Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Utah Gun Forum > Is it illegal to shoot in an open area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 866 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Before I went out shooting in open areas, I would suggest checking with the local law enforcement office. Also, the landowners need to give you permission to shoot on their land. Putting in some research for a shooting area may save you a lot of heartache later, or your life.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3174 Times on 1766 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
You have a real nice shooting range out around 56 West and 21 South. Utah State owned Lee Kay Shooting Center. I think shooting in Salt Lake county does rule out some of the West Desert.
Out by 5 mile pass, the quarry, it's illegal to shoot out there but then it's illegal to do anything out there now and there are signs posted. If you drive west of there across the Tooele county line about 5 miles there's a place where we shoot. West of Utah Lake is a good option too, you have to go pretty far south since they started building houses out there. No one has ever bothered us either of those places.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #13

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Easiest way to find out is to head over to the BLM office which is near 21st South in Salt Lake. They have maps there that show you where BLM land is and it's legal to shoot there. If it's private property you have to get permission from the owner. I would get the map to make sure you're not anywhere near some government land that you aren't supposed to be on. But I'm sure there is a ton of BLM land out that way to shoot on, worry free.