You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum >

Is it worth joining the NRA and other organizations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Is it worth joining the NRA and other organizations?

Hi. I am new to firearms and I was wondering if it's worth renewing the NRA (so far it seems like a yes). I had a free membership with a purchase of my Taurus firearm. I know a while back they were having a life membership for $300 and $500, now it's $1,000. I can do $80 for 3 years. Also are there other organizations worth looking into? I think there's GOA; few others possibly?

Thanks in Advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6026 Times on 4012 Posts
Likes Given: 3117

The NRA is the only organization that matters, Tim. The rest are too small to make a difference, nationally. Put it another way, the NRA is the most hated gun rights group in the country.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will get e-mailed to death, their hand is always out. But on the plus side, free gun insurance (up to a point). I feel good about being a member, then again my name & address is on their list.

“To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens.”
-Adolph Hitler
Floorist Likes This 
Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Liked 145 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Most important are you willing to defend your gun rights?
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 05-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11557 Times on 6130 Posts
Likes Given: 11241

I've been a life member since 1957. So, yes. it's worth joining.

"For your tomorrow, we gave our today."
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Looks like I'll be joining the NRA!
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

I have been a firearms enthusiast for about 10 years (I'm 30 now) and I joined the NRA about 2 weeks ago. I opted for the 5 year option (all I could afford at the moment). My only regret? That I didn't join at 20 years of age.

Yes, they are constantly asking for donations however when those donations are applied to the fight to keep and bare arms, is that money ill spent? Can you really blame them? Yes, you will receive emails and postal mail quite a bit but, if you are a 2nd Amendment supporter and a lover of all things guns, it's actually pretty cool.

You get a magazine subscription of your choice, free firearms insurance (I think up to $2500.00 but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). You also get a variety of discounts to NRA Supporter business' (hotels, rental cars, etc). You also gain access to certain gun ranges that only accept NRA members (and most of the ranges are among the best available).

All of the material benefits aside, though; I joined because I love my firearms. I love and support the 2nd Amendment. The NRA is THE top gun rights organization in America and I'm proud to be a part of this organization. Of course, this is my personal perspective. Others may have different reasons why they joined. Either way, good luck!
H&K P30sk 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 2 (or 1?)
Century Arms C39 Ak47 Pistol
Mossberg 500A Persuader 12 Guage
S&W SD9VE 9mm
Spikes Tactical M4a2 AR15
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4872 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 2381

Tim
YES!
Any citizen who owns a gun should belong to the NRA and for sure vote against Hillary the gun grabbing candidate. Who will alter the complexion of the Supreme Court and attack our Second Amendment Rights and the NRA.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2082 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

Absolutely worth it.

Also - life memberships are a GREAT gift, too. I have given them to Son, Son-in-law and four grandson's. Big expenditure? Sure - but we just calculated what we NORMALLY spend for BD, Christmas, etc., and when we gifted them we said "This is an ALL OCASIONS present until your birthday of 20XX. They were all VERY appreciative, we spent the same amount of money which we usually spend, and we bought them a present which they WILL enjoy for a LIFETIME.
And I told each one that the NRA does solicit a lot, so I did NOT give their phone number or E-mail address, I left that decision up to each one of them.

And now when the NRA calls me wheedling me for money, I tell them I have bought 7 life memberships, so sort of feel like I have done my part.

GOA is also a good group; not NEARLY the clout of the NRA, but they are a NO COMPROMISE group.

Christ told me to arm myself.
If you want me disarmed, Molon Labe!
towboater Likes This 
Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1896 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 816

Tim,

Depends. Do you enjoy your firearms privileges? The NRA is one of the few groups in this country that litigates infringements on our Second Amendment.

Regarding what Merc said about the NRA being "hated", they're anathema to criminals of all stripes because they actively defend the privileges of the common citizen to defend himself or herself against criminals. If the privilege to live peaceably is lost, there can be no other more idyllic privileges such as freedom of speech.

There is a growing segment of the population in this country who think some level of dictatorship would better suit their interests, which is mostly a testament to their stunning level of ignorance of human history.

If you value your freedoms, even if only in principle, then those principles must be actively defended. Stand up for your freedoms now, while it is simple and easy to do so, with little personal risk. Despite assertions you may have read of or heard of to the contrary, the ballot box and the jury box are far more user-friendly than the ammo box.
towboater Likes This