Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/1911-vs-six-shooter-concealed-carry-70690/)

dom21 08-19-2012 05:18 PM

1911 vs. six shooter for concealed carry

I'm having a hard deciding on which way to go as far as my concealed carry goes. So if someone could help me out with some pros and cons would be great.
Thanks in advance

JonM 08-19-2012 05:43 PM

depends on what you like to shoot more. what works for me may not be your preference. i carry a springfield xdm 3.8 compact 45acp daily.

personally im not a revolver fan for CCW. if i WAS going to carry one i would be using 357magnum chambering.

revolver can use much much more effective cartridges than a semi auto. the 357 magnum 158grain hollowpoint is the undisputed king of self defense rounds. revolvers are stuck with 6 shot capacity usually with horrendously long trigger pulls. semi autos can be much smaller and still maintain ease of use. really small revolvers are very difficult to use effectivley and quickly.

the argument of reloading with SD guns is a moot one. such usage seldom goes past 5 or 6 rounds at most often with 2-3 being the average fired. i dont even typically carry an extra magazine for my semi auto but it holds either 10+1 or 13+1 depending ont he magazine im using.

if you do have to reload a revolver it is a fine motor skill that takes time and concentration which you have neither of when the adreneline is flowing. reloading a semi-auto takes gross motor skills which tend to work better under stress. but i think its a non-issue at best.

both types can fail from various causes and reasons just as frequently as the other. the differnece is buying a quality firearm and using quality accessories and ammunition. if you buy cheap expect failure to be the norm. revolvers are no more "jam proof" than a semi-auto is. revolvers not malfunctioning or jamming is an utter myth. a good quality handgun, revolver or semi auto, with good ammunitio will fire when you pull the trigger regardless of hype.

i would suggest renting good versions of each and trying before you buy at a local range

phildenton 08-20-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dom21 (Post 909134)
I'm having a hard deciding on which way to go as far as my concealed carry goes. So if someone could help me out with some pros and cons would be great.
Thanks in advance

see if there is a range that has rentals and try several of each out, the gun needs to be of adequate power [preferably .380acp/.38spl MINIMUM], it needs to fit your hand well with a good grip, and you need to be able to stay on target with it. with propper holster selection just about anything can be concealed and remain comfortable to carry all day. also need to figure out how you want to carry it, hip iwb, hip owb, shoulder vertical, shoulder horizontal, small of back, appendage carry, ankle, crossdraw or strongside, etc

Olympus 08-21-2012 12:11 AM

Or you could always go with a 627 Performance Center "Bloodwork" snubbie with an 8-round capacity. :D

Donn 08-21-2012 12:43 AM

Have both, carry both depending on situation and weather. My snubby conceals better than any of my autos, Shield included. When cooler weather comes, I'll sometimes pack my S&W model 19 4" bbl. 357mag. An auto goes with me 80-90% of the time, but I wouldn't carry a wheelgun, (or anything else), if I didn't have confidence in it.

c3shooter 08-21-2012 02:38 AM

VERY good posts above me. I carry either a compact 45 or a 38/ 357 snubby.

One thing you must consider is weight and size. I HAVE carried a full sized 1911A1 concealed- when I was an LEO, wearing a coat. It was heavy and bulky. A J frame S&W is a lot smaller, lot lighter. It goes back to the first rule of gunfighting- HAVE a gun. If you left it home in the safe because it was not convenient to carry........

Second governing factor is reliability. If it does not work 100.000000% of the time, you have a poorly designed club. Whatever you choose, be sure that it functions flawlessly WITH whatever ammo you plan to carry.

I do not feel poorly armed with .45ACP or .357 Magnum- and there ARE other good choices.

Rick1967 08-21-2012 02:44 AM

I would not be afraid to carry anything that I shoot well. Any real caliber anyway. Not a fan of 22s. Although I have carried a 22 mag in my gym shorts pocket. Just be sure that whatever you carry you are proficient with. Too many people buy a mouse gun and then never shoot it.

pioneer461 08-21-2012 04:05 PM

Need more in-put.
Are you thinking full size, or smaller?

Each platform has it's advantages and disadvantages, but as with most things in life, what works best for one person, won't necessarily work well for you. Concealing a full size handgun can be a bit more difficult than the smaller sized guns, but the smaller guns can limit such things as ammo capacity and shoot-ability. I actually own more revolvers than semi-autos, and at any given time may carry either, or both if I wish to have a backup gun (usually at work).

I would recommend that you find a well stocked gun store, or gun show, and handle as many as you can get your hands on. Once you decide which one fits your hand well, find a range that lets you rent guns, unless you know someone who will let you fire theirs, and see how it works for you. Buying a quality firearm can be an expensive proposition, but get one you really like and it can last your lifetime and that of your kids and grandkids as well.

If you are new to shooting, probably the best advice you can get, regardless of the type of gun, is to get professional training. Not just a concealed carry class, but real training from a certified instructor. Forget everything you have learned about guns from movies and Tee-Vee and erase it from your memory, because it is wrong.

Colby 08-23-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 909152)

both types can fail from various causes and reasons just as frequently as the other. the differnece is buying a quality firearm and using quality accessories and ammunition. if you buy cheap expect failure to be the norm. revolvers are no more "jam proof" than a semi-auto is. revolvers not malfunctioning or jamming is an utter myth. e

Wow!

Semiautos common failure modes:
Failure to feed
Stovepiping
Failure to fire causing the weapon to be "dead" - no more function.

Each of those failure modes must be cleared by the operator - with skill - or the weapon is "dead".

Revolvers have none of these.

The only one even similar is if the revolver load contains a bad round resulting in a failure to fire - but the gun is not disabled by that like a semi auto is. You merely pull the trigger again and go to the next round. A semi auto is dead. Won't function until the shooter clears the dead round.

And, oh by the way, never shoot a semi auto from inside a purse or pocket or other cover. It is most likely going to be a one shot gun after the slide catches and jams on a piece of fabric or Kleenex or...
--- Doesn't apply to revolvers - shoot them through anything.

And, oh, don't get nervous and shoot with a limp wrist - the semi auto may not cycle to the next round - another jam - which must be skillfully cleared before the gun functions again.
Doesn't apply to revolvers - they don't have a force based reaction auto cycle rechamber mechanism as semi autos do. The cylinder just turns - and it goes bang.

I have seen many of these failure modes in semi autos. I have never seen a revolver jam or unable to fire. Or even heard of a jam in a revolver. Explain how a revolver could jam....

But don't take my word for it. Do your own research. Or take a gun class - they will spend a good amount of time teaching people the shortcomings of semi autos and the proper and necessary way to handle them and clear them of jams.

Revolver is the most reliable way to shoot.
-
-
-
What myth are you talking about?

You may prefer semi autos but that is your own personal preference - not to be confused with the actual characteristics of each gun type.

kycol 08-23-2012 10:56 AM

If I walked out my door and I was 100% sure I would have to use my weapon to save my life. I would have my colt 357 revolver with me. Even though I have semi-autos than have performed flawless 99.999% of the time. Be it ammo, mag related there is always that .001% chance