What is "discernable" mean to you and CC?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > What is "discernable" mean to you and CC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 548 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default What is "discernable" mean to you and CC?

As defined by the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws GC §411.171. Section (3)

“Concealed handgun” means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

So what is considered concealed in Texas? This is a question that I have been asking myself for awhile. In case you don't know, "printing" in Texas is illegal (i.e. the outline or any form of a gun showing through clothing).

I therefor tend to try to go for what is considered deep concealed or basically completely undetectable. But I have found that in some cases if I am carrying my big gun I will have a pressure point on the shirt where the hammer is clearly showing that something is under there, although it it impossible to tell what. If I bend over then the grip area can "print" some. At the very least I show a belt clip when my shirt is tucked in.

So to ask the question, what is considered "discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person"? Since I have started carrying, I have started checking others out. If I see a slight bulge or unevenness on a person, I try to figure out if they are carrying by watching closely.

A few days ago I was at Wal-Mart and saw a cowboy walking around and he had a clip going over his belt. I knew he was carrying IWB but then again I carry also so am I a "reasonable person"?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #2

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Your putting a lot of though into this.

IMHO... and after 17 years of EDC... as long as you dress around the gun, you should be fine.

The types of "showing" that may give you a problem are pretty extreme, such as OWB and your jacket flys open... Or IWB under a skin tight shirt.

I notice many other CCers but we know what to look for, and are curious... the sheep are called sheep for a reason. They don't notice much.

Tack

Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Tack. I'm probably just being paranoid but I don't ever want to be called out by another person or worse yet, an officer telling me that I'm not within the law. I don't want any trouble and especially from the law. I have found that many "new day" cops don't seem to believe in armed citizens.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #4

I hear you... And if your ever in that situation with that Cop the only resonse should be... "Officer, am I being detained? Or am I free to go?"

The "consensual" conversation with any Cop is simply him letting you talk long enough to give him "reasonable suspicion" to justify a search... so don't chat with Cops... They do a tough job but there not that cool.

Over the years I've packed every size and caliber under the sun but 5 years ago I decided that no BS concealment was a priority and took to carrying a subcompact 9 mm in a belly band. I position it just like an ITP holster, under a tucked in shirt and it would take a pat down to find it.

No clips to be seen by anyone and more comfortable because positioning need not avoid belt loops. Same access as say a super tuck but without the clips.

Good luck and don't worry so much... Proper dress and body mechanics will keep you concealed from all but the most observant, and we EDC ALSO so were not too worried about you.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-01-2013 at 04:26 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I think "....ordinary observation of a reasonable person" is more telling. Meant to say basically that "The average person, that's aware of what a pistol looks like and isn't blind, looking at you but not for anything in particular" Most people are oblivious to whats going on under clothing because they aren't looking for anything. Then, even if something looks out of place it can fall into a blind spot because it just doesn't register.

I, on the other hand, have made a game of trying to find another CCW since I started carrying, just because I know what printing looks like. As far as I'm concerned, CCW holders and LEO's (the only people that would know what to look for) don't qualify as "ordinary observation." You're thinking too much and you're fine.

Oregon has a similar "keep-the-dam-thing-hidden" stipulation as well.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I think "....ordinary observation of a reasonable person" is more telling. Meant to say basically that "The average person, that's aware of what a pistol looks like and isn't blind, looking at you but not for anything in particular" Most people are oblivious to whats going on under clothing because they aren't looking for anything. Then, even if something looks out of place it can fall into a blind spot because it just doesn't register.

I, on the other hand, have made a game of trying to find another CCW since I started carrying, just because I know what printing looks like. As far as I'm concerned, CCW holders and LEO's (the only people that would know what to look for) don't qualify as "ordinary observation." You're thinking too much and you're fine.

Oregon has a similar "keep-the-dam-thing-hidden" stipulation as well.
Yes they do but what's the penalty? I CC in both OR and WA and both are OC States so... What do they site you for? Your CCW covers the "concealed" part and the OC law should make incidental printing or flashing a moot point unless it's being done intentionally to intimidate someone? Right?

I've never been made but would love to hear from anyone in OC State who had an LEO encounter due to someone "making" there CCW piece.

Tack

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well just how observant is the average person? I like to think of myself as a very situational aware person. I constantly have my head on a swivel and if anyone walks closely behind me while I'm carrying then I quickly correct the situation by seeing where that person is and what they are doing.

I really think things will be much better when I get my crossbreeds supertuck holster in and can throw this soft form IWB holster into the holster box.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Yes they do but what's the penalty? I CC in both OR and WA and both are OC States so... What do they site you for? Your CCW covers the "concealed" part and the OC law should make incidental printing or flashing a moot point unless it's being done intentionally to intimidate someone? Right?

I've never been made but would love to hear from anyone in OC State who had an LEO encounter due to someone "making" there CCW piece.

Tack
It's funky. Oregon is a open carry state but the city of Portland (as well as some others) prohibit it. Now, there is legal protection for someone in one of these non-OC cities that possesses a valid CCW permit. However, A police officer could use their own discretion and cite for disturbing the peace or some such BS because OC isn't technically legal within city limits. In other words, yes a CCW holder can carrry OC in a non-OC city in Oregon legally but would probably end up having a conversation with an officer at some point. How that conversation goes is kind of up in the air. I know, it's moronic.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 05-14-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9150 Times on 3952 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

printing-pistol.jpg

Picture = 1000 words

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

"Printing" laws are mostly there as a reason for an officer to use as probable cause for something else. If you are doing your best to follow the spirit of concealed carry, you will not really have any problems, even if every now and then the butt of your gun is visible under your shirt.

Most people see absolutely NOTHING! My pocket holster very much looks like a gun in my pocket. Nobody has EVER EVER EVER said anything or even seemed that they noticed.

In fact I have NEVER had anybody indicate to me that they noticed something.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
Cattledog Likes This