Texas pig hunting ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Texas Gun Forum > Texas pig hunting ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 504 Times on 310 Posts

If you want to come down to Texas and hunt hogs first off you will need a hunting license. Second look at some of the big ranches down here some will charge from 250 a person to 1000, just do some research so you don't get screwed. Like no kill no pay. Good luck in your search .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
That's in the plans. I'm going to put a Pulsar N550 digital nightvision scope on my LR-260 AR-10 as soon as I can afford it.

Right now we are using a couple Laser Genetics ND-3 lasers on our rifles,and also the bigger handheld ND-5,along with a remote controlled GO Light on the roof of my truck and also handheld spotlights.
If they are within 300 yards of us at night,they die!
What other brands or models of NV have you used or recommend. I live in open country and shoot a lot coyotes and would like to see and shoot at 500 yds. What would you buy if funds weren't the option ?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
What other brands or models of NV have you used or recommend. I live in open country and shoot a lot coyotes and would like to see and shoot at 500 yds. What would you buy if funds weren't the option ?
All of the NV stuff that I've looked thru would work out to around 300 yards max.
I'm sure some of the really expensive stuff $10K and up would probably be able to be used at longer ranges,but I don't know if you could see yotes or hogs well enough to shoot them at that range.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why would you shoot any animal under low light conditions at 300-500 yards. How can you focus and control a shot with in a 12" area in the dark at 500 yards? An animal taking a slow death "Gut" shot in the dark at 500 yards will die slowly in the Sage brush. Why?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #15

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Nite is right.
And heaven forgive me but I LOVE watching hog-hunt videos. I hate the things...

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #16

I never hated any animal. The critter is just making a living the best way he can. I did kill a sidewinder with a lot of anger. The damn thing bit my Gordon Setter for no reason.
I have always harvested animals for meat and hides. That said I believe in respect for the animal that is killed. That most likely reflects my young years hunting with people of the First Nations.

"Take Only What you need"

chatto-200x304-2-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #17

Liked 4705 Times on 2276 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I never hated any animal. The critter is just making a living the best way he can. I did kill a sidewinder with a lot of anger. The damn thing bit my Gordon Setter for no reason.
I have always harvested animals for meat and hides. That said I believe in respect for the animal that is killed. That most likely reflects my young years hunting with people of the First Nations.

"Take Only What you need"
With game animals this is true...

Feral Hogs are not game animals. They are an invasive destructive species that also happen to taste pretty good.

I'm looking forward to my future hog hunt and hoping to do it "cowboy style" with a lever action rifle and an S/A Army... To keep it sporting and all.

Hogs are like Green Eggs and Ham... I'd kill em in the day, I'd kill em in the hay, I'd kell em in the dark, I'd kill em for a lark!

Tack

Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF
If you want to come down to Texas and hunt hogs first off you will need a hunting license. Second look at some of the big ranches down here some will charge from 250 a person to 1000, just do some research so you don't get screwed. Like no kill no pay. Good luck in your search .
I thought you only have to have a hunting license to hunt feral hogs on public land?
My understanding is you can hunt them on private property with no need of a license, as long as you are a guest of the land owner? Unless being an out of state hunter requires a license?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #19

Any animal that requires a hunting licenses is a game animal. Great herds of Elk 1,000s at a time do incredible damage to ranch and public range.
In Texas Hogs are a very Big cash crop for land owners. They charge very high fees to kill these problem hogs. I fish near Sea Drift, Txs and there are many hogs. That said, you will pay big bucks for every hog you shoot.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 AM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 504 Times on 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked

I thought you only have to have a hunting license to hunt feral hogs on public land?
My understanding is you can hunt them on private property with no need of a license, as long as you are a guest of the land owner? Unless being an out of state hunter requires a license?
No Texas game law require you to have a hunting license, all game animals. Even though they are nuisance animal and cause a lot of damage.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"