Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Vermont Gun Forum > The Green Mountain State

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
At least Leahy is a vermonter who understands the second amendment his priority is to make sure mental health is part of the back ground check.
Vermonter or not he does NOT understand the 2nd Amendment ...

Quote:
Sen. Patrick Leahy said large magazines, “assault weapons” and the “gun-show loophole” must be addressed.
what is an assault weapon? and what is this gun show loophole? private sellers follow the law AS IT IS WRITTEN. This supposed loophole is a MYTH perpetrated by gun control advocates!

Quote:
“In Vermont, we restrict the number of rounds you can have in your semiautomatic for deer hunting. I think we ought to be as protective of our children as our deer,” he told Georgetown University Law School students.
Quote:
"[A]bout the only gun law we have in Vermont is during deer season. If you have a semiautomatic, you can't have more than six rounds in it. Are we really, as a nation, saying we're going to be more protective of the deer than we are of our children? I think not."
the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting!

Quote:
You could wear – carry – a loaded, concealed weapon in Vermont this afternoon if you were there, with no permit. We also have one of the lowest crime rates in the country, but not because of that.
that statement right there tells me he is a moron ... the reason VT has a lower crime rate is PRECISELY due to the fact that a majority of it's residents can be and are armed ... unknowingly by criminals. It's called DETERRANT!!!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfilamguy View Post
There is a gun show in Barre on february 9 and 10 at the B.O.R should be good if you go be sure to check out Fisher Master Armory they will have two tables and are not *******s steer clear of R&L archery they aren't very customer friendly if they make an appearance check out Black Ops Tactical, Parro's is ok but they tend to get swamped quick. Give a call if you think you might make it up I am going to try and be there both days. 802-272-2200
sounds good , thanks for the heads up

Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #33

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

Vermonter or not he does NOT understand the 2nd Amendment ...

what is an assault weapon? and what is this gun show loophole? private sellers follow the law AS IT IS WRITTEN. This supposed loophole is a MYTH perpetrated by gun control advocates!

the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting!

that statement right there tells me he is a moron ... the reason VT has a lower crime rate is PRECISELY due to the fact that a majority of it's residents can be and are armed ... unknowingly by criminals. It's called DETERRANT!!!
I'm not trying to argue with you. I agree with the points you have made but I wrote Senator Leahy and the response i got had a tone of understanding, he stated that he supported "common sense" regulations primarily making sure that mental health status must be part of the background check process. Again i am not trying to argue as his true position has yet to be seen, but any new regulation must pass through the committee he chairs. Till we see where he stands we should give him the benefit of the doubt unlike senator welch whom I also wrote and he basically said thank you for your input but I am in favor of the proposed measures. i have also taken the time to write our local level senators Doyle and Cummings both stated that they were pro constitution while I haven't gotten a response from Rep Klein. Again i am not arguing your points they are all valid i am just asking that we continue to exercise our right to voice our position to our legislators often and loudly. Make sure that you write our legislators and make it known that they will not get your vote should they choose to ignore you. If you haven't seen it already Ruger has a link that allows you to write our state reps all at once. Lets keep up the fight and get these garbage bills drowned in public discontent. We should all get together for a shoot sometime maybe you can give me a hand setting up my red dot for my Ar as i am still having trouble. I have it set up to co witness with my irons but the dot is higher than my rear sight and the elevation is bottomed out.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

response from Peter Welch

Dear Mr. Field,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the horrific slaughter of twenty six people, including twenty children, at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. I appreciate hearing from you.

The unspeakable tragedy in Newtown was a transformational moment in the national conversation on gun violence. There should be no conflict between protecting innocent children from slaughter and preserving the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. It is time for America to reach a long overdue consensus on practical steps to prevent similar tragedies from happening again.

Common sense gun legislation should be part of the solution. I intend to work with the President and Congress to support legislation that would place restrictions on the sale of assault weapons and limit high capacity ammunition clips. We must also find a better way to prevent mentally unstable individuals from obtaining a gun. We should ensure that federal agencies, as well as state and local law enforcement authorities, are sharing relevant information to improve the effectiveness of background checks. We should find ways to address the gruesome violence on display to our children every day through television, movies and video games. And we must, even in an era of fiscal restraint, improve mental health services at the local level.

In Vermont, we are fortunate not to have experienced gun violence on the scale of Newtown. And we have a long tradition of responsible gun use. Parents teach their children proper use of firearms. Families hunt together. And children learn about wildlife and the environment as they walk in the woods appreciating the wonder of Vermont's natural terrain. We can preserve this tradition while also taking meaningful steps to ensure that tragedies like Newtown, Aurora, Virginia Tech and Columbine are not repeated.

I will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress considers this issue.

Sincerely,

PETER WELCH

Member of Congress

And response from Shumlin

Dear Robert,

Thank you for writing to me and adding your voice to the conversation about gun laws in Vermont and the United States.

I support the right of law abiding citizens to own guns, but I think it is appropriate to have a broader dialogue about what we can do to prevent gun violence. I appreciate the thorough discussion led by President Obama, Vice President Biden and others. Common sense dictates that we will only make progress in curbing senseless violence in our country with a 50-state solution. I support the President's recommendations, and urge Congress to work collaboratively to adopt comprehensive federal legislation.

In addition, my administration continues to focus on strengthening communities and providing for the well-being of Vermonters by working to improve Vermont's mental health and social services. Many Vermonters have also written to me about the importance of reviewing school security procedures in an effort to prevent the kind of tragic crimes we have witnessed recently. These concerns warrant further examination and I will be working with my administration and legislators to determine how we can address violence at the state level.

As citizens of this country, we are all called upon to reflect on the small actions we can take every day to build stronger, safer communities. I thank you for joining me in this effort.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Peter Shumlin

Governor

109 State Street, Pavilion
Montpelier, Vermont 05609
802-828-3333

Neither one of their responses make me feel comfortable

Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #35

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield View Post
Neither one of their responses make me feel comfortable
Got the same ones ... make sure you reply to each and every one. Refute their positions with facts and hold them accountable for their positions ... remember, they work for you, not you for them

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #36

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

Got the same ones ... make sure you reply to each and every one. Refute their positions with facts and hold them accountable for their positions ... remember, they work for you, not you for them
I am going to send out my third round of emails gonna fish for responses from those who have avoided me so far and confirm positions from some. I know that Shumlin and Welch have for sure made the don't vote list as far as I am concerned. I'd like to find out what my local reps position is, if i get mo response this time he too will make my no vote list. Is it possible to petition for new elections if enough of us find our employees lacking? If so how?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A couple more encouraging responses:

Mr. Field,

Thank you for your comments. If you are not aware, Sen. Baruth of Burlington has withdrawn his bill, S. 32, that would have put gun rights of Vermonters at risk. It is possible that Rep. Linda Waite-Simpson of Essex Junction may introduce a different bill to curtail gun rights. I will not support any bill that adversely affects the second amendment rights of Vermonters.

Rep. Linda Myers
Essex Town

and

Robert - Thanks for your note.

My priorities for addressing general issues of violence here in Vermont include:

1. Making sure our newly revamped mental health system is adequately meeting the health needs of Vermonters with mental illnesses.
2. Cleaning up some provisions related to gun ownership which I do not believe are controversial - that includes making it illegal for a felon to possess a gun, having the state report those who have been deemed mentally incompetent by a court to the federal registry to prevent them from purchasing guns, and modernizing some of the penalties for violating existing VT gun laws (for instance, the current minimum fine for selling a gun to a minor in VT is $10!).
3. Making inroads in our efforts to deal with our biggest gun-related problem in VT, people trading guns for drugs and drug-related cash. This is a complicated problem, and gets to the roots of opiate addiction.

Stay in touch as legislation moves through the process.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Ashe
State Senator
Chittenden County

I also recieved 3 responses that acknowledged my e-mail but didn't reveal their position on the issue. Diane Snelling, Debbie Evans and Sally Fox.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #38

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have seen on youtube that there is supposed to be another nation wide rally coming up soon I think it is on the eighth of next month I unless i start working I plan to be there. Also the weekend of the ninth and tenth is the central Vt gun show at the B.O.R I plan to try and be there both days if I can. Anyone interested can give me a call my cell number is (802)272-2200 will be double checking on the rally date and will update with any new info.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

finally recieved a response from Leahy

Dear Mr. Field:

Thank you for contacting me about the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and gun control in the United States. I appreciate hearing from you on this very important issue.

The tragedy in Newtown left me shocked and horrified. As a father and grandfather, I cannot begin to imagine the pain and grief that the families of the victims are experiencing. Many constituents, like you, have written in to me in the past few weeks to express their support for meaningful changes to federal firearms policy. I have heard from parents, grandparents, veterans, teachers, hunters, and children, all expressing their belief that our laws need to be improved, and urging Congress to act. I have also heard from Vermonters, like you, who are concerned that new legislation could interfere with our Second Amendment rights.

I grew up hunting in Vermont and am still an avid target shooter. I value our Second Amendment rights, and the Supreme Court has said definitively that Americans are guaranteed its protections. But like all of the rights guaranteed by our Constitution, it is not absolute. I agreed with Justice Scalia when he wrote in the Supreme Court's District of Columbia v. Heller decision that the Second Amendment does not prohibit reasonable regulations. The factors underlying the terrible tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, are complex, and involve a host of issues relating to mental health treatment, firearms policy, and school safety. It is my hope that as this conversation continues, the Senate will hear from many Americans, including experts from law enforcement, from the mental health community, and from leaders in our educational system.

One thing that I am especially concerned about is the role that mental health records play in the purchasing of firearms. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, is an FBI database that is intended to provide licensed sellers with a quick and easy way to determine if, among other things, a buyer has a history of mental illness. Unfortunately, the majority—some estimates say as many as 91 percent—of mental health records are not in NICS, due to a lack of reporting and legitimate competing values involving privacy. But in order to be effective, the records that make up our background check system must be as complete as possible, and I support efforts to improve the inclusion of these records. In 2007, I worked with a bipartisan group of senators and representatives to pass the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007. This bill, which was unanimously passed by both the House and Senate, helped to improve the collection of records for inclusion in the federal background check system. The bill, which was unfortunately prompted by the tragic events at Virginia Tech in April of 2007, helped to improve the information sharing of criminal and mental health records between state and federal law enforcement agencies. I have supported strong funding for this law and will continue to do so and encourage state and local officials to play their important role in making the NICS database as complete as possible.

In the past weeks, many, including the President, have called for sensible changes to our federal gun laws. While this has traditionally been a difficult topic to broach in Congress. I am very hopeful that we will be able to work together and make meaningful changes to our national firearms policy, while still preserving the Second Amendment rights that Vermonters cherish. I look forward to starting this conversation early this Congress, and I plan to hold a Judiciary Committee hearing on January 30th at 10 a.m. on our national gun control policies. I encourage you to watch a live webcast of the hearing by click on the "Hearings" tab on the Committee website at www.judiciary.senate.gov and locating the hearing titled, "What Should America Do About Gun Violence?" on January 30. If there are practical, sensible, workable answers to prevent such unspeakable tragedy, we should make the effort to move them forward.

Thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

PATRICK LEAHY
United States Senator

Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #40

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Friday february 8 second amendment rally at the State House not sure of the time. There is a new bill in the house with a mag capacity limit among other measures, I wish I could make this rally but I am starting a new job this week. Also central Vt gun show is the ninth and tenth at the Barre auditorium I will be there for sure, keep an eye out for any petitions to stop current proposed legislation the only provision that benefits gun owners in the proposed bill is the lifting of the suppressor ban in this state.