely to cause a stoppage on a revolver. Further, a shooter, with little enough experience that they would limp wrist it, is also unlikely to have the experience to clear the stoppage.

On the other hand, a person could give even a little attention to keeping the gun clean and functional, feeding it reasonable quality ammunition, and practicing with it a little. The person and the gun in that situation are unlikely to experience a stoppage for either type.

If I get to choose only a 1911 or a revolver, I'll probably go with the 1911 for the sake of increased capacity and ease of reloading. But I'd prefer a higher capacity semi-auto for those same reasons. That is in the context of self defense against bad guys. If I have to worry about lions and tigers and ... well, don't want to get Orangello going ... I might choose a nice fat 357 or 44 Magnum revolver for defense against big game.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.