19 or 686???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > 19 or 686???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 19 or 686???

Hey guys need some help, I have a S&W model 19-7 2.5 inch barrel .357 magnum that is in really nice shape. I have a friend who has a S&W model 686 4 inch barrel who wants to trade the guns appear to be in basically the same condition so im wondering if this is a trade I should persue I need some input from some of you revolver guys who knows their stuff. I know the 19 is not made anymore and that is one of the drawbacks to this deal for me. Help me out guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

RDK,

My opinion I would keep the Model 19 2.5". And buy something else that I wanted when the $$$ were available. And as you said the 19 2.5 is no longer being made. I also would check out gun broker for the values of both.
Not that the 686 is a bad weapon because it is not. But also if you notice your Model 19 has a small pin up by the barrel. The barrel is threaded on to your receiver. And crush fit on the 686. That was just one of the things that I wished they had not done on some of the new models. In fact when they first started production I have seen some of the receivers crack at the barrel due to stress put on it when the pressed (Crush Fit) the barrel into the receiver. Probably would never happen on the one you are considering but it has happened in the past.
May just have been a manufacturing issue at that time and I am sure they got it corrected.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Read this post (not the whole thread) for my opinion.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/advice-my-first-handgun-please-40478/#post475995

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
RDK,

My opinion I would keep the Model 19 2.5". And buy something else that I wanted when the $$$ were available. And as you said the 19 2.5 is no longer being made. I also would check out gun broker for the values of both.
Not that the 686 is a bad weapon because it is not. But also if you notice your Model 19 has a small pin up by the barrel. The barrel is threaded on to your receiver. And crush fit on the 686. That was just one of the things that I wished they had not done on some of the new models. In fact when they first started production I have seen some of the receivers crack at the barrel due to stress put on it when the pressed (Crush Fit) the barrel into the receiver. Probably would never happen on the one you are considering but it has happened in the past.
May just have been a manufacturing issue at that time and I am sure they got it corrected.
The M19-7 doesn't have a pinned barrel. The M19-4 was the last model to have the P&R. The issue with the M19 series is the forcing cone and the top strap.

The K Frame began as a .38-frame gun for the military and police. One of the weaknesses in the K-Frame is in the cut on the bottom of the barrel throat/forcing cone. This cut is to accommodate the cylinder swing. The cut presents a weak area and is acerbated by the use of light weight (read: shorter) bullets.

Here's the Cliff Notes version.

A M19 cylinder is made long enough to accommodate the full charge 158 gr bullet. When loaded with the shorter 125 gr jacketed bullet there is a longer distance required for it to reach the forcing cone. This extra time allows the hot gases to mix with the rich oxygen in the air and escapes around the bullet in the cylinder. Unlike the 158 that reaches the rifling as the base of the bullet leaves the case mouth, the 125 gas enters the barrel prior to the bullet reaching the rifling. I won't go into the physics but with the short bullet, the lion's share of gas is at the bottom, or weak point of the barrel's throat. This hot gas plasma will superheat the cone along with the blast of unburnt powder and erosion ensues. This plasma also preforms what is known as flame cutting of the frame.

When buying a M19, or any revolver for that matter, check for this light bullet issue, The good news is if you find a used 19 in great condition, feed it with modern, heavier bullets which offer equal or better performance over a broader range of velocities. I like the SWC designs developed by Elmer Keith. I stay away from jacketed rounds.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-31-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Definetly keep the 19. My 19-4 has been great. It was my father's gun as a police officer and I have been shooting it since I was about 8 years old. It is currently serving as the "go to" SD gun in the house.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 03-31-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The M19-7 doesn't have a pinned barrel. The M19-4 was the last model to have the P&R. The issue with the M19 series is the forcing cone and the top strap.

I wanted to correct you that the 19-4 was the last P&R 19 that S&W made but when I do I see you've already corrected that....stupid computers.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I wanted to correct you that the 19-4 was the last P&R 19 that S&W made but when I do I see you've already corrected that....stupid computers.
Good catch Rusty. I fat fingered the 4.

- orangello

Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I should also mention, I've put quite a bit of 158gr FMJ S&B thru mine with no ill effects. I also prefer the heavier loads in all my 357s, they just shoot nicer.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I should also mention, I've put quite a bit of 158gr FMJ S&B thru mine with no ill effects. I also prefer the heavier loads in all my 357s, they just shoot nicer.
I shoot 158 in mine also and I have found that they are softer shooting as well.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I shoot 158 in mine also and I have found that they are softer shooting as well.
I absolutely LOVE heavy 357 loads. IMO, they are easier to shoot and hit harder....I'm also a hunter so I could be biased.